StandOff & PGM Weapons

Emergency jettison doesn´t arm the bomb. Given the soft ground nature of the impact location (see photo above) and the crater shape that suggest a vertical trajectory at impact, we can guess this bomb was released during a toss bombing maneuver. Those are highly inaccurate with unguided ordonnance and only depends on the pilot professionalism.

It is of no surprise that some bombs end-up on Russian territory like this.

Emergency jettison doesn´t arm the bomb. Given the soft ground nature of the impact location (see photo above) and the crater shape that suggest a vertical trajectory at impact, we can guess this bomb was released during a toss bombing maneuver. Those are highly inaccurate with unguided ordonnance and only depends on the pilot professionalism.

Bit of a nuisance for anyone who happens to be driving along in a car though.:oops: "Not again!"

Very small crater size, though.

Are they actually PGMs if they're landing next to hypermarkets, assuming that wasn't where they were aimed (i.e. a war crime)?

Not sure if this was posted to this thread or not; do not think I’ve seen it. Boeing has a 7.5 billion dollar contract for JDAM kits extending to Feb 2030. It is not clear how many kits that buys, but even accounting for training, repairs, etc and several hundred million dollars of foreign sales, it is hard to imagine that this isn’t a multi year buy approaching or exceedingly 100,000 units. Previous kits cost between 25,000-75,000 depending on the size of the buy and the sophistication of the kit. Presumably these kits will involve jam resistant receivers which might increase price, though the scale of the buy would tend to push unit cost down.

Any chance powered JDAM is part of this?

Also a six year production run of this size must be building out more than 10k units per year, on average.

Not sure if this was posted to this thread or not; do not think I’ve seen it. Boeing has a 7.5 billion dollar contract for JDAM kits extending to Feb 2030. It is not clear how many kits that buys, but even accounting for training, repairs, etc and several hundred million dollars of foreign sales, it is hard to imagine that this isn’t a multi year buy approaching or exceedingly 100,000 units. Previous kits cost between 25,000-75,000 depending on the size of the buy and the sophistication of the kit. Presumably these kits will involve jam resistant receivers which might increase price, though the scale of the buy would tend to push unit cost down.

Any chance powered JDAM is part of this?

Also a six year production run of this size must be building out more than 10k units per year, on average.

Bear in mind that this is an IDIQ contract, so the quoted contract value is the maximum that can be spent on it, not an actual commitment to spend that much money.

Bear in mind that this is an IDIQ contract, so the quoted contract value is the maximum that can be spent on it, not an actual commitment to spend that much money.

Thanks, I had not noticed that nor am I familiar with the process. Due such contracts have any kind of minimum amount?

Thanks, I had not noticed that nor am I familiar with the process. Due such contracts have any kind of minimum amount?

An IDIQ (indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity) contract is basically a price list/offer sheet from the vendor that has been approved by the government. Once an IDIQ is in place, the government can order off that list whatever it wants and can fund. There are usually minimum guarantee amounts associated with an IDIQ award, which should be the amount that the government is sure to order. The cap is the outer bounds of what the government might order if all its most optimistic plans are funded.

An IDIQ (indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity) contract is basically a price list/offer sheet from the vendor that has been approved by the government. Once an IDIQ is in place, the government can order off that list whatever it wants and can fund. There are usually minimum guarantee amounts associated with an IDIQ award, which should be the amount that the government is sure to order. The cap is the outer bounds of what the government might order if all its most optimistic plans are funded.

Is there any way to determine what the likely floor is for the contract cost?

Is there any way to determine what the likely floor is for the contract cost?

Not immediately. (It might be published somewhere, but I'm not sure where).

The actual contract announcement is here:

Fiscal 2022, 2023, and 2024 procurement funds; operation and maintenance funds; research, development, test, and evaluation funds; Navy funds; and Foreign Military Sales funds in the amount of $228,196,923, are being obligated at time of award.

With the need for large amounts of precision weapons and interceptors, it seems a good solution would be to share some production lines between the branches. We see that with Lockheed pushing their PAC-3 for the Navy, Russia looking like they are using 300mm rockets on their jets, and a different thread talking about air launched ATACMS or PRsM.

Could there be a case for using the GMLRS standard or -ER as a base for a cheaper air launch missile? Lockheed is trying to hit 14,000 per year in 2025 up from 6,000 - so unit prices are set to fall with the production increase. USAF buying say 2,000 per year gets to take advantage of a large production set to get volume quickly and low prices.

