Sikorsky S-43 - bomber/recconaisance project

Silencer1

That now I am the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!
Reaction score
In Spanish magazine "Revista de Aeronautica" May 1936 I found curious article, describing military version (bomber and partol) of Sikorsky S-43 "Baby Clipper" amphibian.
Article contains two drawings, demonstrating internal arrangement and defensive angles of armament, and consice description of aircraft features and charcteristics.
No sources mentioned - but I' don't read Spanish...
I'm aware, that there were S-43 versions for US Army Air Corps, Navy and Marines. But that aircraft doesn't have any armament, as far as I knew, used only for transportations.

For me, this project remind famous Consolidated PBY, by MG' arrangement and overall layout.
Did someone knew more about this project?

Attachments

• S43-1.JPG
    S43-1.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 229
  • S43-2.JPG
    S43-2.JPG
    277.4 KB · Views: 222
  • S43-3.JPG
    S43-3.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 183
  • S43-4.JPG
    S43-4.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 165
  • S43-5.JPG
    S43-5.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 196
So, William Green reports a version ordered by NEI for 48 planes

Hi, tallguy!
Thanks for reply!
Am I right, that NEI is Netherland's East India?
I so, Dornier Do-24 have been purchased for the partol/recconnaisance/bombing role.
In 1936, IMHO, Netherlands military budget has been too small for ordering such advanced (and still unbuilt) aircraft, like S-43 amphibian.

Hi, tallguy!
Thanks for reply!
Am I right, that NEI is Netherland's East India?
I so, Dornier Do-24 have been purchased for the partol/recconnaisance/bombing role.
In 1936, IMHO, Netherlands military budget has been too small for ordering such advanced (and still unbuilt) aircraft, like S-43 amphibian.
Yes, Neth East Indies. 1936? Probably more like 1940, after Do 24 supply was cut off.

Yes, Neth East Indies. 1936? Probably more like 1940, after Do 24 supply was cut off.

Thanks for clarification. I guess, what's the source of Spanish magazine' article? Even if any country showed their intention for such aircraft, haven't them hide their plans?
Perhaps, book from Ginter about S-43 could give us a clue?

I would admit, that Sikorsky company produced very little number of types and examples of armed aircraft, up to 1945.
Unusual cooperation with Consolidated (Guardian bomber) and XPBS-1 - comes to my mind.

The Netherlands navy issued a requirement for a replacement of the Dornier Wal reconnaissance flying boat in the Netherlands East Indies in 1934. Proposals were received from Dornier (Do 24 design), Fokker (B.V design) and Sikorsky (unknown). I think it is likely to have been an S-43 derivative. Interesting that William Green mentions a NEI order, although this is wrong. The Dutch wanted three or four engines so that may be why the S-43 was out of the race quickly and the PBY not even running. Dornier got the order.

The Netherlands military budget was limited but this was an important project. The NEI (Indonesia) was to be defended primarily by submarines, supported by a projected 72 reconnaissance flying boats.

Back
Top Bottom