French comic book art: Missions Kimono: Charles de Gaulle and Rafales

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
I am very grateful to Archibald for putting me on to this one.

From 1984 to 1987 I worked in Brussels and got hooked on the large A4 comic books which are called BD (short for Bandes Dessinees) in France and Belgium. I first found the Jeff Hawke strips from the Daily Express reprinted in French and then the Buck Danny and Dan Cooper stories about a US Navy and a Canadian Air Force pilot respectively. My French is sub O-level but the artwork of these books is compelling and I soon had a decent collection.

Anyway to the present day. Missions Kimono is a series of 13 books (all avaible for about a Tenner each on Amazon UK) about the exploits of French Navy pilots on the Clemenceau( 1-4) and the Charles De Gaulle (5-13). The artwork gets better with each book and contains some fun stuff.
Herges adventures of Tintin for the 21st Century.

Sadly we in the UK are mainly influenced by the US comic books or magazine formats like The Eagle and have no homegrown equivalent to these books. This is a shame as if I could draw and write I would love to do a BD based on the Ark Royal and its Phantom/Buccaneers or after a few pints the CVA 01 and its airgroup of ??????

next to that is glorious french comic "Les Aventures de Tanguy et Laverdure"
By author Jean-Michel Charlier and Art by Albert Uderzo (the guy who made Asterix) and later Jijé
tl_h01.jpg

and Natacha by François Walthéry (Art&script)
about the wilde adventure of a stewardess
Natacha1cover.jpg

I you can read french, you are happy because they publish all those series now as omnibus volume

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom