Shadow on The Wall - Work in Progress by Jozef Gatial

Looking at the drawing you have posted above, it appears to me that the windshield is angled backwards in two planes; see below ( red lines ).

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• 804right crop.jpg
    804right crop.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 326
Looking at the drawing you have posted above, it appears to me that the windshield is angled backwards in two planes; see below ( red lines ).

cheers,
Robin.
Same here, I see an angled windshield separated in two pieces by that « forehead » to nose extension in the middle. And some side windows.
Like so :
804CockpitWindows.jpg
Btw, why did they put folding canards ?
Thanks for these artwork M.Gatial. Specially that last one I like a lot.

Last edited:
Do we know what sub-variant the drawing depicts ?
I've just looked in Jenkins' 'Valkyrie', and there are drawings in there of a version with a droop-nose . . . described as the Model 804-4 . . .
Will scan and post suitable images tomorrow . . .

cheers,
Robin.

cheers,
Robin.
Same here, I see an angled windshield separated in two pieces by that « forehead » to nose extension in the middle. And some side windows.
Like so :
View attachment 645832

I think you're right with the windshield, and if you look at Sections A-A thru to D-D you can get a sense of how the surface in front of the windshield would blend in.
804right_mod.jpg

Attachments

• 804front.jpg
    804front.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 210
  • 804top.jpg
    804top.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 210
  • 804-4.jpg
    804-4.jpg
    659.8 KB · Views: 224
Thank you for the drawings.
Call me nuts, or maybe it’s what I drink… But the more I look at these, the more I see something like an episcope or forward vision system in the middle there.
But the mirrors (if they are) should be inverted...
804CockpitWindows2.jpg

Makes sense ?
Also there are two top windows, and maybe some small windows on the side of that « nose ».

Last edited:
Here we go, from 'Valkyrie', Jenkins and Landis, 2004, pp. 36-7 . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• Boeing 804 cockpits.jpg
    Boeing 804 cockpits.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 269
  • Boeing 804-4 nose.jpg
    Boeing 804-4 nose.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 324
Ah yes these top windows are there : "refueling windows". Makes sense as the air refuel receptacle is located further forward of these. Also the two small ones : "Gross (!?) vision windows".
Thanks !

I think it's 'Cross Vision Windows', to allow a limited view to the other side, again for such things as refuelling . . .

cheers,
Robin.

I have been scanning old 30-40 year old films for several days now and I found my old paintings, which completely fell out of my memory. He took the 130 cm wide Phantom II on a logarithmic ruler for 3 months. And what was before? Paper models photographed from different sides. I don't know if it's good or bad news, but for several months I've been trying to revive some projects like oil on plates.

Attachments

• F-4B 130 cm width.JPG
    F-4B 130 cm width.JPG
    259.5 KB · Views: 224
  • F-15 130 cm width.JPG
    F-15 130 cm width.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 182
  • PICT0155.JPG
    PICT0155.JPG
    262.6 KB · Views: 193
  • PICT0156.JPG
    PICT0156.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 187
  • PICT0157.JPG
    PICT0157.JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 183
  • PICT0158.JPG
    PICT0158.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 161
  • PICT0159.JPG
    PICT0159.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 175
  • PICT0162.JPG
    PICT0162.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 188
  • PICT0164.JPG
    PICT0164.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 181
  • PICT0166.JPG
    PICT0166.JPG
    212.5 KB · Views: 174
  • PICT0168.JPG
    PICT0168.JPG
    276.3 KB · Views: 171
  • PICT0169.JPG
    PICT0169.JPG
    248 KB · Views: 183
I have been scanning old 30-40 year old films for several days now and I found my old paintings, which completely fell out of my memory. He took the 130 cm wide Phantom II on a logarithmic ruler for 3 months. And what was before? Paper models photographed from different sides. I don't know if it's good or bad news, but for several months I've been trying to revive some projects like oil on plates.
and paper models

Attachments

• paper_01.JPG
    paper_01.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 174
  • paper_02.JPG
    paper_02.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 172
  • paper_03.JPG
    paper_03.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 174
  • paper_04.JPG
    paper_04.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 226
These paper models. Were they used as perspective models to assist with the paintings?

David

These paper models. Were they used as perspective models to assist with the paintings?

David
Yes, the pictures of these models were to serve as a basis for painting aircraft. The next step was to use a logarithmic ruler, calculator and PC - first to display points, then a line and finally a real textured model.

cheers,
Robin.
Like so :
View attachment 645832
Btw, why did they put folding canards ?
Thanks for these artwork M.Gatial. Specially that last one I like a lot.

This reminds us of the Bell AH-63 attack helicopter. The pilot sat in front while the gunner sat in the rear seat and looked for targets through a periscope. After test pilots complained of poor vision for the gunner, it lost out to Hughes' AH-64 Apache attack helicopter.

Back in 1993, I worked on a similar project for NASA. As a lead up to an American SST, NASA wanted to test a video periscope on a two-seater F-14 Starfighter. the plan was for the rear-seat pilot to practice landings with a safety pilot in the front seat. NASA wanted to evaluate how well the rear-seat pilot could land with his only visual reference being the TV camera mounted under the nose.

Now "artificial vision" combines images from an under-nose camera, infrared, GPS, etc. to allow the latest biz jets to fly very low IFR approaches in miserable visibility.

I think a kind synthetic vision for landing instead of the droop nose was envisaged at one time for the B2707 , or for later boeing sst studies :
: svs.jpg

Could only found that image. No sure at all if the technology mature enough at the time, to be practical and certified...
What's sure is that a retractable camera was to be under fuselage , behind the nose gear, for help taxying. The cockpit being so far forward of the nose landing gear, while turning on a taxiway the crew would have been over grass for example, not seeing clearly if the nose gear was still going to roll on solid ground.

The Republic F-103 also was to have a periscope for forward vision I think.

Last edited:
It is really interesting that many projects from this period have a large number of landing legs. Attached M-20 had a total of six landing legs with 28 wheels, similar to the C-5 Galaxy. Was it due to a reduction in the specific pressure on the landing area? Because it must have been a lot of dead weight

Attachments

• M-20 Variation 1.jpg
    M-20 Variation 1.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 264
First underpainting, oil on canvas, 140x80 cm
Mig-29 under Spis Castle
Second underpainting.

Some time ago I described paper models, which I used in my beginnings as a basis for painting. Today, when I no longer want to texturize all the models I have done, I came up with a way to mark the main panels and important details on the model. I simply cut them into a model.

Attachments

• Mig-29s 2.jpg
    Mig-29s 2.jpg
    860.9 KB · Views: 251
  • Republic FX_scene.jpg
    Republic FX_scene.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 284
First underpainting, oil on canvas, 140x80 cm
Mig-29 under Spis Castle
Second underpainting.

Some time ago I described paper models, which I used in my beginnings as a basis for painting. Today, when I no longer want to texturize all the models I have done, I came up with a way to mark the main panels and important details on the model. I simply cut them into a model.
Love the Fairchild-Republic FX artwork!!

Regards
Pioneer

It was NASA 'Synthetic vision' studies for HSCT, late 80s-early 90s
Back in 1993, I was working at Butler Parachutes (California City, near Edwards Air Force Base) and packed a specialized pilot emergency parachute for a two-seater F-104 Starfighter that was modified for synthetic vision experiments. The system relied on a video camera hung under the nose. They needed a specially-shaped parachute container (reverse-wedge?) to provided sufficient clearance between the pilot's knees and the instrument panel.