Stealth aircraft carrier

It would help if you tell where you found the images. As it is, they were already posted in an earlier thread, in which @Kat Tsun refers to it as a thought experiment produced during the development of CVN21 which eventually produced USS Gerald Ford:

The ship was designed by James David McWhite of NSWC Carderock in 1998, for the Analysis of Alternatives to CVN(X), which became the Gerald Ford. I doubt it was ever seriously considered by the USN, most AoAs are intended to be somewhat goofy things that make the original idea look better (just look at some of the MX basing options) and in this case it was justifying the bigger air wing of the Nimitz over a more CVV- or Midway-sized wing.

That said, J.D. McWhite is a genuinely competent and very professional NAME, so he did it very well. Likely one of the most competent naval architects of the 20th century.

I'm not sure, but I believe J. McWhite was one of the senior NAMEs for the SC21 program overall? From him originated the "pit stop" design of the Ford's big flight deck, while the little stealth carrier (and the other one from NEJ) was only really intended for a 40- or 50-strong air wing of JSFs IIRC, and he's cited as "CVNX Senior Naval Engineer" in a NPS thesis on DTIC. He also worked on the DDG-1000 I think.

That all might be more a TomS question lol I just know what's on FAS tbh.

Last edited:
There is/was a resin kit of this about 20 years ago not long after the concept appeared in Popular Mechanics. I saw one model on display at a show in 2003.
The design keeps popping up on various military clickbait sites claiming this is going to be the next aircraft carrier for 'country X'.