SNCASO (Sud-Ouest) SO.M1

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
All photos of the SO. M1, as “the real thing” are showing it with the fighter-like cockpit, similar to the later SO. 4000. But the photo of what was probably a mock-up (it's a cut-out from a photo) for an aero-salon and the 3-view from a review of the Paris Aerosalon 1946 are showing it with a straked-in cockpit, as the artist’s impressionof the So.4000 in Cunys “Les Avions De Combat” .
Does anybody know, if the SO.M1 was actually fitted with this cockpit and modified later ?
Another question : I’ve never seen a photo of the SO. M1 flying, or on the ground. Had it a retractable skid, or was it just intended to make belly landings ? Anyone who has a photo showing more details ?

Attachments

• SO-M1_01.JPG
    SO-M1_01.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 285
  • so m1 ga.jpg
    so m1 ga.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 298
Re: SNCASO SO. M1

Jemiba said:
All photos of the SO. M1, as “the real thing” are showing it with the fighter-like cockpit, similar to the later SO. 4000. But the photo of what was probably a mock-up (it's a cut-out from a photo) for an aero-salon and the 3-view from a review of the Paris Aerosalon 1946 are showing it with a straked-in cockpit, as the artist’s impressionof the So.4000 in Cunys “Les Avions De Combat” .
Does anybody know, if the SO.M1 was actually fitted with this cockpit and modified later ?
Another question : I’ve never seen a photo of the SO. M1 flying, or on the ground. Had it a retractable skid, or was it just intended to make belly landings ? Anyone who has a photo showing more details ?

Hmmm I don't know if I can help for the cockpit, but I found
That
http://xplanes.free.fr/so4000/so4000-3.htm
In this article it is said that
" Le train d’atterrissage principal était un patin escamotable dans le fuselage et il y avait des balancines dans les saumons d’ailes."

There was a retractable skid under the fuselage and small wheels on the wingtips (how do you say balancines in english ??? The B-47 had that, among many others...)

PS there's no mention of cockpit change in this article, so I suppose that the SO-M1 always flew with the fighter like cockpit you mentionned...

looking at the photos and the date you mention, probability that the plane flew with this cockpit are very weak. The article mention that the plane flew on 6th April 1948.
This look like a prone position for the pilot no ?

You're probably right, this layout wasn't actually used, maybe because the test pilots
protested, because of the abyssmal view out of the cockpit ? But for a prone pilot there
probably would have been no view ahead or downwards at all !

Archibald said:
...small wheels on the wingtips (how do you say balancines in english ??? The B-47 had that, among many others...)
Outriggers, I believe

Merchi beaucoup!!! ;)
Outriggers... as Homer would say talking to his brain "stupid head!!"

Photo's quality is poor (come from a 1948 Italian magazine..) but the arrangement is quite clear.

Attachments

• SNCASO-M1.jpg
    SNCASO-M1.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 258

Sorry, but that's quite clearly the SO.M2, the jet powered manned model.
But perhaps I found a part of the answer to my question in my own book
shelf. In Cunys "Les Avions De Combat" is a rear view of the SO.M1 on the
Languedoc and I think, what's visible just beneath the fuselage of the SO.M1
could be the landing skid.

Attachments

• SO-M1_rear.JPG
    SO-M1_rear.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 223

Oooops, the photo was captioned :( M1...

Back
Top Bottom