Star Wars, Star Trek and other Sci-Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.
A literal adaptation would just be two guys talking that a nerd would tape in his mother's basement and only be watched by a few friends.

LOL. Sad but probably true. They take such liberties with the stories these days, I've come to dread the "based on" tag.

Macross Plus Movie to Screen in U.S. Theaters on December 14

Fathom Events announced on Saturday that it will screen the Macross Plus Movie Edition in U.S. theaters with English subtitles on December 14 for one day only. A trailer debuted at the Super Dimension Convention in California earlier in the day, and the trailer will go online before the screenings. Tickets will go on sale on November 12.

Macross Plus Movie Edition is the film version of the story also seen in the four-volume 1994-1995 Macross Plus series. The film opened in Japan in August 1995, and Manga Entertainment later released the film on VHS and DVD overseas.

The story is set three decades after the Space War I from the first Macross series and film, and follows three high school friends who reunite despite painful memories. Their personal drama intersects with the military's testing of two advanced fighters and the rise of a new virtual idol.

The latest work in the Macross franchise, the Gekijōban Macross Delta: Zettai LIVE!!!!!! feature film, opened in Japan on October 8 alongside the "Gekijō Tanpen Macross Frontier Toki no Meikyū" (Macross Frontier Film Short: Labyrinth of Time) film short. The film is "entirely new" — as opposed to Macross Delta the Movie: Passionate Walkūre (Gekijō-ban Macross Delta: Gekijō no Walkūre), which compiled earlier television anime footage with some new sequences when it opened in February 2018.

The 26-episode Macross Delta television anime series ran from April to September 2016.

Big West, Studio Nue, and Harmony Gold USA announced in April that the companies agreed to allow the immediate distribution of most Macross television sequels and films globally. The companies agreed to cooperate on the distribution of future Macross and Robotech projects.

Source: Fathom Events' Twitter account

Well this is awesome. Kinda sucks that it's only being shown for one day though.

2E9ABFE2-8A3D-448D-B7C8-FDD083079C7F.jpeg.ba0ddd012f4cb21179ac3099861d5473.jpeg

Last edited:
I assume this is about Frank Herbert's Dune.
I was never able to finish reading the first book, it doesn't make sense for anyone to want to live there.
People live there, because Arrakis is the sole source of Spice. Spice is one of the things that enable FTL travel - it gives human navigators a limited ability to see into the future, helping them to avoid crashing into stars/planets/moons. With artificial intelligence banned, people are needed to harvest Spice. Basic economics.
I very much enjoyed the first book (politics!), but neither of the two subsequent books. Then I gave up on the series.

Much later I stumbled on Kim Stanley Robinson's superb Red Mars / Green Mars / Blue Mars, and Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space series. Very heavy on politics, which suits me to a T. Unlike Herbert, Robinson and Reynolds write 'hard' SF.

I assume this is about Frank Herbert's Dune.
I was never able to finish reading the first book, it doesn't make sense for anyone to want to live there.
People live there, because Arrakis is the sole source of Spice. Spice is one of the things that enable FTL travel - it gives human navigators a limited ability to see into the future, helping them to avoid crashing into stars/planets/moons. With artificial intelligence banned, people are needed to harvest Spice. Basic economics.
I very much enjoyed the first book (politics!), but neither of the two subsequent books. Then I gave up on the series.

Much later I stumbled on Kim Stanley Robinson's superb Red Mars / Green Mars / Blue Mars, and Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space series. Very heavy on politics, which suits me to a T. Unlike Herbert, Robinson and Reynolds write 'hard' SF.
I understand the argument, it is a projection into the future of the Arab world and its oil, thanks for the explanation.:)

Doesn't make sense for anyone to want to live in the Sahara, Gobi, Arctic or Detroit, but people do.
I can understand that people live in inhospitable places on earth, my question was about too hostile planets, but thanks to Arjen's explanation I have understood that the reason is economic. An automated mining facility would not suffice, it is necessary to physically occupy the planet to ensure supply.

Lightyear.

The story of the ‘real’ person who inspired the Buzz Lightyear toy. It’s worth it just to see Pixar doing a sci-fi action adventure film. This looks miles better than I was expecting with the space shots looking very well done.

Teaser trailer:
View: https://youtu.be/BwPL0Md_QFQ

It's been a while since I read the Foundation series, is it just me or does the story diverge quite a bit?
A literal adaptation would just be two guys talking that a nerd would tape in his mother's basement and only be watched by a few friends.
Somewhere between My Dinner with Andre and Wayne's World?

Last edited:

LOL. Sad but probably true. They take such liberties with the stories these days, I've come to dread the "based on" tag.

Quothe the raven, 'Inspired by actual events'.

