Secret projects in comics and other popular books or magazines

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
France and Belgium are fortunate in having many glossy and well illustrated comic books/graphic novels featuring aircraft and other subjects popular with visitors here.
The Buck Danny illustrations here should show you what I mean.

Attachments

• 1627336292439.jpg
    1627336292439.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 1627336303340.jpg
    1627336303340.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 142
Nice. I haven't read Buck Danny since the old episodes penned by Bergese. I was a bit disappointed by the story an graphics of a recent one i picked up...it did not have the same feel of the ones i cherished growing up. The new 'historical' episodes about Korea seemed better in that regard.
By the way, i think there may be a similar existing thread about airplanes in comics, FYI.

My mom born in 1943 with an older brother was lucky enough to get "Tintin magazine" in the mid-50's.

Some scattered pages and a few complete ones managed to survive across four decades and I randomly found them in the 90's - just before the Internet.

I thus discovered Dan Cooper, Blake & Mortimer, and some aviation news of that time - the fragmentary way.
It was a fascinating experience. I'm still fond of pre-1960 Dan Cooper - it was truly awesome stuff, scenarios included.

1957Dan Cooper 1 - Le triangle bleuLombard/Dargaud
1958Dan Cooper 2 - Le maître du SoleilLombard/Dargaud
1959Dan Cooper 3 - Le mur du silenceLombard/Dargaud
1960Dan Cooper 4 - Cap sur MarsLombard/Dargaud

These four. Definitively. Even today, the Triangle Bleu as drawn by the late Albert Weinberg still look ultra-modern: it was a Gripen before the Gripen.

Le mur du silence has a pretty good story: mysterious attacks on airliners by seemingly invisible, ultra-ultra-ultra-fast (and spaceborne) attackers.

Rogue japanese survivors and avengers flying out of a mysterious submarine carrier...

if we have here Buck Dany and Dan Cooper
It missing one Comic to make the holy Trinity of Franco-Belgian Flight Comics ;)

Les Aventures de Tanguy et Laverdure (eng. The Flying Furies.)

I love first albums made by Albert Uderzo, special "Danger dans le ciel"
i like also the albums made by Jijé
tl_h01.jpg

In the United States, various magazines in the 1920s and 1930s published fantastic ideas. Examples:

Unfortunately, I'm only capable of Russian (native) and English. And there are only very few translations on either...
Les Aventures de Tanguy et Laverdure was translated into english as: The Flying Furies.

They've been translated, I remember seeing these in Dutch. IDK if they're available in English though.
Unfortunately, I'm only capable of Russian (native) and English. And there are only very few translations on either... :(

Wikipedia confirms: Dan Cooper was never translated in English, too obscure compared to Tanguy and Buck, unfortunately.
Note that dialogue is secondary to pictures, there not that many things to read when you think about it. Weinberg was talented enough, most of the time the drawings speak all by themselves.

France and Belgium are fortunate in having many glossy and well illustrated comic books/graphic novels featuring aircraft and other subjects popular with visitors here.

Frack, is that a Tsybin RS / RSR ? My mind is blown.

I have to say, I never bothered much about Tanguy and buck because they are not enough "sci fi" to my tastes. Dan Cooper probably influenced me too strongly (the early ones I mentionned I least: after 1960 the series turned toward a Tanguy and Buck more down-to-earth aircraft.)

I often think one of the greatest miss in the story is Dan Cooper never flying the Avro Arrow.
He flew CF-100s in the early adventures I mentionned, and CF-101s later, but not the CF-105.
Which is a shame, because the Arrow wasn't that far away from the Triangle Bleu in raw performance - and coolness factor, too.

To me the two stories are definitively interwined - I was a die-hard fan of the Triangle Bleu in the 90's and then kind of adopted the Arrow as its closest real-world counterpart.

Wonder if Albert Weinberg ever thought about the Arrow circa 1958-59. That would be awesome.

"Blue Arrow" / "La flèche Bleue".

I have this idea stuck in my mind of a VSTOL Arrow where the Iroquois drive a pair of forward compressors in the intakes - or alternately, in the former big missile bay; and that Arrow ends a bit like a giant Harrier. The missiles are relocated under the wings, on the flanks of drop tank pylons: F-15 style.

On the front: two cold-air exhausts Harrier style, fed by the Iroquois-driven compressors; and in the rear, the two Iroquois "hot" exhausts tilted downwards like the ones in Su-35s.

Works for STOL and even VTOL at very light weight.

It could be called "the VSTOL cold air module" and added to stock Arrows on the production line. The mobile exhausts would make the Arrow ultra-agile, like the Sukhois at Le Bourget in the 90's (when they did not crashed, of course).

Not sure that would work in the real world, but it would certainly work well enough for a reborn Dan Cooper story - some kind of "Mur du silence" remake.

In fact Dan Cooper's father could have invented such aircraft in 1959 to replace is rather, hmmm, unpracticables Triangle Bleus. And then he would be hired by Avro Canada, of course.

Such Arrow could land STOL or VTOL even on minuscule, slow carriers (RCAN of course !) for a brief refuel and then fly out again.

Last edited:
Frack, is that a Tsybin RS / RSR ? My mind is blown.
This comic "Buck Danny Classic, Tome 6" uses a part of the "Firefox" movie script, with Clint replaced by Buck and the MiG-31 replaced by a "real" Tsybin R-020.

The “Thunderbirds” comic published In the early 90s in the UK, had the patriarch Jeff Tracy as a test pilot and astronaut, who flew both the “Aurora” and something that looked like the X-30 NASP.

Hey nice, the Internet has a few pages scanned out of Dan Cooper ! "Le mur du silence", for your pleasure only.

https://cdn1.booknode.com/book_cove...an-cooper-tome-3-le-mur-du-silence-732326.jpg

See ? Dan flew CF-100 Mk.4, and Weinberg drew these aircraft pretty well. Imagine, what we could have done with Arrows... in passing, on that page Dan is chasing an errand sounding rocket, and complains good old CF-100s are a little too slow for the job... "Wish I was flying my Triangle Bleu..." note the Coléoptère, in passing.

The following may be of interest, with or without Google Translate, the Buck Danny albums Alerte Rouge and Sea Dart, and the Dan Cooper album Les hommes aux ailes d'or especially so.

Back
Top Bottom