Star Wars, Star Trek and other Sci-Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lower Decks is amazing. They really sold the sonic shower.

The Enlightened Progressive Future, ladies and gentlemen! Coed Sonic Showering!

Attachments

• kayshonhiseyesopenmarinerjetsonicshower1.jpg
    kayshonhiseyesopenmarinerjetsonicshower1.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 35
  • kayshonhiseyesopen2.jpg
    kayshonhiseyesopen2.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 33
tumblr_ptcbi7Tj0G1tt0ztvo1_500.jpg

Do not forget Star Trek The Orville ;)

The important question: does "Star Trek" exist in the universe of "The Orville?" It seems likely... one episode showed the bridge crew watching a scene from the sitcom "Seinfeld." "Seinfeld" mentioned Star Trek at least once. Bonus: one character referenced Obi Wan, so at least Star Wars exists in The Orville.

PS: I agree hard :) Star Trek Battlestar-Discovery and Star Trek Old Man-Patrick Stewart are s**t :(

It's remarkable that such magnificent production values were lavished on shows that are not just bad, but offensively bad... and *intentionally* offensively bad.

Flags crop up in Star Trek TOS quite a lot. When there is a trial on the Enterprise some furled ones are in the background. When the childrens' parents are buried a special metal UFP banner is provided. And of course the Omega Glory allows Kirk to orate the Pledge of Allegiance.
Talking of the pledge of allegiance. I worked nominally for the Queen as do all British civil servants. But unlike Members of Parliament and Lords I never had to pledge allegiance to her or the country I was supposed to serve. The Armed Forces of course also serve the Crown which is why they don't have to salute our politicians and politicians don't get to do a lame salute back.
The flag accordingly has been relegated to football matches and similar outbursts.

Attachments

• Menagerie_Part_1_end_title_card.jpg
    Menagerie_Part_1_end_title_card.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 2268-pennant-andthechildrenshalllead.jpg
    2268-pennant-andthechildrenshalllead.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Reactions: zen
I've wondered if the mirror worlds Star Trek episode with the window weapon that disappeared anyone seen on the screen at the push of a button has ever seen by a military drone pilot?

A flop but I quite liked hearing British accents, notably the excellent David Suchet
Though Patrick Stewart always sounded like an RN Captain (and Bill Shatner was Canadian). The two became friends in the joint Captains film as Shatner had to help Stewart ride a horse!

Blade Runner: Black Lotus second trailer. Much better than the first. It’s premiering on Adult Swim & Crunchyroll on the 13th November.

View: https://youtu.be/eUu3lK_Z8VM

More details including key art and voice cast.

Today I found out there will only be six episodes of Season 6 of The Expanse. Six to wrap up everything. I'm thinking of a phrase Alexa, can you guess what it is?

B5 had a great many flaws but it had a great many redemptive qualities as well. Without Londo & G'Kar, the pebble is already halfway down the mountain. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple thought experiment:
1: You make a serious historical drama set in Rome during the reign of Emperor Nero. One of the producers suggests having the Legion move about on bicycles.
2: You make a straight World War One flick about aerial combat. One of the producers suggests a dogfight between Fokkers on one side, and Hawker Hurricanes on the other.
3: You make a Civil War drama about the battle of Gettysburg. One of your producers decides that the Rebs should be armed with bows and arrows, while the Union has crossbows.

Do you laugh the producer out of the room? Get rid of him? Or accomodate him, go ahead with the weird ideas, and then accuse any fans who complain of being istophobes?
If the idea is sufficiently amusing, its all good. After all, turning king Arthur into a women was a great idea in some markets.

You are also applying your sense of wrongness based on your own knowledge. If you ask a medieval, the standard historical drama would have be gross errors in breed of horse, the combination of weapons and armor (off by hundreds of years), clothing, language, architecture, agriculture methods, actual functionality of political structure and on and on.

If the above stories are marketed to say, women, would "anyone" but spergy milcel nerds notice it at all? After successfully making Pearl Harbor into a love story, anything is doable since history is just scenery. If anti-F35 Crown Victoria is a thing, Fokkers are tame: Also Iron Eagle III.

The main problem with modern casting isn't failure to conform to history, but it is based on utterly banal ideas that isn't interesting at all, unless someone sneaks in a in-joke past the humorless censors.
I guess the love story with the nurse is fine but the animation with the Dark Green painted Mitsubishi A6M2s is heresy.