What have you guys thought of the new Dune? I'm too afraid from what they are doing to the classics to watch. At least the scenes of it look alright but it is giving me the same vibe as what I got when I watched Enders Game. All the soul gone. Dreary, boring, uninspired and without the spirit that made it good.

Does the movie deliver??

With Episode 7 Foundation finally derailed...

This Series become Fucking Star Wars Clone :mad:
The Invictus ship is a bloody Death Star in Ring form and crazy Cat woman want with it, to blow up Trantor...
Gaal Dornick is chosen one with Force ehh i mean Psychohistory, because Hari Seldon is mathematical impotent !

WTF ?
and people have to pay for that Shit...

The Wheel of Time trailer is definitely boring and generic. It's as if the people involved never saw anything similar. No grand spectacle or no grand anything else... But from a production standpoint, no Expensive sets. Cheap was obviously the goal. I mean, that's what Producers do. Want to make money? Be cheap.

Emotional Validation? I'm definitely putting that on my Do Not Watch list.

Non-Emotional Validation: The Non-Series. "Astartes" was apparently made by *one* *guy* and has more quality in its 13 minutes than entire series have. Even if you have no friggen' clue about what's going on in the Warhammer 40K universe, this is substantially badass.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7hgjuFfn3A

Non-Emotional Validation: The Non-Series. "Astartes" was apparently made by *one* *guy* and has more quality in its 13 minutes than entire series have. Even if you have no friggen' clue about what's going on in the Warhammer 40K universe, this is substantially badass.
With the development of tools of video production, perhaps one should figure out a new ecosystem of creator driven (as opposed to moneyman) productions, especially with the fading importance of actors, real sets or animators. Makoto Shinkai made Voices of a Distant Star by himself after all. (and subsequently grew into Your Name at highest grossing anime film) ....Or perhaps that is how it has always have worked, see how Hidaki Anno started out with Daicon.

From a general systems theory perspective, it is more feasible to grow a small success than to improve a large failure.

The doujinshi scene is probably the real fuel behind much of manga and anime.
--------
As for emotional validation, just about all media and anime is about it. Wh40k is validation for "tough men making tough decisions."

The question is whether the creation validates the viewer, or the producer. Woe is the consumer that likes the comfort of the product and fancy themselves as a creator when the latter is about cut-throat competition that crushes all but the toughest.

With Episode 7 Foundation finally derailed...
It still looks gorgeous. At this point, I'm just along for the ride.

Like Rowan Atkinson's sketch with the father of the bride concluding his speech by thanking the caterers, I'm grateful to the production designers and cinematographers. And Iceland.

As a parallel, this for those who remember the 80s (also involving Mr Atkinson.)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FhYOcf2_5Q&t=64s

A review of the latest attempt to put Dune on the screen. The author does a good job contrasting it with the 1984 effort and does not uncritally praise it.

Wh40k is validation for "tough men making tough decisions."

Most stories will have characters who do the right thing finding out that they've done the right thing. but there is a disturbing trend in modern storytelling, especially in the rapidly decaying American comic book and animation industry, to make the story *all* *about* the "hero" being repeatedly and constantly validated.

In a Superman tale, you'll get a bit of that: as he flies over Metropolis, people will look up and wave. When he saves a cat from a tree or a kid from a fire, they'll say "Thanks!" as he *promptly* flies off, on his way to do more good stuff. And he does good stuff because it's good to do it, not because he's craving the gratitude. And then you get Batman who goes out and does good stuff of his own, and generally does it in the shadows where nobody sees. In an American story about WWII, the solider will win the battle and maybe get a pat on the back. If the story goes on long enough, he goes home to a parade. But the story is about the battle, generally, not the parade. But in Current Year storytelling, the story would be all about the Hero being celebrated... or celebrating themselves.

I've not read any of the 40K books, but I get the sense that the stories are 99% "tough men doing tough things against overwhelming odds," and 1% "tough men being told to suck it up and get on to the next assignment." This is infinitely preferable to stories where the tough men are being constantly told how awesome they are. That's a *bad* message, in both literature and reality.

Films and TV routinely re-hash everything from Shakespeare to Winnie the Pooh in the idioms and tropes of the period in which they are made and the audience's they are aimed at.
That makes a well stocked DVD cabinet and YouTube essential for old fossils like me.
The worst possible remake I can imagine would be a remake of the 1968 film."Battle of Britain" with Hollywood actors and values. But I bet some fool makes it.

The worst possible remake I can imagine would be a remake of the 1968 film."Battle of Britain" with Hollywood actors and values. But I bet some fool makes it.
Peter Jackson was threatening to remake The Dam Busters for a while. That seems to have been shelved though.

Imagine a remake of the Battle of Britain with modern BBC actors and values.

Status
Not open for further replies.