Rock Island Arsena 115mm XM70 rocket launcher

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
In post #8 of the following thread:
Proposed Aerial Artillery System, TomS states 'the 115mm XM-70' revolver rocket launcher (which I've never seen or heard of before).
So I used the 'Search' facility of this forum, to search for posts on the XM-70, but to no avail
So I'm hoping to learn more, on this weapon system please if anyone has any info on it please!

As a side note, Interestingly, whilst searching for the Rock Island Arsena 115mm
XM70 rocket launcher
developed for the U.S. Marine Corps from 1959 to 1963, I came across the following interesting video of the following unidentified weapon:

In the comments below this YouTube video, it's states it could be 'the USMC XM70 115mm rocket launcher'; but the obvious recoil is curious, as in why would a 'rocket launcher' need to recoil?
Can anyone ID this weapon?

Regards
Pioneer

Looks more like a revolver feed for an artillery tube than any kind of a rocket launcher. Interesting...

Enjoy the Day! Mark

I came across contemporary Popular Science and Popular Mechanics articles saying that the rocket motor in the XM-70 rounds ignites after leaving the barrel, suggesting there would be some sort of base charge that would cause recoil.

Edit: added links above

Last edited:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM70E2 According to the linked Wikipedia page, there was to be an SPG designated the XM71 that would carry this weapon. I haven't been able to find any images of this vehicle online. Does anyone have some saved? Thanks.

Regarding the recoil and the similarities to a conventional howitzer, and according to the afore mentioned article, it was to allow the team operating it to stay close during operation. This is also why it recoils, and would presumably allow the XM71 to have an enclosed turret.