Sukhoi PAK FA news and speculation (T-50, I-21) Part I [2006-2008]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very funny...do you have a sense of humor?

Yes but i couldn't understand what you mean very well.For this reason I asked this question but now I understood ;D

What do you think.Does three prototypes enough for creating a 5th generation aircraft(PAK-FA)?.And how many prototypes had used for su-27 or mig-29.Do you have any information?

Meteorit said:
Ogami musashi said:
it doesn't say if it's a military or civil plane ihmo it's a civil.

But it says "The Russian Federation defense ministry and Rosoboronehksport [state arms export company] will be customers"...

Perhaps its the new MiG-35?

Mig-35 plans at Sokol confirmed.
http://www.dp.ru/nnovgorod/news/industry/2008/02/04/257916/

Aviation Plant Sokol will make MiG-35s
08:19, 04 February 2008

OAO Nizhny Novgorod Aviation Plant Sokol (United Aircraft Manufacturing Corporation company) is preparing for production of the new MiG-35, developed by RSK MiG.

The plane is scheduled to put on the market at the turn of 2009-2010. At the end of 2008, Sokol plans to begin serial production of Yak-130 aircraft to order the Defense Ministry. It is reported to IF-Region with reference to the aircraft factory Director General Mikhail Shybayev.

medal64 said:
What do you think.Does three prototypes enough for creating a 5th generation aircraft(PAK-FA)?.And how many prototypes had used for su-27 or mig-29.Do you have any information?

Were two of each type prototypes of ATF designs enough? So you can anser your questions yourself. Regarding Su-27 and Mig-29, there are wealth of info on the net.

I don't know how many prototypes used for su-27 or mig-29.I wanted to learn.At some forums there are talks about three prototypes are not enough for PAK-FA but I don't think so.For this reason I asked this question.At forums talks are about;USA used 9+ prototypes for F-15,France and Sweden used 5 prototypes for Rafale and Gripen.I wanted to learn generally in Russia does companies use less prototypes for the development.

Sukhoi T-10 - 12 prototypes (T-10-1 to T-10-12)

Sukhoi T-10C (Su-27) prototypes and Test & Evaluation aircrafts

T-10C-1 (ex. T-10-7)- lost in 1981, pilot ejected
T-10C-0 (ex. T-10-8) - static tests
T-10C-2 (ex. T-10-12) - lost in 1981, pilot killed

Т-10-15 (future P-42)
Т-10-16
Т-10-17 almost lost in 1983, landed with half of wing console and vertical tail destroyed
Т-10-18
Т-10-20
Т-10-21
Т-10-22
Т-10-23
Т-10-24
Т-10-25
Т-10-26
Т-10-27

flateric said:
Sukhoi T-10C (Su-27) prototypes and Test & Evaluation aircrafts

T-10C-1 (ex. T-10-7)- lost in 1981, pilot ejected
T-10C-0 (ex. T-10-8) - static tests
T-10C-2 (ex. T-10-12) - lost in 1981, pilot killed

To avoid confusion, the Kyrillic 'C' must be read as Latin 'S' (T-10S ...). Sometimes it's written without a dash (T10S). Forgive me, Flateric ;) .

flateric said:
Were two of each type prototypes of ATF designs enough? So you can anser your questions yourself. Regarding Su-27 and Mig-29, there are wealth of info on the net.

There is a difference between demonstration aircraft and real test vehicles. The two YF-22/YF-23 could be seen as first prototypes, but they were essentially demonstration aircraft. Later 9 series prototypes has been built, complemented by 18 or so PRTVs (instrumented production aircraft).

And I wonder that in the near future will Ruaf get mig-35 and su-35BM without PAK-FA or will Rusaf use this aircrafts as competitor of the F-35.I mean for not to spend too much money PAK-FA will these aircrafts be the cheap F-35 competitors.

Scorpion82 said:
flateric said:

There is a difference between demonstration aircraft and real test vehicles. The two YF-22/YF-23 could be seen as first prototypes, but they were essentially demonstration aircraft. Later 9 series prototypes has been built, complemented by 18 or so PRTVs (instrumented production aircraft).

I think that we can agree that what will fly in 2009 (or 2010) will be truly *demonstrator*. While YF-22 and YF-23 flew with at least actual engine prototypes, T-50 will make maiden flight with Article 117C, which no way engine that airfame was intended for.

medal64 said:
And I wonder that in the near future will Ruaf get mig-35 and su-35BM without PAK-FA or will Rusaf use this aircrafts as competitor of the F-35.I mean for not to spend too much money PAK-FA will these aircrafts be the cheap F-35 competitors.

MiG-35 and Su-35 were designed and built with the export as the main goal.

Whan creating a 5th generation aircraft its sure that you must have the latest technologies for producing the aircraft parts and for calculating the parts specifications.Does supercomputers have a big role at creating an aircraft.Does sukhoi or Mig have supercomputers.Almost I know boeing and lockheed martin have supercomputers.What is the role of supercomputers at aircaft industry.

medal 64,
of course they have access to supercomputers.... in fact they apparently have atleast two IBM supercomputers ( blue gene no less) that they acquired earlier :) ... seriously Russia today has plenty of access to computing tech from the west and has also developed its own stuff. . Also, Please do not forget that no matter how much some westerners may disparage the Indian contribution to this project, we will precisely bring those things to the table that the Russians may be a little behind in. Computing power is fast becoming India's forte and besides govt agencies like C-DAC, Pune and others who have been churning out top end supercomputing we also have the Tata funded CRL, Pune which recently created the fourth fastest supercomputer in the world. This list can go on .. but I have posted, only to give you an idea of the fact that the PAK-FA project will certainly not be hamstrung due to inadequate computing resources, given the Indian involvement. I must also add that given that there is no lack of financial resources either, more supercomputers can be imported :)

fastest of course is meaningless when talking about aerospace modelling .. but again computational fluid dynamics requires some pretty nifty computing power .... moreover flight control laws etc also have to be perfected ..... so computing power is essential .. not to mention the mission computer itself. Of course the mission computer isn't exactly what you may call a super duper computer ;)

Moreover, I remember a story that when USSR has obtained some supercomputers for TsAGI and MiG (via some complicated ways through third-party companies as it used to be those Cold War times) in 80s, some specially written code lines were discovered in mainframe software that were intended for crashing data results and data archives at given moment. But it may be another KGB scary tale.

Flateric,
The USSR also used to import some supercomputers from india in the eighties for "agricultural" and other processes. These were supplied by the then Computer Maintenance Corporation (CMC) which is today a part of TCS - Asia's largest IT company. Moreover Indian and russian 'experts' are pastmasters at debugging western software controls on mainframes. irrespective of the base processor the architecture and software involved can easily be adapted. Only thing is - the bugs would have been planted by some indian expatriate coder in the first place. ;)

Aviation Plant Sokol will make MiG-35s
08:19, 04 February 2008

OAO Nizhny Novgorod Aviation Plant Sokol (United Aircraft Manufacturing Corporation company) is preparing for production of the new MiG-35, developed by RSK MiG.

The plane is scheduled to put on the market at the turn of 2009-2010. At the end of 2008, Sokol plans to begin serial production of Yak-130 aircraft to order the Defense Ministry. It is reported to IF-Region with reference to the aircraft factory Director General Mikhail Shybayev.

Flateric sorry but I think this aircraft will also get by the USAF even if IAF don't choose.And do you have any idea about how will the goverment support mig corporation.Or not it can live bad days in the future.Because most of the aircraft buyers are choosing the sukhoi for their orders.

Source : Russia & CIS Observer
Date : 17 June 2007
Author : Piotr Butowski

Russia's new-generation PAK FA fighter — being developed by the Sukhoi Design Bureau — will have not only feature a new airframe, radar, avionics and engines. It also will be equipped with new-generation weapons that are being evolved in two parallel paths: the continued modernization of existing missiles with stepped improvement of their capabilities; and the design of next-generation weapons.

GosMKB Vympel, Russia's leading air-to-air missile design bureau, is busy evolving a full spectrum of missiles for the PAK FA, ranging from short-range weapons to long-range variants. In 2010, Vympel expects to complete its development of the short-range Izdeliye 760 missile — which is a significantly modernized version of the R-73 weapon, outfitted with an inertial flight control system and course correction receiver, improved rocket engine and with new multi-mode infrared seeker. The Izdeliye 760 is expected to be a close counterpart to the Western-built ASRAAM and Sidewinder AIM-9X missiles.

