Star Wars, Star Trek and other Sci-Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.
It made me laugh that when I searched on You Tube for bad comic artist all the top hits were for Rob Liefeld.

Some of the offended are the more chronologically-challenged engineers we want to remain members. That's my major concern.

Damn kids these days, a bunch of snowflakes, can't even handle a modicum of harsh language.

629cb1a6-3a94-4418-afe2-23df5539d3bd_text.gif

... unlike certain well known male comics artists I can think of in the nineties. Some of whom ended up making both men and women characters look disturbingly freakish.
Oh, you exaggerate. It was fine. It was all fine.

five-reasons-comic-books-in-the-1990s-sucked.webp
Ah, good old Rob Liefield... The collections of his "best" works gave me a lot of healthy laugh)

it does offend others.
And that, sadly, is the guiding star of modern society.
Some of the offended are the more chronologically-challenged engineers we want to remain members. That's my major concern.

"chronologically-challenged"??? Seriously?

At least that's a bit more clever than most of the invented words/terms out there that are designed to give the illusion that everyone is "living in the future" (TM)... or something. I'll stick with or something.

A euphemism like chronologically-challenged can be used to sweep unwelcome facts under the carpet, or as is the case here, to lighten the mood of a thread. This thread, considering its subject, is in sore need of such relief.

In short: lighten up. Please.

They bought a book for a few million dollars more than it was worth, not the media rights to Dune.

The best they could hope for is something "inspired" by Jorodowsky's Dune, which would end up being something like The Incal without Moebius to actually make it worth looking at.

If people thought Lynch's Dune was bad I wonder what they would have thought about 14 hours of Jodorowsky's nonsense.

Last edited:
They bought a book for a few million dollars more than it was worth, not the media rights to Dune.

Yeah, there's a distinct lack of comprehension about how intellectual property rights work. They didn't buy the rights to "Dune." They didn't buy the rights to the *designs* by Moebius and Giger and Foss for Dune. They just bought a book... and they didn't even gain the rights to sell copies of that book.

53jwt3.jpg

If people thought Lynch's Dune was bad I wonder what they would have thought about 14 hours of Jodorowsky's nonsense.
This part of legend build up during decade base on some Jodorowsky early work
Fact was that Jodorowsky was willing to make more grounded Dune Movie with run time of 3 to 6 hours.
But was backstab by financiers during Christmas of 1978

Currently Spice DAO has to face this challenges
make a deal with:

Jodorowsky (still alive)
Chris Foss (still alive and painting)
heirs of Jean Moebius Giraud (died in 2012)
heirs of H.R. Giger (died in 2014)
heirs of Ron Cobb (died in 2020)
and other artist involve in that project, all of them has right on compensation to use there work on 1976 Dune

Warner Media current owner of rights on Dune has the final word on that project.
If Spice DAO does it diplomatic Jodorowsky Dune could become a HBO Max tv series...

Oh by way
here is content of DUNE Book

and on INCAL...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DkxB75CNvA

Moving back to artwork, a Star Wars inspired piece by Angus McKie that appeared in one of the 'Terran Trade Authority' splatbooks, I'm not sure what book cover it first graced though.

Attachments

• Star_Wars_Inspired (Angus McKie).jpg
    Star_Wars_Inspired (Angus McKie).jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 63
Another Star Wars inspired piece this time by Eddie Jones. The blog 70s Sci-Fi art lists this as 'First Assault on the Death Star' but did it ever grace the cover of an official Star Wars product...

Attachments

• Star_Wars_Inspired (Eddie_Jones).jpg
    Star_Wars_Inspired (Eddie_Jones).jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
OK, there is not much on the idiot box but repeated repeats. The Martian again, being cycled over and over. I get that a lot of thought went into the whole thing but, Why did they get their astrunut to make a hole in the rovers roof and attach a balloon to it? No improvement in space and more capacity required for atmospheric recycling. I just do not get it.

Realm of the Tri-Planets, Orbit Books.
I thought it was Trantor…
That or the Death Star.
That's Perry Rhodan Novel, it's planet Arkon III, the Warworld
The Entire planet is one gigantic factory that produce Spaceships and weapons. serve also as training site for recruits and astronauts.

Tri-Planes is english term for Home system of Arkonid Empire
They move three Planets in one stable orbit around it Sun, in form equilateral triangle
as Symbol of there Power

Sad news
255eb7dbcb05508643e576271fd96caf.jpg

Jean-Claude Mézières past away
One of influential Comic artis in France
His series Valerian and Laureline is one best Sci-fi Comic series ever
he made also artwork for movies like The fifth Element

He gave me the beauty of Univers as Child with Valerian and Laureline
and influence me deeply in my work

Last edited:
The inside cover of Les Mauvais Rêves - how his contemporaries saw him in the eighties.
... and some Alien Dentistry.

