Richard N

Lost in the Sky
Reaction score

Attachments

• Supermarine Secret Projects Vol. 1.jpg
    Supermarine Secret Projects Vol. 1.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
A subset/extract of Ralph's earlier book (see below) or some new info?

9780750965156.jpg

Calling Schneiderman

A subset/extract of Ralph's earlier book (see below) or some new info?

Calling Schneiderman
It covers a longer timespan, not just the Mitchell years, includes new material and is not a cut-and-paste from the earlier book, although, obviously, it does cover many of the same projects. The larger page format has allowed me to produce GA drawings at a larger scale too. Volume 2, which should be out this summer, covers bombers and fighters, and that runs right from 1914 through to 1958.
Go on, treat yourself, its good value for money ;)

There were many projects never discovered to this company,and its
archive has many drawings to unknown aircraft as I heard ?.

Matt Painter's incredible cover art - Supermarine Type 347 - without the graphics.
Very expressive illustration!
Thanks for sharing!
But, in my humble opinion, wing's upper surface looks too flat for the conventional airfoile.
Is this aircraft euqipped with leading edge slats and they are in extended position on the painting?
This could made such visiual effect of too flat wing.

P.S. The books seems to be very promising!

Matt Painter's incredible cover art - Supermarine Type 347 - without the graphics.
Very expressive illustration!
Thanks for sharing!
But, in my humble opinion, wing's upper surface looks too flat for the conventional airfoile.
Is this aircraft euqipped with leading edge slats and they are in extended position on the painting?
This could made such visiual effect of too flat wing.

P.S. The books seems to be very promising!
Just an illusion from the lighting angle and the curvature is readily apparent from the panel lines. The aerofoil was taken straight from the Supermarine blueprint so it is as intended for the project and not a matter of opinion or interpretation. Yes, there are outboard leading edge slats but they are not extended in this rendering, as you can see.

Is an ebook version planned?
Here here!

My physical library is full and my eyes do better with Kindle anyway
The publisher would have to answer that, but as it is only going to be around 7mm thick I'm sure that you can find a suitable gap in your library somewhere.
You would be surprised.

I am not as bad as GTX and usually only have single copies of most books, although there was an Amazon comedy of errors several years ago that left me with multiple copies of a couple of Friedman and Brown titles as well as a full refund.

One piece of errata

The diagram of the 3 competing Supermarine Type 117 designs only shows two of the competing designs with the diagram of the Merlin-engined design being repeated twice, and as a result there is no diagram of the Taurus-engined monoplane with the cockpit faired into the engine pylon.

You are correct, a layout error that was not spotted during proof reading. I spotted it yesterday, too late, and informed the publisher. Annoying as the missing 3-view is the aircraft used for the cover image.
Here is a corrected version of the page I pieced together.

Attachments

• 117 corrected.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 119
I have bought a copy of this, it's a wonderful account of Supermarine's seaplane history and development, and well worth the money. Mr Pegram, you have done an amazing job.

You are correct, a layout error that was not spotted during proof reading. I spotted it yesterday, too late, and informed the publisher. Annoying as the missing 3-view is the aircraft used for the cover image.
Here is a corrected version of the page I pieced together.
Thanks for sharing!

Could you be so kind to tell, if the biplane layout has had folding wings? This version resembles original "Walrus" biplane, and in my humble opinion, could be "back-up" (most conventional) of all layouts' presented by Supermarine for the Navy requirements.

There is no indication on the GA drawing for any form of wing folding, which, to be honest, is rather odd.

There is no indication on the GA drawing for any form of wing folding, which, to be honest, is rather odd.
Thank you! This biplane layout, IMHO, represent synthesis of proven and advanced solutions.
My question arises after watching this video:

Catapult Ships Royal Navy Instructional Film (1940)

Yes, you are right. Both of the monoplane concepts used the variable incidence wing as designed for the Type 322 'Dumbo', and that had yet to be proven as the aircraft would not fly for another couple of years, so the biplane was the safe option The aircraft the amphibian was intended to replace, the Type 309 Sea Otter, also had no wing folding in its military form but would have when it was adapted later for civil use as the Type 503.

I acquired this book today from Smiths which was a syrprise but nice. A quick skim through has me fascinated already. Thanks for the book and the pdf on this page.

My copy took three weeks to arrive in NL, but well worth the wait.
Eagerly awaiting Supermarine Secret Projects Vol. 2 - Fighters & Bombers
Volume 2, which should be out this summer, covers bombers and fighters, and that runs right from 1914 through to 1958.
Go on, treat yourself, its good value for money ;)

My copy took three weeks to arrive in NL, but well worth the wait.
Eagerly awaiting Supermarine Secret Projects Vol. 2 - Fighters & Bombers
Three weeks? It would have been quicker for me to bring a copy over by hand ;). I guess Easter, King's birthday over there and all the fun and games with the tail back of lorries at Dover plus P&O ferries being on the naughty step all adds to the fun. I'm glad you enjoy the book

Mortons had this to say on April 9:
Orders for books in stock will be packed and despatched within 24 hours of order receipt.
International orders are currently taking between 4-8 weeks to arrive due to international post being slower than normal.
At least a week fast, so I'm happy.
Here's hoping for July 22.

Attachments

• Supermarine Secret Projects Vol 2.jpg
    Supermarine Secret Projects Vol 2.jpg
    875.8 KB · Views: 118
I know there is a place to pre order but my links page is about as useful as Hens teeth right now. Pointer anyone?

OK, found their site but not up for pre- order yet.

My copy arrived Wednesday and just the initial flip-through shows it to be a fascinating book.

BRAVO!!

I know there is a place to pre order but my links page is about as useful as Hens teeth right now. Pointer anyone?

OK, found their site but not up for pre- order yet.
No, it isn't but I just checked with the publishers and the July publication date is still their plan. I'll let people know when it is listed

Just got my copy today and it's as good as I expected. My only complaint is that the very light line weight used for the line drawings makes them rather difficult to see. I know you want to show fine detail, but a slightly heavier line weight would be beneficial.

Just got my copy today and it's as good as I expected. My only complaint is that the very light line weight used for the line drawings makes them rather difficult to see. I know you want to show fine detail, but a slightly heavier line weight would be beneficial.
Its a subject that I discussed with the publisher and also a fellow author before the book was prepared. Opinion was divided as to what was preferable provided that the paper quality and printing could handle fine lines. Personally I prefer the lighter look, but I accept that others do not. Not too late (although we are talking days) to change things for Vol2 if there is strong feeling against the way Vol1 looks.