Three years later, the new-generation K-MD short range missile (also to be designated the Izdeliye 300) is to be operational. When compared to Izdeliye 760, the new missile will have longer range and will be capable of being launched from any direction; it will be also more resistant to jamming. The K-MD will be fitted with a new imaging infrared seeker enabling identification of target according to memorized images. The seeker's lock-on range will be two times greater than the seeker for the Izdeliye 760 missile. A new adaptive warhead will be introduced, and the missile's control will be performed with aerodynamic surfaces, as well as a thrust-vector engine nozzle.

Russia's most modern medium-range air-to-air missile is the R-77 (Izdeliye 170) and its export derivative RVV-AE (Izdeliye 190). A phased modernization of this weapon, designated the K-77-1 (Izdeliye 170-1), is now being tested. In addition, the K-77M (Izdeliye 180) missile is currently under development as a second step in the R-77's modernization. The most visible change in the Izdeliye 180's external appearance compared to the R-77/RVV-AE is replacement of its latticework fins by more common flat aerodynamic control planes. This reduces aerodynamic drag and cuts down on the radar cross-section. The missile will be fitted with a modernized active radar seeker and new double pulse solid-propellant engine. Its maximum range will be 2-3.5 times more than the Izdeliye 170 (R-77) missile, depending on the launch altitude. The Izdeliye 180 is expected to be better than the AMRAAM AIM-120C7 missile, and equal to its successor versions, with a service-ready date targeted for 2010.

A future medium-range air-to-air missile as a follow-on to the Izdeliye 180 also is in development, but no additional information has yet to be released about this weapon.

Russia is the only country developing ultra-long range air-to-air missiles able of reach targets at distances of up to 400 km. Two such missiles are competing to be a basic weapon on the PAK FA fighter: the Izdeliye 172 (K-100) from Novator, and the Izdeliye 810 from Vympel.

All air-to-air weapons on the PAK FA (including the largest Izdeliye 172 missile) are designed to be carried in the aircraft's internal weapons bay. To allow these weapons to be deployed from the internal bay, Vympel is designing two types of ejection release units capable of carrying 300 kg and 700 kg loads.

The PAK FA also is expected to carry its basic complement of air-to-ground weapons internally. These include the modernized Kh-58Ush long-range anti-radiation missile, the newly-developed Kh-36 short-range anti-radiation missile, the new short-range electro-optical Kh-38 missile, as well as the UAB-250 and KAB-500M guided bombs. Heavier weapon types will be carried on the aircraft's external pylons.

these were of course expected given that internal carriage is essential to maintain design based stealth .......

In НПО "Saturn" is put solemnly into operation the new modern industrial case

Today in НПО "Saturn" solemn opening the new modern industrial case on механообработке details газотурбинной technics took place. A total area of industrial premises - 14 thousand square meters, is administrative-household premises - 2,5 thousand square meters. The first turn of the case where the site of the new precision process equipment has settled down, has been put in operation in the end of 2007. The second turn is planned to delivery in 2008.

In construction of the industrial case №101 - in furnish of facades, a roof, all industrial and household premises - the advanced materials and technologies have been used. Spacious premises are provided by all necessary systems (systems of a heat supply, ventilation, air-conditioning) for ability to live of modern manufacture, for operation of the precision processing centers and control and measuring machines. Qualitatively new, modern conditions for work of the personnel are created.

Today НПО "Saturn" masters and starts in a batch production new kinds газотурбинной technics which is created according to the international standards and the requirements shown to hi-tech production. According to it the company realizes the program of capital construction and reconstruction of industrial buildings and constructions, and also objects of social sphere. The total area of industrial targets НПО put into operation "Saturn" for last five years has made more than 76 thousand square meters.

Acting on solemn meeting заводчан, general director НПО "Saturn" Jury Lastochkin has noted:

" Today pleasant event which we for a long time waited and have made everything that this event took place. For short term all of us have together constructed the first turn of the new industrial case. Total amount of investments into this object - more than 400 million roubles, almost three ten new processing centers, creation is perfect other working conditions. And today we move aside input of the second turn of the case.

