RavenOne

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
On this day 4 decades ago, the Royal Air Force receives its first Chinook helicopter

BF66937F-2B2B-47E6-9C02-2E495F8ACCED.jpeg

(Photo courtesy of Boeing)

And the rest is history serving Falklands, Beirut, Kuwait, The Balkans, Sierra Leone, Afghanistan, Mali now.

Speaking of history, remember late Eric Winkle Brown Book ‚Wings On My Sleeve‘, he went to Boeing Philadelphia to fly the prototype YCH-47A in 1962 (?) as MoD were looking at it with possible purchase in late 60s but did not come to fruition till decade and a bit later.

31B5C9A5-73E6-47ED-9DED-D7859459E827.jpeg

cheers

You'll find the story of its procurement in The Air Staff and The Helicopter. Hilarious.

Chris
I have read it as ordered It off amazon the other week Chris, excellent book and like the illustrations.

Though seems to be out of stock for the Admiralty and the Helicopter which is my next purchase.

Are you working on for U.K. attack helicopter as well?
cheers

<-------------------------------------------

Amazon? I don't supply Amazon.

Chris

My bad. Am c r p at links here is the pic from 1963

Attachments

• Chinook Gnome helicopter_Flying_Review_page_3_Sep_1963.jpg
    Chinook Gnome helicopter_Flying_Review_page_3_Sep_1963.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 20
Not sure where else to put this?

Rather well known and rightly being preserved:

Excellent article on Bravo November and Chinook operations in the Falklands in the latest Aeroplane. Excellent issue, got tankers, transports and helicopters.

Nice....

Chris

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220327_202925.jpg
    Screenshot_20220327_202925.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 8
I grew up thinking Hookers were a lower life form, deriding the lot. Worked desperately to stay clear of them at the club, so that the girls would not think me one of them.
Then they went and did fifty years of sterling service toward perseverance of truth, justice and the Western Way (globalization, sue me).
I must reluctantly give them a well done!