Rare Aircraft

XP67_Moonbat

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I found this site whille looking at a link for the Lockheed L-133 fighter. The link took me here. Saw some pretty cool designs including the Martin XB-16 which i hadn't seen before. There's a couple of shot of my namesake, the XP-67 Moonbat. Also found a picture of the Hughes D-2, which I was very surprised by. As I heard it, Hughes was so secretive about that project that no photos are said to exist of that bird. Yet here we are.

Enjoy:
http://rareaircraf1.greyfalcon.us/UNITED%20STATES.htm

Moonbat

Attachments

• ac9.jpg
    ac9.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,062
  • ac14.jpg
    ac14.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 993
Really great, not only for US aircraft, although the Bugatti model 100 racer is
listed as an italian aircraft .. ;D My personal favourite amongst those chapters
there is "LUFTWAFFE DECOY AIRCRAFT". Should already have known this, when
the discussion about the "unknown Heinkel aircraft" was on ...

Some interesting pictures, though I suspect more than one are fakes -e.g. MESSERSCHMITT ME BF 110 ASYMMETRICAL and REGIANNE RE.2007 ::).

Does anyone know if the following are real:

JU-52 with DB-601 Nose Engine
g208.jpg

HEINKEL HE-111 NIGHTFIGHTER
g107.jpg

FOCKE-WULF FW-190TL (Note, I know there was a proposal something like this, but I don't believe it was ever built or even mocked up)
g58.jpg

ARADO AR-234B-2/N NACHTIGAL (Note, I also know there were Ar-234 nightfighter concepts but once again I didn't think they had made it to the hardware stage and not with a radar setup like this)
ge6.jpg

Regards,

Greg

AFAIK, I've known the Lichtenstein equipped He 111 once before, it
was a testbed installation, not a night fighter.
And the photo of the Arado Ar 234B-2/N was shown several years ago,
in Jet & Prop, I think. This, too, was mainly an experimental installation,
not a service type and IIRC, a photo of the whole aircraft was still looked
for. Will have a look, if I find this article this evening.

The "Fw 190 TL" just look like a (not very cleverly ..) photoshoped standard
Fw 190 minus its prop ... ::)

FW-190TL this model with diarama (1 / 72) Igor Sheestakov's (aka 'Unicraft' models) sample 1992-93, saw himself.

HE-111 H with FuG220 "Lichtenstein" SN-2 from 8/NJG200
ARADO AR-234B-2 / N NACHTIGAL W.Nr.140145 (Erprobungskommando 234) early 1945
JU-52 with Jumo 213
"Junkers’ company aircraft, D-AMUY, had a Jumo 213 fitted to its nose and served as a communications aircraft on the Eastern front in summer 1942" from Flugzeug Foto-archiv, band 1

Attachments

• Ju-52 plus Jumo 213.jpg
    Ju-52 plus Jumo 213.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 94
  • Jumo 52 plus Jumo213..jpg
    Jumo 52 plus Jumo213..jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 96
Jemiba said:

well, the cowling does look a bit different from the standard BMW801. What is rather unlikely is that a test vehicle would be flying with Wgr.21 rockets under the wings! ;)

XP67_Moonbat said:
I found this site whille looking at a link for the Lockheed L-133 fighter. The link took me here. Saw some pretty cool designs including the Martin XB-16 which i hadn't seen before. There's a couple of shot of my namesake, the XP-67 Moonbat. Also found a picture of the Hughes D-2, which I was very surprised by. As I heard it, Hughes was so secretive about that project that no photos are said to exist of that bird. Yet here we are.

Enjoy:
http://rareaircraf1.greyfalcon.us/UNITED%20STATES.htm

Moonbat

Nice links Moonbat
i have Somewhere under my piles of Stuff a pair of publicity packages of the 50's/60's of American aviation projects photo's. Some are relatively mundane, like the F-86 Sabre and Super Sabre; but others are real gems like [the Sea Dart] the ones in your links. When i can finally dig them out, i'll have a go at posting the images.
I think there are a few folks who will enjoy them :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not having much success at the minute :(

Great find, thanks!

The Ju 52 was an ideal test bed for aircraft engines because of the three engine layout with the 'test' engine in the center location. Since a Ju 52 with just aircrew and no cargo can fly with two engines (not sure if it's any two engines or just the port and starboard engines), a problem with a test engine can be dealt with easily enough by shutting it down. Unless of course the engine blows up!

JU-52 with DB-601 Nose Engine
g208.jpg

AeroFranz said:
Jemiba said:

well, the cowling does look a bit different from the standard BMW801. What is rather unlikely is that a test vehicle would be flying with Wgr.21 rockets under the wings! ;)

AFAIK, the Fw 190-TL was intended to be a high-altitude version of the Fw 190-D with turbo-superchargers [to use a very outmoded term] - hence the "TL" (Turboanlage) suffix [possibly powered by Jumo 222's; hence the -puported - elongated cowlings]. Also, AFAIK, the Fw 190-TL was only ever intended (like the Fw 190-C modfications) as a research "bridge design" to the Ta-152 - not as an operational fighter (hence, ruling out the Wgr.21's). Also - the intended radiators (on the wings) for the "TL's" are absent. Hence - it looks very "Photoshoppy" to me; and badly so ::) ... possibly from an image of an operational (Shlageter "Home Defence" fighter; cf. the triple band insignia on the fuselage) Fw 190 D-9 with Dodel rocket-launchers (The cowling looks to me to be from a Caproni). Any clues or comments ????

In this case, the Fw190TL does mean "Turbinenluftstrahl" or turbojet. The long cowl contained a proposed Focke-Wulf designed jet engine which would have an odd annular exhaust instead of a nozzel. The proposal was not proceeded with and no hardware was made. The image is a heavy and crude bit of photoshop.

Actually, this "heavy and crude bit of photoshop" is an actual 35mm photo of a 1/72 model. One of Igor Shestakov's (Unicraft Models) very first, if not his first, kits. It wasn't even resin, but a vac. It was made in the days before the 'net, like late '80s - early '90s, IIRC. Somewhere in my stuff, I have a copy of this photo that he sent me way back then, when we had to write letters & snail-mail pics, rather than the wonderful world of computers & emails!

sagallacci said:
In this case, the Fw190TL does mean "Turbinenluftstrahl" or turbojet. The long cowl contained a proposed Focke-Wulf designed jet engine which would have an odd annular exhaust instead of a nozzel. The proposal was not proceeded with and no hardware was made. The image is a heavy and crude bit of photoshop.