toura

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Bonjour à tous.

We known the NC 3021 Belphegor !
but this one was derived from the SO 3020
which was studies in 1942 by "Le groupe de Cannes"

I'm not able to find details of this plane !
Who can help me ?

All my thanks

PAUL

Sorry, no more details, too, besides the aircraft to have been powered by two Hispano-Suiza 12Z
engines, driving contra props. Was a bit sceptical about the stated side-by-side installation, but
principally that seems to have ben possible, if we use the NC.3021 as a pattern (See engine size
written into the 3-view from http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/332082-silhouette-challenge-108.html,
as a quick check). Fitting the exhaust may have been difficult, nevertheless, so maybe it would
have rather be a tandem installation, as in the Arsenal VB-10 ?

Attachments

• NC-3021_HS12Z.png
    NC-3021_HS12Z.png
    112.3 KB · Views: 549
Thanks Jens !
but it seemed that it is more difficult !
Since I've asked here I've continued to
try to have an answer...
and I found something on an old
"air enthusiast".............look

Thanks again, Bye PAUL

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 532
Jemiba said:
Sorry, no more details, too, besides the aircraft to have been powered by two Hispano-Suiza 12Z
engines, driving contra props. Was a bit sceptical about the stated side-by-side installation, but...

Perhaps the source refers to the HS.24Z Type 82 of 1946, a water-cooled, vertical H-24, 72-liters displacement--essentially four of the V-12 blocks on a common crankcase.

Attachments

• Hispano-Suiza-type82.jpg
    Hispano-Suiza-type82.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 287
My dear Just Miranda

Thank you for your beautiful 3 views
especially the cockpit is very interesting for me

Your view show the plane at its initial flight

THANKS AGAIN paul

My dear Iverson

I don't think so, the choice of the engine
is dated of 1942 for two side by side engines
HS 12 z of 1300 cv in the fuselage and partly
in the wing roots ???

It's that which I don't understand and I will
be happy to see !!

Thanks my dear
PAUL

The NC.3021 had very thick wing roots, that perhaps were just a remnant of that
first engine installation ? When the pressurized cabin was left more or less unchanged,
it would have devided both engines and the description in the AE article seems to be
quite plausible.

Bonsoir Jens

So, it is possible that the two planes was edentical ?
exempt for the two contrarotative airscrews which
could give the nose of the plane longer ???!!!
Have a good week
PAUL

In the AE article it is said " work on the SO 3020 stopped ..... and work on the SO 3020 was resumed as
NC 3021". To me that indicates, that both were actually the same airframe.
Have tried to write in two HS engines into the wing roots, adding a shaft and a gear for the contraprops.
I would assume, that the cooling intake would have been positioned in the wing roots, too. The circular
radiator in front of the engine was a typical feature of the DB 610, but there would have no reason for
such an installation in the case of two HS 12 engines, I think. So, the nose actually could have been shorter !
But again: Guesswork only ! ;)

Attachments

• 3020-3021.jpg
    3020-3021.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 3020.jpg
    3020.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 177
Hi Jens

THANK YOU

Very well, I see, That's certainly right

Bye

Just helping in passing...

Le Front Populaire in 1936 nationalized something like 20 private aviation companies, some of them 20 - 25 years old that is: from the dawn of French aviation.

Once nationalized, the "private" bits were eviscerated and re-aglomerated according to... geography.

Basically, Frankein-plants / Frankein-companies were re-created according to once private plants that were located in the same corner of France.

And thus, were born: SNCA - Société Nationale de Construction d'Avion + geographic coordinates.

SNCA-N (Nord, Méaulte: Potez legacy)
SNCA-SE (Sud Est, Cannes)
SNCA-SO (Sud Ouest: Bordeaux)
SNCA-M (Midi: Toulouse, center-south stuck between Cannes and Bordeaux)
SNCA-C (Centre: center: Bourges)
SNCA-O (Ouest: Saint Nazaire)

So there were six of them.

In the AE article it is said " work on the SO 3020 stopped ..... and work on the SO 3020 was resumed as NC 3021".

This mean that a project started at SNCA-SO was transfered to SNCA-C... pretty weird, but then again - it was Vichy, and it was utter misery...

Were there any aircraft factories in Northern France?

Yes - Potez Méaulte was a rather big one - https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Méaulte (and still is).
It is hard to grasp that before WWII, Potez was as big a name - if not bigger - than Dassault / Bloch. The two bosses were pals since at least high school.

According to Wiki

La SNCA-N fut constituée par le regroupement des usines Potez de Méaulte, CAMS de Sartrouville, A.N.F. Les Mureaux aux Mureaux, Amiot de Caudebec-en-Caux et Breguet du Havre.
This is a zone stretching from Normandy to Paris to Northern France.