RIA (Replacement Interdictor Aircraft) to replace F-117 ?

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

does anyone hear about RIA (Replacement Interdictor Aircraft) program to replace
Lockheed F-117A stealth fighter?.

Never heard of that one. Last I heard the F-22/F-35 would be taking over it's roll (most likely the latter I'd think). A stretched F-22 or something based on a developement of the YF-23 is dead as is the Regional Bomber. Now they're kicking around ideas for the 2018 bomber.

There have been reports of an aircraft flying, during the daylight, around Area 51, that looks similar to an F-117, but is a two seat aircraft, about one and a half to two times the size of the F-117. It's reportedly a later generation stealth aircraft as it isn't faceted.

It's also been reported that there are approximately seven manned platforms that have been flown/flight tested, at a minimum, that are classified, based on reports of the histories of various test pilots. One of these test pilots reportedly holds an "altitude record" for having been the one to fly the highest and open the weapons bay of one such aircraft.

Until any of these aircraft are de-classified, or at least have a reduced classification, I doubt we'll know much about them.

Sundog said:
There have been reports of an aircraft flying, during the daylight, around Area 51, that looks similar to an F-117, but is a two seat aircraft, about one and a half to two times the size of the F-117. It's reportedly a later generation stealth aircraft as it isn't faceted.

It's also been reported that there are approximately seven manned platforms that have been flown/flight tested, at a minimum, that are classified, based on reports of the histories of various test pilots. One of these test pilots reportedly holds an "altitude record" for having been the one to fly the highest and open the weapons bay of one such aircraft.

Until any of these aircraft are de-classified, or at least have a reduced classification, I doubt we'll know much about them.

Hmm...Sounds like the aircraft that had the accident at Boscombe Down in 1994. An article I read showed a three view and it looks like a scaled up F-117 planform with F-23 design features. Speculative, but sound. You're description seems to fit. If the flying your talking about is recent, then I guess they got the program back on track. ::)

Thank you my dears,

and if anyone has a new program please tell us.