• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Sikorsky S-43 - bomber/recconaisance project

Silencer1

That now I am the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!
Reaction score
In Spanish magazine "Revista de Aeronautica" May 1936 I found curious article, describing military version (bomber and partol) of Sikorsky S-43 "Baby Clipper" amphibian.
Article contains two drawings, demonstrating internal arrangement and defensive angles of armament, and consice description of aircraft features and charcteristics.
No sources mentioned - but I' don't read Spanish...
I'm aware, that there were S-43 versions for US Army Air Corps, Navy and Marines. But that aircraft doesn't have any armament, as far as I knew, used only for transportations.

For me, this project remind famous Consolidated PBY, by MG' arrangement and overall layout.
Did someone knew more about this project?

Attachments

tallguy

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
So, William Green reports a version ordered by NEI for 48 planes

tallguy

Reaction score
Only source I have found though

Silencer1

Reaction score
Hi, tallguy!
Thanks for reply!
Am I right, that NEI is Netherland's East India?
I so, Dornier Do-24 have been purchased for the partol/recconnaisance/bombing role.
In 1936, IMHO, Netherlands military budget has been too small for ordering such advanced (and still unbuilt) aircraft, like S-43 amphibian.

tallguy

Reaction score
Hi, tallguy!
Thanks for reply!
Am I right, that NEI is Netherland's East India?
I so, Dornier Do-24 have been purchased for the partol/recconnaisance/bombing role.
In 1936, IMHO, Netherlands military budget has been too small for ordering such advanced (and still unbuilt) aircraft, like S-43 amphibian.
Yes, Neth East Indies. 1936? Probably more like 1940, after Do 24 supply was cut off.

Silencer1

Reaction score
Yes, Neth East Indies. 1936? Probably more like 1940, after Do 24 supply was cut off.
Thanks for clarification. I guess, what's the source of Spanish magazine' article? Even if any country showed their intention for such aircraft, haven't them hide their plans?
Perhaps, book from Ginter about S-43 could give us a clue?

I would admit, that Sikorsky company produced very little number of types and examples of armed aircraft, up to 1945.
Unusual cooperation with Consolidated (Guardian bomber) and XPBS-1 - comes to my mind.