Hearing rumors of a pretty bad f***up concerning Luna-25. If true they need to clean house, increase spending and redouble their efforts. Ruskies are in a pretty amazing position to still be a leader in the space industry and should not squander what they still have. I want to see a future where we are competing against China and Russia in installing bases on the moon and developing nuclear tugs and all that awesome stuff. I feel like we are so close to a critical mass where spacefaring abilities dramatically increase and we move onto the next stage in space travel.

Regardless of our differences, we must go forward together and get out of the cradle, or we shall all die together in the cradle.

It is not the strong who survive, but those who can adapt best.

Prayers for Mikhail Marov, who has worked to get us out of the cradle.

Luna-25's crash (Euphemistically referred to as a "Hard Landing") doesn't come as a complete surprise given the recent sanctions (Making the source of some electronic components difficult or even impossible to source) and the long term decline in quality as all of the scientists, engineers and technicians trained during the late Soviet era retire or even die from old-age plus corruption.

I want to correct the news presenter in that this is Russia's first Moon mission as all previous ones were carried out by the USSR.

Just over a week ago on August 10th, Russia launched a Soyuz rocket carrying a special payload. On board was the country’s first lunar lander in nearly 50 years, since the Luna 24 mission in 1976. Unfortunately, reports are now coming out that the lander crashed into the Moon and the mission has failed.
Starting yesterday, an emergency situation was reported in lunar orbit not long before the touchdown attempt. The original plan was to launch on the 10th and land safely on the Moon between the 21st and 23rd, only days away. However, a problem came up during an engine burn that didn’t allow a specific maneuver to occur. Roscosmos then later reported that they had lost contact with the lander, but were trying to reach it and get any type of signal back.
By now, the agency is confident that the lander was destroyed, and is now working to determine exactly what went wrong. This is quite the blow to the agency and program which was the first attempt to revive it after decades. Here I will go more in-depth into the exact flight profile, what went wrong, the events that led to this, and more.

As @Flyaway said Scott Manley had expressed his doubts about the success of this mission and no doubt in the next few days will no doubt post a video about Luna-25's hard-landing.

What is sad is that Marov is old enough to remember the heyday of space firsts.

R-7 was king of the hill for a long time. Saturn I was the first rocket to go toe to toe with it…and Proton its equal.

Now…R-7 looks small.

You helped keep the torch of exploration lit comrade.

What is sad is that Marov is old enough to remember the heyday of space firsts.

R-7 was king of the hill for a long time. Saturn I was the first rocket to go toe to toe with it…and Proton its equal.
Nope, firsts and lift capability were meaningless. It is what you do with it that counts. Atlas Agena and Atlas Centaur planetary missions (Lunar Orbiter, Mariner and Surveyor) did much more than any 1960's era Soviet mission (Mars, Luna and Venera). Saturn I never launch anything of substance.

Main reason for the crash was seemingly engine failure with the burn being far too long.

I suspect that the too long engine burn was the result of a software and/or hardware fault in the lander's guidance and control computer.

Somewhere a failure, and somewhere a record achievement

Russia has completed 100 trouble-free missile launches for the first timeAccording to Roscosmos, for the first time in modern history, Russia has completed 100 trouble-free launches of space rockets in a row. The previous record was set in 2021, when there were 60 successful launches of launch vehicles in a row. At the same time, the hundred launches included 82 launches of Soyuz rockets, 11 launches of Proton-M launch vehicles, 4 launches of Angara and 3 launches of Rokot rockets.Thus, the new record set reflects the successful development of the Russian space industry.

Attachments

• ftDOtjbRomc.jpg
    ftDOtjbRomc.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I have made a report to attempt to keep people's personal political meanderings and inadequacies and thread derailment out of the thread, and to keep to the topic at hand without prejudice.

Rule 3 which you signed up to:

• Political, religious and nationalistic topics are strongly discouraged. Specific areas to avoid include your views on specific politicians and parties, Brexit, commentry about immigration, "SJWs" and "woke", antifa, Black Lives Matter, far-right politics and other social/political commentary. You are welcome to have opinions on all these subjects, but they are generally unrelated to the forum core subjects and your posts may be edited or deleted without warning.
It's really not that hard as an adult to exercise self-discipline and self-moderation.

Reason for Luna 25 crash seemingly.

Yuri Borisov said, #Luna25 crash was caused by the accelerometer which didn't transmit the data necessary to turn off the engine; 16 possible causes of the accelerometer malfunction are being considered.

View: https://twitter.com/katlinegrey/status/1702780033985618239

It is expected that the accident board on #Luna25 will complete the investigation by the end of September, said Yuri Borisov (according to TASS).

View: https://twitter.com/katlinegrey/status/1702928247116177640

So quality-control problems with electronic components and their proper assembly?

Same mistakes (or close enough) that doomed Mars 96 and Phobos-Grunt, except not on the probe but on the upper stages. From memory - the Russians seems to have major issues programming burns, either to leave Earth or to manoeuver around the Moon.

Going further in time - weren't the twin Phobos also lost to computer mistakes, back in '88 ?

Phobos-1 was lost by false program order , instead .
Phobos-2 try reach Mars, but went lost on close approach towards Moon Phobos

It really odd that since Phobos probe, (Mars 96, Phobos-Grunt and Lunar-Grunt) all failed do "software errors"
Some times i have the suspicion they put scrap metal in probes, launch the junk and run with the money...

IIRC didn't one of these missions fail to leave its' parking-orbit because its guidance-computer used a commercial-grade CPU instead of a mil-spec CPU and crapped out due to the elevated background radiation levels?

IIRC didn't one of these missions fail to leave its' parking-orbit because its guidance-computer used a commercial-grade CPU instead of a mil-spec CPU and crapped out due to the elevated background radiation levels?
That's is theory why Phobos-Grunt failed
what make no sense, those chips could be put in radiation vault
(Nasa Juno, Europa Clipper and ESA JUICE have there electronic in radiation vault out thick aluminum alloy walls)

Scott Manley has just put out a video about the Luna 25 investigation and its findings into what caused it to crash:

We now have a pretty good idea of why Russia's lunar lander crashed into the moon, it was due to a software error which failed to activate the inertial measurement unit, leaving the spacecraft unable to know when it had completed a critical maneuver. As a result the maneuver was performed for longer than intended leading the spacecraft to crash into the moon.