Petrus

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Here you have drawings of 'Eskaderledare' (or Flotilla Leader) project made in Sweden in 1947 that may be founde elsewhere on the Internet (I believe they are genuine). The drawings seemquite self-explanatory.

The ship's main battery was four twin 'LT' ('Lufttorped' or Air Torpedo) launchers. Probably the 'air torpedoes' were Robot 310 missiles (or their derivative).

Information on the Swedish experimental naval missiles may be found at https://www.robotmuseum.se/ROBOT/Robothistorik/03_Marin/ARM_rb_marin.htm (at https://www.robotmuseum.se there is plenty of information on all Swedish-made missiles), everything over there is in Swedish, but using Google Translate you may have it readable in English. The site contains quite a few pictures on the missiles as well.

At http://www.artiklar.z-bok.se/Robotar.html there is another article (in Swedish) on the country's early missiles.

Piotr

Attachments

• Eskaderledare 1947 01.jpg
    Eskaderledare 1947 01.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 478
  • Eskaderledare 1947 02.jpg
    Eskaderledare 1947 02.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:
The Swedes never ceases to amaze me!

This Robot 310 Rocket, I suspect it was designed for anti ship and anti installation mission

No, I don't think so, I would remember. A carrier and hybrid cruiser-carrier was posted some time ago, but not this guided missile destroyer leader.

Never seen this before!
A great find, perhaps one of the first missile destroyers ever designed? Interesting how they saw the missile as replacing the guns like for like.

Yes and the turrets reminds me of the Soviet versions of the V-1 Flying Bomb launchers intended for the Stalingrad class Battlecruisers when considered to finish them as missile battlecruisers or a different project of F-25 with 16kh missiles:

F-25.png

interesting drawing Tzoli, is that a helicopter depicted on the rear deck too in the sectional elevation? (looks almost like a FA.223 Drache ?)

cheers, Joe

I think yes. Here is the Stalingrad project very similar to Havaii's conversion proposal.
Stalingrad_rocket1.png

300px-Stalingrad_rocket2.png

Stalingrad_rocket3.png

Last edited:
Could the helicopter on rear deck of F-25 actually be a projected Kamov Ka-22 (although that only took to the air a few years later)?
Tzoli, could you please post image(s) of missile-carrying Stalingrad Class showing the entire ship, or direct me to where these might be found elsewhere online? Thanks.

I've first found them on an old russian website many years ago I will try to find it again. For Stalingrad the drawings now posted on the russian page of World of Warships data page about the Staligrads though the images are way older then the game. Will check if they are mentioned in Stalin's Ocean going fleet book.

I suggest posting the F-25 posts to a separate thread, but I've found another image and 2 alternative versions:
F-25 clearer image: (3 launchers)
q3MrXgS.jpg

F-25A: (4 launchers)
zpeiQDu.jpg

2rYROZj.jpg

and F-25B: (5 launchers Mogami style)
0FTfWzU.jpg

Stalin's Ocean going fleet book only has this small section on the F-25:

At the same time, about 1949/50 the MiG-bureu developed an air-
launched missile Komet, based on the fuselage of the jet-fighter MiG-15. The developing engineer,
A.Ya. Bereznyak, founded a design bureau Raduga and developed from the design in 1953 a ship-board
missile, the S-2/Strela. From April to October 1955 the projekt 68-bis cruiser Admiral Nakhimov
was equipped at the No. 444 yard in Nikolaev with containers for this missile on both sides of the
forward 152mm gun turrets, from which the missiles were transported by rail to the launcher at the
bow From November 1955 to December 1957 firing tests were made, but this design, projekt 67EP,
was not considered a success, and the cruiser was laid up and scrapped in 1961/62.71 The TsKB-17
under the direction of V.V. Ashik, who had designed the projekt 67EP, also developed other more
advanced projects, such as the 67SI and 67, in which the gun turrets were removed and replaced with
a big magazine SM-58 for missiles and on top a container for preparing the missile for launching
from a ramp on both ends of the ship. There were also some designs for armoured turrets with one,
two and three start ramps for missiles of the type 1OKhN and the improved 16Kh, and the Ashik
bureau even developed sketch designs for rebuilt battlecruisers of projekt 82, projekts F-25,
F-25A, and F-25B, and other versions of projekt 68-bis cruisers, and even for rebuilding the
former German cruiser Tallinn/projekt 83 into a missile ship for the P-10 missiles designed by
G.M. Beriev. The missiles were equipped with a beam-riding guidance, and the horizon-range could be
extended by the use of helicopters.

Also these might help how would these missile launchers worked:

Drawings and photos of the Torpedo-Missile launcher combo of the Halland class:
The single launcher was for RB-315, the twin was after the refit for RB-08A Anti Ship missiles.

Attachments

• IMG_4611.JPG
    IMG_4611.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 232
  • IMG_4612.JPG
    IMG_4612.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 193
  • IMG_4613.JPG
    IMG_4613.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 182
  • IMG_4614.JPG
    IMG_4614.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 181
  • IMG_4421.JPG
    IMG_4421.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 184
  • IMG_4423.JPG
    IMG_4423.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 242

The single launcher was for RB-315, the twin was after the refit for RB-08A Anti Ship missiles.

How many missiles (Rb-315 or Rb-08) were held in the Halland-class destroyer magazine?

Piotr

How many missiles (Rb-315 or Rb-08) were held in the Halland-class destroyer magazine?

Piotr
According to Navypedia, two RB-315 originally and two RB-08A after refit. So one plus one reload originally and one missile for each rail after refit.

According to Navypedia, two RB-315 originally and two RB-08A after refit. So one plus one reload originally and one missile for each rail after refit.

Strange, I visited Smaland in Gothenburg, and it looked like the magazine could hold more missiles(maybe 6-8?). Maybe I got the wrong impression?

After seeing Petrus' root post, this image of Sovietskiy Soyuz JFS 1.jpg from Jane's Fighting Ships 1949-50 finally makes sense to me. All of these years I have thought that the missile launchers depicted here were just the artist's fantasy. However, they clearly are based on then current Swedish tech, projected onto an impression of a Soviet project. Jane's notes that the information comes from Swedish sources, reporting that "They are said to be equipped with two catapult towers for firing radio-controlled aerial torpedos,...".

Jane's has this report of the Project 23, Sovietskiy Soyuz, which collapsed during the war, confused with the then current Project 82, Stalingrad. I am going to post more information on the Project 23 thread.