Some time back we bought the new equipment is individual, then - separate lines, now actually we buy the new equipment the whole shops. It actually the real answer to calls of time, is real business in a context of about what much recently it is spoken also by the President of Russia Vladimir Putin, and future President Dmitry Medvedev - the present innovative technologies. We get the new equipment to do new hi-tech production which will buy the world market.

Other working conditions for people are created absolutely, at what not for tens, and for thousand employees НПО "Saturn". Practically every year we make enormous positive changes to services of designers, technologists, in industrial shops. We enter thousand workplaces of a modern level. Certainly, it is necessary to do more, certainly, it is necessary to do more quickly. But I assure, and today it is done not a little. The last year's volume of investments is a 1,5 billion roubles in civil and erection works, it more than 2,4 billion roubles in purchase of the equipment and creation of modern bench base.

Work above this case, above this project is a sample of how we need to work and further. Yes, not all went smoothly, but all has turned out! Today, having received a huge operational experience on the complex dear equipment, on the processing centers, we come back to purchases of the equipment universal - turning, milling machine tools which today are necessary. Since this year, at a factory will vary on 300-400 machine tools in a year. And first of all - they will come in this new shop in which all equipment will be completely replaced.

I thank you for the intense work and I think, that our efforts are not vain, because before us huge problems - creations and manufactures new газотурбинных engines for Russia in maintenance of its defensibility, power safety and territorial integrity " cost.

Open Society " Research-and-production association "Saturn" - leading двигателестроительная the company, specializes on development, manufacture and service газотурбинных engines for military and civil aircraft, the ships of Navy fleet, энергогенерирующих and газоперекачивающих installation

Date:15.02.2008
Source:www.aviaport.ru

Do you have any information about are the companies working on the PAK-FA's engine.Did NPO Saturn and Salyut get enough money for development?

Really interesting reading. I suspect that CIS engineers, having had a history of inadequate computing power and still get good results, will have an edge in using newer computers.

IAF-HAL team to visit Russia

Ravi Sharma

The fifth generation fighter aircraft to be discussed

Aircraft to be modelled on the lines of the BrahMos missile

It is likely to be operational around 2015

BANGALORE: Indo-Russian military-technical cooperation will get a boost next week. A team of senior officials from the Indian Air Force and the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) is visiting Russia to discuss and negotiate issues pertaining to the futuristic fifth generation fighter aircraft that the two countries are planning to jointly design, develop and eventually produce.

Led by the Air Force’s Assistant Chief of the Air Staff (Plans) Air Vice Marshal N.V. Tyagi, the team, which also has among its members an official from HAL’s Aircraft Research and Development Centre, Bangalore and another from HAL’s Aircraft Upgrades Research and Development Centre, Nashik, will leave for Moscow on Monday.

Under an intergovernmental agreement inked during last October’s session of the Indo-Russian Intergovernmental Commission on Military-Technical Cooperation in Moscow the two countries will jointly design, develop, and manufacture the fifth generation multi-role jet fighter.

Already under design by Russia’s Sukhoi aircraft company (the prototype is scheduled to fly in 2009), work on the fifth generation aircraft is to be modelled on the lines of the successful BrahMos missile joint venture between the two countries.

The funding, engineering and intellectual property is to be shared by the two sides in an equal measure. The fighter will be inducted into the air forces of both countries, besides being exported to third countries.

Official sources told The Hindu that issues pertaining to the preparation of a preliminary project report on the project, details of the work that has already been carried out by the Russian side, the eventual work share between the two sides, the work that Indian companies, especially HAL, should undertake, and costs will be discussed during the meetings.

While the Russian version will have a Russian engine, the Indian version could have a western engine. The aircraft is likely to be operational around 2015.

