Space-X DRAGON (manned/unmanned) capsule.

NASA Kennedy
KSC-20200501-PH-SPX02_0001

SpaceX completed its 27th and final test of Crew Dragon’s Mark 3 parachute system on Friday, May 1, 2020, that will be used during the Demo-2 mission to safely land the spacecraft carrying NASA astronauts Robert Behnken and Douglas Hurley back from the International Space Station for NASA’s Commercial Crew Program. Crew Dragon will carry Behnken and Hurley atop a Falcon 9 rocket, returning crew launches to the space station from U.S. soil for the first time since the Space Shuttle Program ended in 2011.
Photo credit: SpaceX

It is a good idea to have back up crew from the Space Force ready to go just in case anything does go wrong on the first flight, because the last thing SpaceX needs right now is another Columbia/Challenger disaster and especially when it is the first flight. Hopefully nothing will go wrong.

It is a good idea to have back up crew from the Space Force ready to go just in case anything does go wrong on the first flight, because the last thing SpaceX needs right now is another Columbia/Challenger disaster and especially when it is the first flight. Hopefully nothing will go wrong.

Backup crew for what?

Backup crew for what?

Oops, I ment to say the rescue crew. :oops:

Backup crew for what?

Oops, I ment to say the rescue crew. :oops:

It will be there for all manned missions.

It already blew up last week end. I wonder if space launch will ever get to the point of being able to fly in anything but a clear sky. Imagine if the airlines shut down every time there was rain or wind.

I see your point sferrin, but I suppose both NASA and SpaceX have to be extra careful when dealing with human spaceflight you do not want another potential Challenger disaster and not one on the first flight.

I see your point sferrin, but I suppose both NASA and SpaceX have to be extra careful when dealing with human spaceflight you do not want another potential Challenger disaster and not one on the first flight.

Oh, I know. I wasn't talking about this launch specifically, but in general. IIRC the Russians seem less concerned about it. At least one of their rockets got struck by lighting on the way up. (Come to think of it, didn't one of the Apollos as well?)