Star Wars, Star Trek and other Sci-Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruce Pennington's striking cover to the 1969 edition Kingsley Amis's 1960 volume on Science Fiction entitled 'New Maps of Hell'.

Attachments

• New_Maps_of_Hell.jpeg
    New_Maps_of_Hell.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
'Moonfall' filmmakers saved NASA shuttle simulator now in museum

In "Moonfall," director Roland Emmerich's new disaster film opening this week, a retired space shuttle plays a part in NASA's attempt to save Earth. In reality, though, it was the movie makers that came to the rescue, saving a real NASA simulator from an uncertain fate.

Many Hollywood blockbusters have used the space shuttle as a set piece, adding an array of fictional flights to the fleet's 135 historic missions. Filmmakers have typically shot these scenes by building or leasing mockups of the winged orbiter's crew compartment. Other movies have used green screen and CGI to place their actors into virtual shuttles.

The space shuttle set used to film "Moonfall" stars Halle Berry, Patrick Wilson and John Bradley as astronauts was different. Instead of recreations, Emmerich was able to use the real thing.

Frank Kelly Freas on working for Publisher in 1957
Nothing has change since...
Kelly20Freas.jpeg.jpg

'Moonfall' filmmakers saved NASA shuttle simulator now in museum

In "Moonfall," director Roland Emmerich's new disaster film opening this week, a retired space shuttle plays a part in NASA's attempt to save Earth. In reality, though, it was the movie makers that came to the rescue, saving a real NASA simulator from an uncertain fate.

Many Hollywood blockbusters have used the space shuttle as a set piece, adding an array of fictional flights to the fleet's 135 historic missions. Filmmakers have typically shot these scenes by building or leasing mockups of the winged orbiter's crew compartment. Other movies have used green screen and CGI to place their actors into virtual shuttles.

The space shuttle set used to film "Moonfall" stars Halle Berry, Patrick Wilson and John Bradley as astronauts was different. Instead of recreations, Emmerich was able to use the real thing.

Interesting, Roland Emmich's 'graduation thesis' aka 'The Noah's Ark Principle' (1984) opens with a space shuttle landing. Here's the trailer:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fghdcr_aKQ

More Star Trek inbound:

"In addition to its recent reveal of the full spring schedule for all things Enterprise at Paramount+, the platform has reportedly given liftoff to a new Trek-themed series that follows cadet-in-training life at Starfleet Academy.

Citing sources close to the franchise, Deadline reports that Paramount+ is indeed moving forward with plans for a new series titled Star Trek: Starfleet Academy, whose name harkens to Interplay’s 1997 Star Trek: Starfleet Academy video game. That report indicates that the project is planned for a followup debut as the next major Star Trek spinoff after Section 31, featuring Michelle Yeoh as Star Trek: Discovery’s Philippa Georgiou, finally gets off the ground."

See:

Some one was looking Star Trek Prodigy...

By the way, This is the best Star Trek Serie for moment...
It certainly is. Some clever, confident writing there. They presented the fox, chicken, grain puzzle but didn't show the solution. Instead a character pointed out a clue to solving it, leaving the viewers to work the rest out for themselves. Since it's primarily aimed at children, I can imagine determined efforts to solve it right after the episode finishes. Showing reasoning instead of technobabble and characters who are actually growing up and learning is typical of the spirit of the show.

Star Trek: The Franchise .................. getting milked for all it's worth!:

"The Star Trek franchise continues to expand on Paramount+ with the upcoming prequel series Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, which debuts in May. The show's executive producers and key cast members were on hand this week for a virtual panel discussion as part of the 2022 Winter Television Critics Association (TCA) meeting. In addition to unveiling the poster art, the panel revealed that one of the characters will have an (as yet unspecified) connection to one of the franchise's most famous wrathful villains."

See:

An update on the B5 reboot from JMS. Long story short everything has been put back 12 months due to the CW being up for sale.

Anyone who knows the history of Babylon 5 knows that the path of this show has never been easy, and rarely proceeds in a straight line. Apparently, that has not changed.

About a month or so ago it was announced that the CW Network, B5’s home for the last year while the pilot script was in active development, was up for sale. When news of this broke, the immediate question was: will this have any effect on B5? Situations like this have a way of upending development because new owners usually want to put their imprimatur on what programs go forward. Like everyone else, I’d hoped there would be no immediate impact, and that progress on the project would continue onward unabated.

A few days ago, I heard from inside Warner Bros. that there were a number of High Level Conversations taking place with the CW to determine how many pilots, and what sort, could be picked up during this transition, especially given pre-existing deals and commitments. This made sense given the preceding paragraph, but I remained optimistic.

Today, about an hour ago, Deadline Hollywood announced the slate of pilot scripts being picked up for production by The CW. Babylon 5 was not on that list.

When a pilot script is not picked up to production, 99.999% of the time, that’s the end of the road for the project, the script is dead.

However: shortly before that piece was published, I received a call from Mark Pedowitz, President of The CW. (I should mention that Mark is a great guy and a long-time fan of B5. He worked for Warners when the show was first airing, and always made sure we got him copies of the episodes before they aired because he didn’t want to wait to see what happened next.)

Calling the pilot “a damned fine script,” he said he was taking the highly unusual step of rolling the project and the pilot script into next year, keeping B5 in active development while the dust settles on the sale of the CW.

Here’s the bottom line:

Yesterday, Babylon 5 was in active development at the CW and Warner Bros. for fall 2022.

Today, Babylon 5 is in active development at the CW and Warner Bros. for fall 2023.

That is the only difference.

Would it have been wonderful if we’d gotten the green light today? Absolutely. Of course. But it seems we will have to wait a little longer. What matters is that the project is still very much alive, and when the time is appropriate, that window will give B5 fans the opportunity to express their passionate support for the series to the new owners of the CW.

As noted above: the road to Babylon 5 has never been easy. But the good news to come out of today is that the road is still very much intact.

Onward.

JMS

Mark Kermode and the ‘stupidest movie ever’:
If he say that
Then Emmerich made number one of Worst Movie ever made...
dethrone the all time Worst movie, you known that stuff that burn your brain out:
"Geostorm", "maximum Overdrive", "piranhas 2: the spawning",
"Adventure of Pluto Nash", "Battlefield: Earth", "Baby Geniuses"

Against those "Plan 9 from outer Space" is fantastic brilliant movie with message from Space !

Venerable manga series ‘Bastard’ has been picked up as an anime series by Netflix. The character of Gara shown in the article weirdly looks very much like Kenshiro. Be interested to see if they decide to censor some of the content from the manga. This is peak eighties trash manga/anime the sort of stuff I remember Manga Entertainment putting out in the late eighties early nineties.

Last edited:
Bastard!! The Dark God of Destruction
is one of insane 1990s Mangas/anime

Lushe Renren is a innocent boy
but is the incarnation of Dark Schneider who died 15 years earlier.
The Dark lord of magic and the Anti-Christ of his world.
As The kingdom were Renren live is under attack and face destruction.
The King magician unleash Dark Schneider with all consequence for there world
were not the litte fact that Dark Schneider not remain in stable form
and become Lushe Renren again a 15 year old boy with no memory of Dark,

The Serie is over the top extravaganza like
Skyscraper size villains, total Overkill and every reference no Heavy Metal music you can find...

Last edited:
My problem with all of those diatribes is the yakkety yak, listen to me nonsense. Self opinionated muppets in space. IMOHO of course.

It looks very impressive and the image of the alien ship at least in the trailer looks like it could have come out one of the old sci-fi type images posted on this thread.

I am looking for a new audiobook to listen for military science fiction excluding the classics (Haldeman, Weber, Heinlein, and so on) and Warhammer or stuff like it and none of the Amazon or goodreads inspires me much. I am open to suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.