Bulk buys will lower costs, but this effort seems to be attempting to reduce cost by an order of magnitude, which is going to require other measures. I wonder if this project is connected to ERAM or MACE RFI, or if the lack of responses is what motivated it.

With the need for large amounts of precision weapons and interceptors, it seems a good solution would be to share some production lines between the branches. We see that with Lockheed pushing their PAC-3 for the Navy, Russia looking like they are using 300mm rockets on their jets, and a different thread talking about air launched ATACMS or PRsM.

Could there be a case for using the GMLRS standard or -ER as a base for a cheaper air launch missile? Lockheed is trying to hit 14,000 per year in 2025 up from 6,000 - so unit prices are set to fall with the production increase. USAF buying say 2,000 per year gets to take advantage of a large production set to get volume quickly and low prices.
Indeed, Israel is already doing something very similar with the Rampage.

Missed this at DSEi 2023....

Rheinmetall Glide Bomb 10 (RDB10). 10kg for launch from the Luna NG UAS. 5-10km range.

View: https://imgur.com/a/ssTFNJ8

Needs funding apparently....but don't all small UAS bombs? Lots of proposals out there, lots of small US deployments of them but little else...

There are a couple types of US glide bombs that made it to operational use, though I think only with SOCOM. GBU-69. Viper strike.

There are a couple types of US glide bombs that made it to operational use, though I think only with SOCOM. GBU-69. Viper strike.

Griffin A is also a glide weapon.

Everyone has had a go...

Lockheed Martin Shadow Hawk
Lockheed Martin Scorpion (might be related to above) - Also called Small Smart Weapon
MBDA Saber
Corvid Technologies/L3 Harris Shryke
Textron/Thales Fury
ATK Hatchet
Raytheon Pyros
Raytheon Griffin A
Dynetics Small Glide Munition (GBU-69)
GD-OTS RCGM derived munition
MBDA Viper Strike (GBU-44) - Now out of service
Rheinmetall RDB10

I've excluded the IMI Fastlight as that is a bit larger...plus the Israeli's must have another munition that they use for roof knocking...

Only Boeing missing from the list really...

Last edited:
The majority of those never entered service.

Thats really my point. And the ones that did entered 'limited service' (US SOCOM 'limited' service is most nations full munitions buy....).

Is the Turkish MAM-C the most successful?

Thats really my point. And the ones that did entered 'limited service' (US SOCOM 'limited' service is most nations full munitions buy....).

Is the Turkish MAM-C the most successful?

That would kinda depend on how you define success and what SOCOMs use rate is/was but probably.

Last edited:
A 3000kg glide bomb?!? frack!

So, Tu22s, Bears, and the other big bombers?
Most likely, but it's only really made possible by the fact that Ukraine isn't allowed to fire western SAMs over the border... yet, which allows them to fly right up to the border to drop them.

Real facts telling the opposite. But still, UMPKs are flying.
Real facts are shown on liveuamap. The glide bombs are coming exclusively from the Belgorod sector, with Russian aircraft dropping them from the RU side of the border into the Kharkiv area (Liptsy, in this case, is a border town, see below). They have been tried in various other places at times, but only with accompanying RU aircraft losses. The whole purpose of the Kharkiv offensive was to capitalise on the extremely limiting RoEs imposed on Ukraine by effectively base-camping. They can't do that with artillery any more due to RoE changes, but they can still do it with aircraft. I see that changing very shortly though after these FAB-3000 videos circulate some.

1719066111342.png

Did you miss this? And this?

Additionally, pay attention how Su-34 in those videos with UMPK diving after their release. They do this for a reason.
No, and Ukraine was reprimanded for the IL-76 shootdown using a German Patriot, they were actually told of for shooting down a military aircraft of the country attacking them. The first link talks about Russia shooting down their own planes, which is nice but not relevant. In other areas along the front several Su-34s have been lost while glide-bombing. The only reason Russia even still has planes is the RoEs c0ck-blocking targeting inside Russia.

No, and Ukraine was reprimanded for the IL-76 shootdown using a German Patriot
This doesn't change the fact of shot down.

The first link talks about Russia shooting down their own planes, which is nice but not relevant.
And you believe this version?! Four aircraft, including fighter-jets and helicopters flying in our own airspace in different directions, with different speeds at different altitudes were shot down by our own RuAD just in two minutes?!