Just further to the Rooikat 105...it appears it may even have been displayed in 1990 already.

Regardless of the United Nations, by 1990, Apartheid South Africa's arms industry was so confident of the value of its wares that it held an international exhibition. In September 1990 the state-owned weapons manufacturer, Armscor, held Defence Expo South Africa (DEXSA '90) at the Gerotek Test Range near Pretoria. On display were G5 and G6 howitzers; the Valkiri multiple rocket system; the Ratel infantry fighting vehicle; Rooikat armoured car; the Olifant tank; (10) and the Buffel mine-resistant troop carrier. Systems under development included: the Atlas Aircraft Corporation's Rooivalk combat helicopter prototype; the Kentron SAHV-3 (surface-to-air, high velocity) missile based on an enhancement of the French Crotale system; the ZA-SPADS gun and missile mobile air defence system; the ZT3 Swift long-range laser guided anti-tank missile system for ground or helicopter launch;and a number of Rooikat armoured car variants, including 105mm and ZT3 armed 'tank killer' versions. Although only South African industry could display, and foreign visitors attended mostly as private individuals rather than as government or company representatives, DEXSA '90 was declared a major success.

In 1991 the state arms industry holding company Armscor was divided into two separate organizations: Denel, an independent manufacturer; and Armscor which defines South Africa's military needs and supports export initiatives. As a South African official noted at the time: 'It shows that we're serious about exporting our weapons. We can match the best the Europeans can make and we can deliver, despite the United Nations'. (11) Another DEXSA exhibition was held in 1992. The international media was surprised at the size of the exhibition and its international visitor list. A notable feature of DEXSA '92 was the number of missile types offered by Kentron, including the SAHV-R and SAHV-IR anti-aircraft missiles. Kentron's Darter missile was compared to France's most advanced air-to-air missile, Matra Magic. The Rooivalk helicopter was revealed to have some of the latest systems, including an optical helmet-tracking device.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/The+new+South+African+arms.-a0128599743

The development of a 105mm variant so early in the programme makes perfect sense to me. When we go back through this thread, we have that large 105mm Bismark vehicle that was already built as part of the evaluation process in the 1980's that lead to the final Rooikat design. It wasn't taken up because the Rooikat clearly could be upgunned.
So we know that the 105mm was part of the process from an early stage already.

Thanks Kaiserbill. The Rooikat was introduced into service in the SADF in 1990 and it seems, from your posts, that the 105mm version was probably already at an advanced stage of planning/development at that time. Your photo from 1992 clearly shows that at least one prototype was around by that time.
It is fantastic to see the superb state of the SA arms industry was in during the late eighties, early nineties, before it was gutted by the post-apartheid government.

kaiserbill said:
Herman said:
Reply to post #185.

Janes' says that the Rooikat 105 was introduced in 1994, whatever "introduced" means. Certainly had prototypes running about before that time.

Herman, further to that pic of the Rooikat 105mm with the old SA flag, dating it to before early 1994, I also have this pic of a Rooikat 105mm that was on display apparently in 1992 already.
I can't verify, of course, the accuracy of the label, but I do personally recall there being a host of unveiled weapons/platforms at shows in that time period. It was in that very period where I personally saw that model of the Carver fighter jet, that I still bitterly regret not take a pic of... :'(

It might be of benefit to find out what shows were on in that time period. I do know, for example, that there was an arms show in Johannesburg in November 1992.

EDIT: DEXSA 92 probably.
EDIT2: Definitely DEXSA 92. The red zigzag motif banners hanging from the ceiling feature in every pic I have of that show.
There was also a Pretoria Show that year, as well as display in Cape Town that year which is where I saw the Carver model.

Regarding the quote about the old SA flag above, is it not an Egyptian flag in post no 184?

sa_bushwar said:
Regarding the quote about the old SA flag above, is it not an Egyptian flag in post no 184?

Hmmm..it could be either, now that you mention it.

The colours in the photo itself make it hard to judge. I've seen period pics of trade shows, particularly in bright sun, that show the blue of old SA flag as being very very dark.

Either way, there is other info and pics out there showing an earlier date for the Rooikat 105 than Janes brief report.

According to this book (page 185) :

In 1990, an upgrade and redesign programme was started by Reumech OMC to customise the Rooikat for the international market and by 1994, the development of the Rooikat 105 variant with a 105mm rifled gun was completed.