Attachments

• j-c-m.jpg
    j-c-m.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • dentistry.jpg
    dentistry.jpg
    827.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
The Ark gets series production order.
i hope it not end like this disaster at SyFy
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25ZuWjyKp84

oh yeah after on reaction, SyFy change that fast into this fiasco:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJqQ4OdPcAo
I remember watching that with morbid fascination, like it was a train wreck in slow motion. The person who came up with the premise and maybe even the first draft probably knew and respected the sf genre (I can see the distant ancestry in a story by Frederik Pohl, 'The Gold at Starbow's End', and another by Bruce Sterling, 'Taklamakan'), but everyone else with any control didn't - and didn't think that anyone else did either. It's a perfect storm of self-sabotage.

I remember watching that with morbid fascination, like it was a train wreck in slow motion. The person who came up with the premise and maybe even the first draft probably knew and respected the sf genre (I can see the distant ancestry in a story by Frederik Pohl, 'The Gold at Starbow's End', and another by Bruce Sterling, 'Taklamakan'), but everyone else with any control didn't - and didn't think that anyone else did either. It's a perfect storm of self-sabotage.
"Ascension" pissed me right the hell off. Everything about it past "in the 1960's the US launched a starship" was wrong. The conceit that it turned out to be a bunker underground? Lame. None of the Really Smart People loaded onto the "starship" realized that the math simply didn't work... a ship that can accelerate at 1 G for fifty years ship time will have accelerated so close to the speed of light that by the time those fifty years have passed for the crew, all the stars in the universe will have died; the ship will be billions of lightyears out into a wholly empty universe. The idea that the Point of No Return for a starship is at the midpoint of the trajectory is monumentally stupid. And of course... psychic superpowers because of course there are.

Bah.

A quartet of images from an old 'Space Rockets' card game... For the remainder check out this page at BigGameGeek...

Attachments

• Card_01.jpg
    Card_01.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Card_02.jpg
    Card_02.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Card_03.jpg
    Card_03.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Card_04.jpg
    Card_04.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 17
"Ascension" could had worked as ironic comedy in style of Wes Anderson
let me explain this

In 1960s they build Simulator put voluntary into it,
but once Capitol Hill smash the Space Program
The program keep running with less and less support
even forgotten in Pentagon and NASA

Today for descendant it's landing day, they "arrived"
and leave the abandon Simulator to build a Colony...
...on Earth
and are surprised to find Aliens with higher technology (us with smart phone)

"Ascension" could had worked as ironic comedy in style of Wes Anderson
l
The Life Ascendent.
This has potential... It becomes a melancholic but warm and quirky examination of nostalgia for a future that was promised but never happened. The star-studded cast play the inhabitants of a slightly dilapidated 60s futuristic apartment building who pretend or actually believe that it's a spaceship. They are, in their way, happy and who says they might not be right?

The sets and models are of course fantastic.

(Double-billed with its opposite, High-Rise.)

Not SF, but the cover to the 1971 Ashton-Scholastic edtion of 'The Shadow Over Innsmouth and Other Stories of Horror'

Attachments

• The_Shadow_Over_Innsmouth_1971.jpg
    The_Shadow_Over_Innsmouth_1971.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 16
I cannot accept the "Wholly empty universe" bit, just because it is unseen, no reason to state there is nothing there. Wherever there is. A trip like that could see civilisations/species born and die out, replace potentially by others in their turn.

Jean-Claude Mézières work influence certain George Lucas...

FJzVZOaWQAYGTEP
Not quite, that kind of thing had graced the cover of pulps like 'Thrilling Wonder Stories' for ages, as this October 1948 example shows, and there's another connection with the Star Wars saga on the cover...

Attachments

• Thrilling_Wonder_Stories_October_1948.png
    Thrilling_Wonder_Stories_October_1948.png
    906.6 KB · Views: 16
A few more Thrilling Wonder Story Covers....

Attachments

• Thrilling_Wonder_Stories_Apr_Unknown_Year.png
    Thrilling_Wonder_Stories_Apr_Unknown_Year.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • Thrilling_Wonder_Stories_Dec_1950.png
    Thrilling_Wonder_Stories_Dec_1950.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • Thrilling_Wonder_Stories_Dec_Unknown_Year.png
    Thrilling_Wonder_Stories_Dec_Unknown_Year.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • Thrilling_Wonder_Stories_July_Unknown_Year.png
    Thrilling_Wonder_Stories_July_Unknown_Year.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • Thrilling_Wonder_Stories_June_Unknown_Year.png
    Thrilling_Wonder_Stories_June_Unknown_Year.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
Horror Babble is a You Tube channel that I’ve listened to for years that do readings of old public domain horror stories and recently they’ve moved into sci-fi.

They’ve been doing a Mars cycle of stories by Clark Ashton Smith.

This is the first of the four “The Vaults of Yoh Vombis”:

View: https://youtu.be/AfhKsqQoatY

A somewhat misleading cover by Frank Kelly Freas for a Samuel R. Delany story.

Attachments

• The_Ballad_Of_Beta_2 (Frank Kelly Freas).png
    The_Ballad_Of_Beta_2 (Frank Kelly Freas).png
    3.8 MB · Views: 14
Status
Not open for further replies.