Both India and Russia are pining hopes on the fifth generation aircraft giving a new fillip to ties between the two countries. During the signing of the agreement, Defence Minister A.K. Antony had remarked that it marked “the start of cooperation in the development of state-of-the-art new-technology weapon systems.”

http://www.hindu.com/2008/02/17/stories/2008021755230900.htm

Some 30% of Russian fifth-generation fighter program implemented – Sukhoi head

Source:http://www.militarynews.ru/EMAIN.ASP
Date:20.02.2008

Can anyone send us the full news.It has two parts.

http://www.vedomosti.ru/newsline/index.shtml?2008/02/20/550737

you know I get the feeling that this PAK-FA project never really began nor is it ever going to end ..... It is a mere snapshot of a process of iterative aerospace development that began with the soviets and is essentially a label given to a particular design in a series of designs that has been earmarked for production. The PAK FA is neither the beginning nor the culmination of some specific effort. the russians had all along kept the process going at a low level ... an effort now bolstered by oil power and a booming Indian economy ... hence 30 per cent in just a few months. In any case using such figures in a process is actually not very revealing .... for e.g are we talking about flight hours, compartmentalised milestones like weapons tests , FBW , dry thrust, airframe design , What? its just something for the media to chew on.

here is what a poster named Hexpop has to say at ForumKeypublishing
It is now almost definitely known that PAK-FA will be capable to carry heavy missiles of "R-37 class" internally. Speculations claim that it will be possible six of them to be carried, also as another option eight middle range "AIM-120 class" instead (non lattice fins), or mixed - three + four. The number of the short range missiles is unknown. The suggestions are for four, "ASRAAM class". Which makes exactly 12 missiles internally as an option.

If this has any validity we are looking at an HCA

That the first thing that comes to mind. Hexpop just re-translates discussions of PAK-FA at Russian-speaking forums, which, in turn, are 99,9% truly speculations.

When you'll try to imagine internal carriage of 12 missiles, you can come to the same conclusion. I draw my own after discussion with chaps that were directly involved in weapons bay work for 1.42

you are of course correct .... 12 is off by a huge margin .. i think even the strategic 7.01 managed 8 or so
... but i still feel the FGFA (for us in India :THAT'S what we are calling the pak-fa) will be a HCA

Let's relax and wait.

Someone was asking about Flankers production rate at the Soviet times
According to source involved in production at KNAAPO,
in the mid 80s KNAAPO made 10-12 Su-27s per month (plus 20 Su-17)
Irkutsk assembled 2-4 Su-27UBs per month
3 shifts per day, 24/7
http://forums.airforce.ru/showthread.php?t=956&highlight=%EF%EE%E3%EE%F1%FF%ED&page=4

This amount is really good but today in my opinion they must rise the salaries and get more qualified personel for PAK-FA production.

http://www.business-standard.com/common/news_article.php?autono=315254&leftnm=3&subLeft=0&chkFlg=
from the above link
Baweja pours cold water on widespread expectations that the FGFA could be flying in the IAF by 2014. He explains, “We have only signed an Inter-governmental Agreement which agrees to cooperate in developing the FGFA. Now from that will flow the project report, general contract, the structure of the company that will be set up, and where the funding will come from. An aircraft design, development, certification, the complete entity with its power plant, systems, weapons, trials, is a process which takes 15 years to be completed.”

Damn good realist he is!

The Indian experts visited KnAAPO
28 2008 g., 14:08
http://tatar-inform.ru/news/2008/02/28/100161/

(Khabarovsk, February 28, "Tatar-Inform", Alexey Minin). Representatives of the Ministry of Defense of India and Corporation Hindustan Aeronautics Limited visited in Komsomolsk. The purpose of the visit was to visit shops of KnAAPO, busy with the defense orders, the plant produces a family of fighters "Su", and in December last year the first experimental samples produces multi fifth-generation fighter. It is reported Russian radio "- Komsomolsk."

Members of the Indian delegation acquainted with the results of the programme retool the plant, which in the near future will begin mass production of regional passenger aircraft Sukhoi Superjet 100. During the visit, guests discussed with the Komsomolsk representatives issues related to the implementation of a joint Russian-Indian project to build the fifth-generation fighter.

Visiting delegation of the Ministry of Defense and the aviation industry in India was organized in the framework of the intergovernmental agreement on joint development and production of fifth-generation fighter. This is one of the largest programmes of Moscow and New Delhi cooperation in the military sphere, ARMS-TASS reported.

PS Google language tool finally calls Sukhoi Sukhoi, not 'dry'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom