StandOff & PGM Weapons

They look to be using the UMPK kit with increasingly larger/heavier bombs.
I suppose thats about the only real advantage that the UMPK has over the JDAM type approach,it doesnt require the fitting of a new tail section with actuated controls,the UMPK simply straps on to the dumb bomb.
I still think it looks like an ugly rube goldberg style kludge tho`.
GDtDIluWIAAXznd

GDtDIlsXwAAVBCA

That weird welded spike on the end of the thing always gives me the feeling it was intended to impale someone.
kgNqvpZtw4D0iGSTHN.webp

I just noticed something very interesting about the new version of the UMPK carrying the FAB 1500 M54 bomb.
FAB-1500-M54 with UMPK.mp4_20240116_151057.832a.jpg
This version appears to have control surfaces mounted on the wings,at least thats what they look like to me.
This is a rather uncommon configuration,as offhand I can only think of 2 other glide bombs that use this sort of additional control surface.
Theres the south korean KGGB and the iranian Yasin,tho both of these use long inboard mounted surfaces whereas the UMPKs are quite short and mounted out near the wing tips.

I suppose thats about the only real advantage that the UMPK has over the JDAM type approach,it doesnt require the fitting of a new tail section with actuated controls,the UMPK simply straps on to the dumb bomb.
You can describe UMPK as a "kamikaze glider" - a separate airframe with a suspended bomb. Currently it's ugly, but it seems to evolve into a scaled version of a civilian glider?

Given how bulky&inconvenient Soviet bomb series are - I'd argue that's quite an interesting idea, especially since it allows easily attaching literally anything. And that's a major advantage.

Last edited:
You can describe UMPK as a "kamikaze glider" - a separate airframe with a suspended bomb. Currently it's ugly, but it seems to evolve into a scaled version of a civilian glider?

Given how bulky&inconvenient Soviet bomb series are - I'd argue that's quite an interesting idea, especially since it allows easily attaching literally anything. And that's a major advantage.

Yes,I could imagine a smaller more compact version of this as an SDB equivalent carrying warheads like the tyulpan 240mm or pion 203mm artillery rounds.
Another possibility would be artillery rockets or RAP variants of large caliber artillery rounds to extend the range of the glide bomb.
I am surprised however that they didnt use more modern materials in its construction and some slightly better aerodynamic design,for instance that crazy looking welded metal nose spike,even its improved replacement on the FAB-1500-M54 has this flat drag inducing area directly underneath it,I mean how hard would it have been to have fitted a new blended fairing as part of the new nosecone...?

Last edited:
Yes,I could imagine a smaller more compact version of this as an SDB equivalent carrying warheads like the tyulpan 240mm or pion 203mm artillery rounds.
Another possibility would be artillery rockets or RAP variants of large caliber artillery rounds to extend the range of the glide bomb.
Or they can be used to deliver things like normal naval mines, or even supply crates. It's an interesting multitool.

Russian TG channel Fighterbomber talks about it:
It's full name UMPB D-30SN
UMPB is an acronym "УМПБ" - "Универсальный Межвидовой Планирующий Боеприпас", which would translate as Joint(?) Universal Gliding Munition . D-30SN indicates diameter, 30cm. By his words can be used on plane or MLRS, hence 30cm diameter. Russian airforce currently uses variant w/o jet engine, but likely to install it later.
View: https://imgur.com/a/boLKS1L

Essentially, it's a Russian SDB, albeit heavier and w/ jet engine.

Last edited:
Russian TG channel Fighterbomber talks about it:
It's full name UMPB D-30SN
UMPB is an acronym "УМПБ" - "Универсальный Межвидовой Планирующий Боеприпас", which would translate as Joint(?) Universal Gliding Munition . D-30SN indicates diameter, 30cm. By his words can be used on plane or MLRS, hence 30cm diameter. Russian airforce currently uses variant w/o jet engine, but likely to install it later.

Essentially, it's a Russian SDB, albeit heavier and w/ jet engine.
So russian SPEAR?

It seems to be full bay-sized, i.e. close to 4m long.
Slightly slimmer than Grom(300 v 310) to fit into Tornado tubes; won't be surprised if it is a redesigned Kh-38/Grom.

They aren't bulky though, they're far more compact than the US MK8* series because they make no allowance for low drag during external carriage. Hence why the bomb in Sineva's post has actually been fitted with a sheet metal nose fairing as part of the kit.

Rather interesting to observe how quickly operational experience is compelling Russia to introduce such kits as a crash programme, after basically turning its nose up at the notion of Western-style gliding PGMs for ages.