Today I found out there will only be six episodes of Season 6 of The Expanse. Six to wrap up everything. I'm thinking of a phrase Alexa, can you guess what it is?

It's about time for The Expanse to end IMO. I lost interest in the books after the time jump, I don't think it could be handled well in the series.

shin_getter:

unless someone sneaks in a in-joke past the humorless censors.

Which reminds me of the BBC serial Edge of Darkness. A character, rather like Ford or Bezos etc. is a nuclear entrepreneur investing explicitly in fission technology. I was wondering why in such a generally well-researched drama, he was the founder and CEO of 'The Fusion Corporation of Kansas'.

Then it occurred to me that many of the characters were from Yorkshire and probably there was a liberal use of "fuck" in the draft script. Very likely he was told to cut every use of that word (this was the mid-80s) but he managed to slip it in anyway.

Good news: there Reboot of Babylon 5 in Making

Interesting to hear from JMS himself re this:

Nobody ever listens to Zathras…still caught in loop…

It's about time for The Expanse to end IMO. I lost interest in the books after the time jump, I don't think it could be handled well in the series.
I've not read the books but I'm aware of the looming time jump. I don't disagree it's time to end but I'm very incredulous six episodes could possibly wrap everything up to satisfaction. I want an entire episode of Inaros getting everything coming to him, something involving Roci's drive plume and some bungee cord would do nicely. Then Drummer grinding the ash under her boot......then.....

Good news: there Reboot of Babylon 5 in Making

Interesting to hear from JMS himself re this:

Nobody ever listens to Zathras…still caught in loop…
Zathras warn Zathras but Zathras never listen to Zathras.....

I tell you the number people online who keep thinking this is Clark rather than his son Jon is bonkers, do people not read past headlines. Also you have to be mad if you think DC would ever break up one of the most iconic couples in comics of Clark and Lois.

Last edited:
I tell you the number people online who keep thinking this is Clark rather than his son Jon is bonkers,

Not bonkers. The headlines usually just say "Superman." Most people are aware of Superman. Vanishingly few are aware of his son Jon. Fewer still are excited by this, or will be enticed to buy the comic.

Never got the idea of men in tights and capes being heroes until I saw " Robin Hood-Men in tights "and re-watched the original Batman TV series.
It explains why the hoary old BBC comedy "Are you being served" was popular in the States.
A Brit remake of Superman with Clark and Lois swapping outfits would be in the finest traditions of Pantomime.

I wonder if Jeff and Elon have room for these folks

...at this point I've resigned myself to headcanoning my favorites. This actually started for me after Brian Herbert and friend wrote their goofy Dune "prequels". Now with the... hmm I'm just not gonna say it but I'll just say I'm probably a nazi and deserve to die in some circles so yeah I just enjoy my old favs in absolute denial like the 30yo boomer I am.

• Haha
Reactions: zen
So.... is anyone else enjoying Lower Decks? It's by far the best of the streaming era Treks for me! #shutupjennifer

Lower Decks and The Orville are the only actual Star Trek that hav come to either TV or Movie screens since Nemesis.

Never got the idea of men in tights and capes being heroes until I saw " Robin Hood-Men in tights "and re-watched the original Batman TV series.
It explains why the hoary old BBC comedy "Are you being served" was popular in the States.
A Brit remake of Superman with Clark and Lois swapping outfits would be in the finest traditions of Pantomime.
Oh no it wouldn't.....

;)

So.... is anyone else enjoying Lower Decks? It's by far the best of the streaming era Treks for me! #shutupjennifer
Lower Decks and The Orville are the only actual Star Trek that hav come to either TV or Movie screens since Nemesis.
I'm inclined to agree. I was cautiously testing the waters in that post. Certain places, they really come down on you ridiculously heavily if you are not a rapt Disco or Picard fan but I figure it's only a matter of time before I go down in flames so.....

Discovery is just kinda there for me. It has it's moments and more than it's share of miss-steps. I could go into a veery lengthy diatribe about Picard. Suffice to say I feel like it pisses on me for being a 90s Trek fan, whereas Lower Decks very much rewards it. I wanted to catch up with various DS9 alumni but now I'm like: no thanks, just leave them alone, please! You've done enough.

I've never seen Logan, maybe that's it?

Status
Not open for further replies.