SNCAN (Nord) 1500 « Griffon » artwork by Josef Gatial

Aaah, great ! I was already waiting impatiently for french designs on the
planespictures site .
Just a tip, it probably wouldn't have been designated Nord 1500, as it was
designed by SFECMAS. But of all french VSTOL designs, I think, this is the
best looking, perhaps only comparable to the Bertin 7.V.2 .

Gimme' more !!! ;)

I think this one will be nice, too

Attachments

• AP507e_sketch1.jpg
    AP507e_sketch1.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 380
Jemiba said:
Just a tip, it probably wouldn't have been designated Nord 1500, as it was
designed by SFECMAS. But of all french VSTOL designs, I think, this is the
best looking, perhaps only comparable to the Bertin 7.V.2 .

According to http://www.aiaa.org/tc/vstol/unbuilt/sfecmas/index.html it's the SFECMAS Type 150, also known as the Nord 1500. Any chance of seeing one rotated on its axis to show the AAM carriage under the fuselage?

I think this project is linked to the Griffon turboramjet aircraft of the late 50's no ?
In fact it looks like an early study of the Griffon...

I waited impatiently, too, french designs on this website ;)

There's some incredible stuff to make (Mr Gatzial, if you need Jean Cuny's books for your inspiration, I'm in ;D )...

Great stuff, really !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, it was a derivative of the future Nord 1500 Griffon. Cuny names this project of january 1955 : SFECMAS ADAV (VTOL).

-Jet engine : 6000 to 7250 kgp without after burning (it was necessary to develop a specific jet engine)
-No ram jet
-length : 11 m
-wingspan : 6,56 m
-height : 3,28 m
-wing area : 25m²
-weight : at least 5000 kg
-kerosene : 1200 l

This model is from my older 3D archives and quality is not so hight as my today's standart

Attachments

• Nord 1500 sc2.jpg
    Nord 1500 sc2.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 650
PlanesPictures said:
This model is from my older 3D archives and quality is not so hight as my today's standart

Interesting carriage, there. I'd have thought a conformal or semi-conformal carriage would've been preferred for drag-reduction purposes but this approach does allow for more flexibility in stores.

To Archibald: Thanks for your offer. All next good sources could help me to fix mistakes

"..semi-conformal carriage would've been preferred for drag-reduction purposes "

Surely from our point of view, but as far as I know, this SFECMAS/Nord design
is shown without any recognisable armament in all other drawings (a fact, that
would have made it absolutely useless !) and all comparable tailsitter designs, eg.
SNECMA or Morane Saulnier, are shown with a similar arrangement. Of course, as
again all published material seems to go back to the same source, this may be
erroneous, but nevertheless it's nearer to our sources, than a conformal missile
carriage á la F-4 Phantom, I think.

Well, as I said, pylon-mounted weaponry would give more room for a choice of weapons. Myself, I can't really see a fighter without weapons, just trying to figure the best carriage. *chuckle* I imagine the arguement could be made that if you've the thrust to takeoff vertically, a little extra drag in flight is a negligible problem.

Now I know where Gerry Anderson got his inspiration for the Angels from Captain Scarlet!!!