early 60s Eagle books and other comic sources

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
I think this has been raised in another thread but I could not find it so I thought I would mention it here.

Back in the late 50s, early 60s Eagle (famous for its comic magazine) published a series of books about aircraft, rockets and missiles, ships, and other contemporary technical subjects. I had some when I was a child but no longer have them. They were mainly illustrated in black and white but had some interesting what-if subjects. One that I fondly remember but have not been able to find was a submarine aircraft carrier launching what looked like a Buccaneer S1.

In fact the Buccaneer cropped up in a number of comics of the time usually in its white initial navy version. I always keep an eye out for the eagle books and comics of this period, but if anyone has some scans (I would think we are out of copyright by now) or there is a link to a thread, I would be grateful.

CNH

Thanks for the link. I in fact have quite a few of the original drawings and artwork cutaways from the magazines (purchased in the 80s when the comics were a bit cheaper).

What I was thinking of was a series of books published by Eagle as factual rather than comic books. They are easily found on Amazon but I wanted to see if anyone here had one to hand as I only wanted the picture of the submarine launching a Buccaneer lookalike.

The cartoon strips I was thinking of were in kids comics like the Buster and Hurricane.

Just found this thread. Eagle Comics! I discovered Dan Dare in the 1970s. My favorite artists were Frank Hampson and Frank Bellamy. Two distinct artist styles, but their work captivated me, even to this day.

Last edited: