• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Standard Missile projects.

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
bring_it_on said:
I think that this may be a mistake in the slide. Even if the upgrade was primarily meant to enhance its ASuW capability it should still retain the AAW and SBT roles unless they have done away with some of the agility requirements which would be very strange.
I wonder if they'll ever look at a powered 3rd stage for the SM-6 IB to go after BGVs.

bring_it_on

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
What's the max altitude for the SM6? For gliders you are looking at altitudes of around 40-60 km unless you want to wait till the very last minute and get terminal defense. I think if the BGV threat to ships materializes they'll probably seek a new weapon to tackle that.

sferrin

Reaction score
bring_it_on said:
What's the max altitude for the SM6? For gliders you are looking at altitudes of around 40-60 km unless you want to wait till the very last minute and get terminal defense. I think if the BGV threat to ships materializes they'll probably seek a new weapon to tackle that.
SM-6 IB uses the 21" booster and 2nd stage of the SM-3 Block IIA so it would definitely have the ISP to get an aerodynamic 3rd stage up there, and up to speed.

Moose

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
bring_it_on said:
Classified, I've seen 33km+ thrown about for the base weapon. With the new motor, likely a lot more.

sferrin

Reaction score
Moose said:
bring_it_on said:
Classified, I've seen 33km+ thrown about for the base weapon. With the new motor, likely a lot more.
There was an early SM-3 test where, after the 2nd stage burned out, they let the 3rd stage (dummy mass) free flight. They were counting out as it continued to climb, "330,000 feet. . .340,000 feet" and it was still moving like a bat out of hell. The point being that even the existing SM-6's altitude is likely limited by airframe stability in the thin air.

bobbymike

Reaction score
From Inside Defense

RKV flunks review, MDA resetting program schedule and budget requirement

The Missile Defense Agency's effort to accelerate development of a new Ground-based Midcourse Defense kill vehicle -- a more than $2.6 billion project to deliver a reliable ballistic missile defense warhead to protect the United States from North Korean and potential Iranian threats -- suffered a setback when the Redesigned Kill Vehicle did not pass muster with a key design review last year.

bring_it_on

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
This program leverages existing missile technology and advanced missile technology from the Phase 1A RPED rocket motor effort completing in FY 19. It aligns with
the STANDARD Missile roadmap and takes advantage of the Navy's investment in the AEGIS Weapon System (AWS). This missile will provide an extended range
capability for SM-6 and will be a key contributor to the protection of Joint U.S. Forces, in support of the 2018 National Defense Strategy. SM-6 Block IB addresses valid
Joint, Fleet, and Navy Urgent Operational Needs and existing, JROC-approved requirements.

The Accelerated Acquisition Board of Directors (AA BoD) met on 17 January 2018 and approved the designation of the SM-6 Block IB Phase IA as a Rapid Prototyping,
Experimentation and Demonstration (RPED) project. This designation acknowledged the requirement to expedite the development, acquisition and fielding of the SM-6
Block IB to Naval Forces. The AA BoD met 9 November 2018 and directed SM-6 BLKIB to commence All Up Round prototyping (Phase IB).

Attachments

Josh_TN

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
thx for answers. with its kinetic energy, sm6 could be deadly for some parts of ship and for good penetration.

but I still doubt it is less powerful than Russian supersonic monsters, having much heavier weight.

is there any news that USN try to develop counter part of Russian or Indian big supersonic missiles?
What would be the target set? Russian new builds are corvettes and frigates. Chinese ships are generally much smaller than their USN counterparts except the brand new Type 55.

litzj

BLOG : http://jaesan-aero.blogspot.com/
Reaction score
Website
jaesan-aero.blogspot.com
thx for answers. with its kinetic energy, sm6 could be deadly for some parts of ship and for good penetration.

but I still doubt it is less powerful than Russian supersonic monsters, having much heavier weight.

is there any news that USN try to develop counter part of Russian or Indian big supersonic missiles?
What would be the target set? Russian new builds are corvettes and frigates. Chinese ships are generally much smaller than their USN counterparts except the brand new Type 55.
Probably for the new chinise carriers?

Josh_TN

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
I don’t think it particularly necessary. If one missile doesn’t do the job, use six. A b-52 can carry twenty AGM-158; a B-1 two dozen. That seems adequate for now. If the US needs something faster, the USAF has three different hypersonic programs that will reach IOC in three years. None of those have terminal guidance as far as a know, but if I were going to make an AGM-158C follow up, it would be based on one of the several hypersonic missiles entering service in the next several years.

bobbymike

Reaction score
Inside Defense (pay site)

Raytheon confident SM-3 Block IIA can intercept ICBM warheads
Raytheon is “very confident” the Standard Missile-3 Block IIA -- a new ballistic missile interceptor developed with Japan to defeat medium- and intermediate-range threats -- can also knock down intercontinental ballistic missiles, delivering Washington and Tokyo more than they originally bargained for

sferrin

Reaction score
I would like to see THAAD tested against an ICBM as well. I would not be at all surprised if it could hit one.

Forest Green

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
I would like to see THAAD tested against an ICBM as well. I would not be at all surprised if it could hit one.
I always wondered the same thing. Longer range IRBMs aren't really that far off ICBMs in terms of RV speeds. I think the THAAD-ER and anti-HGV THAAD version will almost definitely be capable.