Space-X DRAGON (manned/unmanned) capsule.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/us-cargo-ship-departs-international-space-station-with-critical-scientific-research

https://science.slashdot.org/story/18/08/15/0455239/spacex-reveals-the-controls-of-its-dragon-spacecraft-for-the-first-time

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/15/17688388/spacex-commercial-crew-astronauts-training-dragon-iss-launch

https://science.slashdot.org/story/18/11/06/0239212/spacexs-helipad-equipped-boat-will-bring-astronauts-safely-home

TomcatViP said:
Regarding then the Dragon vehicle, it seems that they found an outgassing problem during the docking phase on the ISS:

When the next three Dragons docked at the Space Station, over the following months, SAGE experienced unexplained spikes in contamination. Something on these Dragons was outgassing—releasing molecules beyond the expected, and perhaps the acceptable, levels. And those molecules were sticking to SAGE.
Outgassing, in earthly terms, is what makes a new car smell like a new car. “There are volatile chemicals in those new materials that migrate through the material to the surface," says Alan Tribble, author of Fundamentals of Contamination Control. You’re smelling escaped seat ingredients, in other words.

Source:
https://www.wired.com/story/a-spacex-delivery-capsule-may-be-contaminating-the-iss/

What puzzles me is that the launch hasn't been delayed by freakkin' COVID. I mean, safety is paramount during stack assembly at The Cape. But you need workers for the job... and Florida has been hit as badly as the rest of the United States. No ?
cape Canaveral stack assembly, that's not a thing that can be done by telework AFAIK.

It's certainly considered essential work.

Right now, ISS is on sort of minimum manning, with only three people on board. NASA really needs to get the DM-2 crew up to ISS or face the risk of having to decrew the station completely if one of the current expedition members needs to be evacuated.

It's certainly considered essential work.

Right now, ISS is on sort of minimum manning, with only three people on board. NASA really needs to get the DM-2 crew up to ISS or face the risk of having to decrew the station completely if one of the current expedition members needs to be evacuated.

And decrewing the ISS is something that I do not want to see happen, leaving the station to potentially de-orbit and burn up in the atmosphere.

This is a seemingly disapproving article of the decision especially as it gives a lot of space to Lori Garver’s critical comments.

This is a seemingly disapproving article of the decision especially as it gives a lot of space to Lori Garver’s critical comments.

Don't assume that the author of the article is taking a position simply because they are reporting somebody's position. Garver's comments are outliers, i.e. they fall into the "man bites dog" category and are therefore reportable. Garver was also reported in the past as being a possible candidate for NASA administrator, so this is relevant.

Don't assume that the author of the article is taking a position simply because they are reporting somebody's position. Garver's comments are outliers, i.e. they fall into the "man bites dog" category and are therefore reportable. Garver was also reported in the past as being a possible candidate for NASA administrator, so this is relevant.

I am probably being slow but what do you mean by being in the “man bites dog” category?

It seems here position has evolved somewhat since then as well.

And decrewing the ISS is something that I do not want to see happen, leaving the station to potentially de-orbit and burn up in the atmosphere.

That's probably not an immediate problem. The ISS can go 6 months or more between reboosts if needed. And as long as they have telemetry, they can command a reboost from the ground, which is how it's done now anyway. Having a crew helps ensure telemetry though, because there are problems that can interfere with comms that require human intervention.

On the "bright" side, if it did reenter, it probably wouldn't burn up totally. If Mir is any guide, big chunks would survive to the ground.

I really wish this launch is not postponed. It will be a positive, giant middle finger to America present hardships - COVID and M. Tangerine man making the overall situation worse every time he opens his mouth. Plus the ongoing election train wreck...
Hell of a year for the United States, really.

I really wish this launch is not postponed. It will be a positive, giant middle finger to America present hardships - COVID and M. Tangerine man making the overall situation worse every time he opens his mouth. Plus the ongoing election train wreck...

Same here Archibald, I do hope that the powers that be do not postpone the launch.

I'll take President Trump any day, thank you very much -- I so much prefer private sector businessmen over Lawyers, race-pimps, limousine-liberals, and College Professors.

David

"Dog bites man" is not a story (i.e. it happens every day). "Man bites dog" is unusual, hence it is a story. Lots of people saying "launch the rocket," so having a former NASA deputy administrator say "don't launch the rocket" is unusual, and therefore newsworthy.

Garver has taken some unorthodox positions regarding NASA in the past few years. That has been a bit unusual. I suspect that her fan base has not been amused.

What will probably be in DM-2 crew minds and heads when they'll walk toward their Dragon 2 capsule... (crowning moment of awesomeness)

Can we leave the TDS at home please? :rolleyes:

Travailleur Du Sexe ? what does sex workers have to do with this ? o_O

Then again, they can, too, suffer from TDS - Testicular dysgenesis syndrome...

Last edited:

NASA's Kennedy Space Center
Scheduled for 30 Apr 2020
A new era of human spaceflight is set to begin as American astronauts once again launch on an American rocket from American soil to the International Space Station as part of NASA’s Commercial Crew Program. Hear from two subject matter experts as they discuss the mission set to launch May 27.