Reusable, winged versions of the Saturn V first stage

Orionblamblam

ACCESS: USAP
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
Issue Volume 1 Number 2 of the new Electronic Aerospace Projects Review has just been finished. The main article, at about 60 pages, covers a wide variety of designs - spanning more than a dozen years - for winged S-IC flyback boosters. Very early Boeing and North American designs to lower the cost of the Saturn V and Boeing, North American, McDonnell Douglas, Lockheed and Martin designs for reusable boosters for the Space Shuttle are all shown.
v1n2ad5.gif

v1n2ad6.gif

v1n2ad7.gif

v1n2ad8.gif

v1n2ad4.gif

This issue is very large (90 or so pages), so it costs a little more. Unless you're a subscriber, in which case it doesn't. The page for this issue:
http://www.up-ship.com/eAPR/ev1n2.htm

The basic eAPR webpage:
http://www.up-ship.com/eAPR/index.htm

Hi,

the Boeing's proposal for an expandable booster for the shuttle
was a Saturn-IC (Saturn-V first stage) to which stabilising fins
had been odded.
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1971/1971%20-%201669.html?search=vickers+VC+7

Attachments

• Boeing.JPG
    Boeing.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 143
Unidentified Flyback Booster (1964)

Several configurations of a winged first-stage reusable booster have been investigated to determine effects of various components on the drag and stability characteristics. Effects of forebody shape, base flare shape, simulated rocket engines and shrouds, and an arbitrary afterbody fairing were investigated on a fineness-ratio-4 body to provide a basis for evaluating drag characteristics and to indicate methods for improvement. The reusable vehicle consisted of the body with appropriate components and an attachable recovery package,which was constituted of the wing, vertical tails, necessary wing-body fairing and flyback propulsion-system nacelles. Two wing planforms were employed - a 35º clipped delta and a 65º swept trapezoidal wing - for which the wing area, aspect ratio, taper ratio, and airfoil section were identical. Effects on both longitudinal and lateral-directional aerodynamic characteristics of the various components, as well as some modifications, were evaluated. The investigation was conducted largely in the Langley 8-foot transonic pressure tunnel at Mach numbers from 0.4 to 1.2 over an angle-of-attack range at 0º and 5º sideslip.

Selected configurations were tested at moderate supersonic speeds in the Langley Unitary Plan wind tunnel at Mach numbers from 1.6 to 2.1.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19710064930_1971064930.pdf

As can be seen from the attached pictures the booster bears a vague resemblance to the S-IC.

Attachments

• UnidentifedFlybackBooster01.png
    UnidentifedFlybackBooster01.png
    150.9 KB · Views: 402
  • UnidentifedFlybackBooster02.png
    UnidentifedFlybackBooster02.png
    117.6 KB · Views: 364
  • UnidentifedFlybackBooster03.png
    UnidentifedFlybackBooster03.png
    168.3 KB · Views: 331
  • UnidentifedFlybackBooster04.png
    UnidentifedFlybackBooster04.png
    211.1 KB · Views: 326
Re: Unidentified Flyback Booster (1964)

I might be wrong, but IIRC it was a flyback booster version for Saturn rockets. The search enging will yield better results than my memory, though

Rafael said:
I might be wrong, but IIRC it was a flyback booster version for Saturn rockets. The search enging will yield better results than my memory, though

On first look it resemble the NAA study of reusable S-IC booster.
but this here is a study about large wing aerodynamics for flyback booster.
Although NAA could have used this Data for there reusable S-IC booster study

http://www.up-ship.com/eAPR/ev1n2.htm

Michel Van said:
Rafael said:

On first look it resemble the NAA study of reusable S-IC booster.
but this here is a study about large wing aerodynamics for flyback booster.
Although NAA could have used this Data for there reusable S-IC booster study

Maybe, but many of the studies referenced in the report seem to be related to flyback boosters for the DynaSoar.

Try this and be sure to buy the full report from Scott. It's pretty good.

http://www.up-ship.com/drawndoc/sdoc11ani.gif

XP67_Moonbat said:
Try this and be sure to buy the full report from Scott. It's pretty good.

""Pretty good?" "PRETTY GOOD?!?!" It's freakin' awesome is what it is, anyone who says different probably punches kittens and kicks puppies.

And yes, the models shown above are flyback S-IC concepts. Some are clearly related to the Boeing designs; others are likely NASA in-house generic concepts. The idea was to try every reasonable permutation of wing geometry, turbojet engine location and body-clocking to see what'd work best. They are not Dyna Soar flyback booster concepts, though it's a safe bet that Boeing transitioned some of what they learned on the DS boosters to the flyback S-IC. As those who have the APR issue can attest, Boeing slapped the cockpit of the Dyna Soar onto the flyback S-IC so the pilot would have somewhere to sit. And *that* would have been a hell of a ride with one whopper of a view.

Orionblamblam said:
""Pretty good?" "PRETTY GOOD?!?!" It's freakin' awesome is what it is, anyone who says different probably punches kittens and kicks puppies.

...Yeah, I downloaded the pirated copy, and it's actually pretty darn good.

:p ;D ;)

Hi,

http://www.xliby.ru/istorija/bitva_za_zvezdy_2_kosmicheskoe_protivostojanie_chast_i/p3.php

Attachments

• Winged Saturn.png
    Winged Saturn.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 126
Hesham,
these aren't exactly winged Saturn, I see Säger concepts in the picture

My dear Pometablava,

in the Google translate,they refer to the article as Winged Saturn,OK please transfer
it to Sager topic.

hesham said:
My dear Pometablava,

in the Google translate,they refer to the article as Winged Saturn,OK please transfer
it to Sager topic.

...Yeah, these are all from those "next-generation" Silverbird concepts. Good cross-selection of the various proposals, tho.

Orionblamblam said:
pometablava said:
Hesham,
these aren't exactly winged Saturn, I see Säger concepts in the picture

Two in upper right *are* winged Saturns, via NAA.

...OTay, on a second look, the upper top right one looks like one of the NAA proposals, but can you cite sour....

[slaps head]

...Frack me. Of *course* you can cite source. And one of these days I'll buy the collected works of your sources. I'd do it tomorrow, but I've been told I don't get anymore birthday presents after I turned 50 because I got to turn 50 twice last year.

Ah well..go figger, eh? :-\

Just how much weight penalty is involved in making the saturn stage flyable and landable?

Just double checking, was the fly back booster manned or controlled from a ground station?