It is mentioned later on in this book that only one Rooikat 105 prototype was manufactured.

Matt,
I also have that book: excellent. The Rooivalk helicopter was introduced to the public and into service in the SAAF a long time ago but full qualification of the aircraft was only completed a few years ago, I believe. Maybe the same was true for the Rooikat? The prototype could have started running in 1991 or 1992 but development, i.e. full integration of all subsystems, durability testing, etc. was possibly only completed in 1994?

Matt R. said:
Back to Rooikat :

In a French publication (RAIDS HS n°20 by Marc Chassillan), one may find a picture and a line drawing showing a Rooikat equipped with the Bofors 40mm two-man turret of the Swedish CV9040.

I don't think this variant has been discussed so far, and I was wondering whether someone could provide more details, e.g. : when ? photoshop, mock-up or actual protoype ? etc...

Thanks in advance.

IMHO, there are two possibilities: One, is mock-up. Two, is a lash-up, reinforced by the single-color chassis and the camo-painted turret. At the time, Bofors was actively marketing the turret, witness the experimental BWP-40 modification to the Polish BWP-1 and the MT-LB WAT-40.

P.S.: Can you also scan the captions? They may provide us with a clue.

During the tests in SA, in 1961, which resulted in the adoption of the Panhard/Eland, this thing was also tested.

Sorry, there was supposed to be a photo of the Panhard EBR in the above post.

CostasTT said:
Matt R. said:
Back to Rooikat :

In a French publication (RAIDS HS n°20 by Marc Chassillan), one may find a picture and a line drawing showing a Rooikat equipped with the Bofors 40mm two-man turret of the Swedish CV9040.

I don't think this variant has been discussed so far, and I was wondering whether someone could provide more details, e.g. : when ? photoshop, mock-up or actual protoype ? etc...

Thanks in advance.

IMHO, there are two possibilities: One, is mock-up. Two, is a lash-up, reinforced by the single-color chassis and the camo-painted turret. At the time, Bofors was actively marketing the turret, witness the experimental BWP-40 modification to the Polish BWP-1 and the MT-LB WAT-40.

Caption for the image says : "Cooperation with Bofors of Sweden gave birth to this fire support / cavalry version, which, - unfortunately -, found no buyer. (photo credit : Bofors)"

No caption for the line drawing.

Matt R. said:
CostasTT said:
Matt R. said:
Back to Rooikat :

Thanks in advance.

Caption for the image says : "Cooperation with Bofors of Sweden gave birth to this fire support / cavalry version, which, - unfortunately -, found no buyer. (photo credit : Bofors)"

No caption for the line drawing.

Got it, thanks.

Here is a picture of the Panhard EBR. Also trialled in SA, in 1961, priot to the adoption of the AML which became the Eland.

panhard-ebr-75-08.jpg

Another Bismarck photo with original turret. This time undergoing tilt test. From "Survive the Ride" by Camp and Heitman. This takes the number of still photos to three? Plus a brief moment of video.

Attachments

• R9983.png
    R9983.png
    403.2 KB · Views: 297
Abraham Gubler said:
Another Bismarck photo with original turret. This time undergoing tilt test. From "Survive the Ride" by Camp and Heitman. This takes the number of still photos to three? Plus a brief moment of video.

Angle of the Bismarck not seen every day...

Attachments

• Bismark panorama verklein.jpg
    Bismark panorama verklein.jpg
    528 KB · Views: 301
  • Bismark toring verklein.jpg
    Bismark toring verklein.jpg
    458 KB · Views: 270
It really is a wheeled tank... :eek:
In the last picture posted, are those track links on the rear of the turret?

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• Bismark toring verklein.jpg
    Bismark toring verklein.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 270
robunos said:
It really is a wheeled tank... :eek:
In the last picture posted, are those track links on the rear of the turret?

cheers,
Robin.

The Bismarck that remains is just the hull. For some reason the SA Armour Corps museum has fitted a standard Olifant turret to the hull. Including the spare track links on the bustle! "Surive the Ride" mentioned that the West German designed 6x6 Rooikat test bed had its turret destroyed in trials. Maybe this is what happened to the Bismark?

anyone seen or heard of the rooikat SAM version which apparently existed as a prototype. what misses system was this ?
http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Rooikat

As your earlier wiki link stated, the SAM was proposed to be the ZA-HVM.

