• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Replacement of Australia's Collins Class Submarines

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com

Quote from article: "...Under plan B, the government would commission Saab Kockums, designers of the Navy’s existing submarines, to develop a preliminary design study (PDS) for an evolved version of the Collins Class submarine."

jeffb

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Do the Collins class have fuel cell stacks? Could they be retro fitted? Air independent engine types?
No, possibly and no. They're currently 'classic' diesel electric with lead acid batteries (400 tons worth iirc). Whether those options will be considered in the event of upgrades is still an open question I think. I'm pretty sure they're looking at replacing the diesel generators (3 per boat) so possibly a combined diesel/fuel cell approach could be taken, it'll depend on the state of the technology and how much capability it would actually add.

I'm wondering if there's any scope for extending the hull should they decide to expand capabilities through one or more 'drop in' modules? Something like a mission configurable VLS module could make them into SSGKs.

Maiwand1880

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
"including three American admirals "
no needs to read further

jeffb

Reaction score

Quote from article: "...Under plan B, the government would commission Saab Kockums, designers of the Navy’s existing submarines, to develop a preliminary design study (PDS) for an evolved version of the Collins Class submarine."
Thanks for that GTX, article contains a link to the full report. :)

Just browsing Covert Shores Saab/Kockums A26 page to see what directions the Swedes are going in with their new line of subs. Important to point out: The A26 displaces ~2000 tons, the current Collins displaces ~3500 tons, and the planned Future Submarine displaces ~4500 tons.

Rhinocrates

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Just browsing Covert Shores Saab/Kockums A26 page to see what directions the Swedes are going in with their new line of subs. Important to point out: The A26 displaces ~2000 tons, the current Collins displaces ~3500 tons, and the planned Future Submarine displaces ~4500 tons.
The proposed A26 Oceanic Extended Range variant displaces >3000 tones, admittedly still much less than ~4500.

jeffb

Reaction score
The proposed A26 Oceanic Extended Range variant displaces >3000 tones, admittedly still much less than ~4500.

The Swedes seem to making a point of designing their subs using (largely) interchangeable modules. I think it's a good approach. Certainly aids making their subs capabilities more flexible.