Rock Island Arsena 115mm XM70 rocket launcher

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
In post #8 of the following thread:
Proposed Aerial Artillery System, TomS states 'the 115mm XM-70' revolver rocket launcher (which I've never seen or heard of before).
So I used the 'Search' facility of this forum, to search for posts on the XM-70, but to no avail
So I'm hoping to learn more, on this weapon system please if anyone has any info on it please!

As a side note, Interestingly, whilst searching for the Rock Island Arsena 115mm
XM70 rocket launcher
developed for the U.S. Marine Corps from 1959 to 1963, I came across the following interesting video of the following unidentified weapon:

In the comments below this YouTube video, it's states it could be 'the USMC XM70 115mm rocket launcher'; but the obvious recoil is curious, as in why would a 'rocket launcher' need to recoil?
Can anyone ID this weapon?

Regards
Pioneer

Mark Nankivil

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Looks more like a revolver feed for an artillery tube than any kind of a rocket launcher. Interesting...

Enjoy the Day! Mark

TomS

Reaction score
I came across contemporary Popular Science and Popular Mechanics articles saying that the rocket motor in the XM-70 rounds ignites after leaving the barrel, suggesting there would be some sort of base charge that would cause recoil.

Edit: added links above

Last edited:

Kadija_Man

Reaction score