The ZA-HVM program has been covered in other threads. The missile later became the Umkhonto. See here for some info on the missile:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8895.msg117367.html#msg117367

For the proposed Rooikat launcher see the SA prototypes thread that covers a general range of SADF land systems:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9088.msg106277.html#msg106277

Also the eGlas thread covers SADF GBAD programs focusing on their local 35mm gun but also some mention of the missile element:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8696.0.html

ZA35, discussed in this thread, post 27.

There is also a separate thread:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8696.0.html

sa_bushwar said:
Is this the company that assisted SA to develop the electric drive Rooikat?

Yes. See here under "Medium Weight or Heavy Wheeled Vehicles" at the bottom of the page.

cved01_01.jpg

CVED - MM Diesel-electric drive system 420 kW 8x8 - System Integrator: Armscor

Janes IDR article (November 2004) on the CVED (electric drive) - it pre-dates the Janes IDR article (2006) in my post #76, so I'm not sure what more it adds - still, if not just for completeness..

Attachments

• Nov 2004-24.jpg
    Nov 2004-24.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
As its been a few years I'm curious if anyone has found out any more information about the Rooikat MTTD (the low profile 105mm turret)?

Interesting..
The original Rooikat 105mm (BGR 053M) seems to still be in existence.
This was at the African Aerospace and Defence Show 2016.
These are the first pics I've seen of it since the 1990's. It is in really good condition. I wonder what they have been doing with it?

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_9549+(2).jpg
    IMG_9549+(2).jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 167
  • ilq61a5sw7k41.jpg
    ilq61a5sw7k41.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 189
Last edited:
As its been a few years I'm curious if anyone has found out any more information about the Rooikat MTTD (the low profile 105mm turret)?

Nothing official as far as I am aware, but it sports the same 105mm gun as the original above as far as I can tell, as well as the Avitronics LED150 hard kill defensive system on the turret and hull. Now in the Armour Museum, some of the LED150 components seem to have been removed

Attachments

• DSC_0372+(2).jpg
    DSC_0372+(2).jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC_0345+(2).jpg
    DSC_0345+(2).jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC_0131+(2).jpg
    DSC_0131+(2).jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Hi, someone have some information about the protection of the Rooikat? Especially the MTTB variant
Thanks in advance for the replays

The design of the Rooikat was driven, like any other vehicle, by the user requirement.

The baseline Rooikat was designed to withstand a TM46 anti tank mine, and is protected across the frontal arc from 23mm fire, using AP at medium ranges.
The mine requirement is self explanatory, like almost all South African vehicles. The hull can apparently also survive a 450kg IED.

The Soviet ZU-23 gun (AP round fired from medium range) drove the protection requirement.
This is a very widespread and potent weapon in 23x152mm calibre, used across the globe on almost every continent, in both the anti-air and anti-ground roles. It was very commonly experienced on operations in Angola.

I'm not sure of further developments with regards to protection, but I'd imagine this was obviously something the designers kept in mind, as long as the Rooikats exceptional mobility was not compromised too much.

Nothing official as far as I am aware, but it sports the same 105mm gun as the original above as far as I can tell, as well as the Avitronics LED150 hard kill defensive system on the turret and hull. Now in the Armour Museum, some of the LED150 components seem to have been removed

Thanks for the reply! The vehicle was recently added to the game War Thunder so I was curious about how accurate its details were given the very little amount of information known about it here. One thing about it I've also been wondering is if there is any relation to the Falcon turret the Jordanians had, as I know kentron had some involvement there and the MTTD seems to solve one of the remaining issues from the Falcon (lack of ammo).

One thing I am trying to figure out, is the "long hulled" Rooikats.
We know the missile variant displayed in the far east is one.
The ZA-35 SPAAG is another.
I am unsure the SPAAM mockup turret was on a normal hull or lengthened, but certainly a production one would be on the lengthened SPAAG hull.
The 2 Rooikat 105mm variants...difficult to tell.

I have tried going by registration numbers, but am on my phone at present, so it's difficult.

Attachments

• 26694566_10210920672393592_82237743_n-640x405.jpg
    26694566_10210920672393592_82237743_n-640x405.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 161
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 211