Rare Aircraft

XP67_Moonbat

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I found this site whille looking at a link for the Lockheed L-133 fighter. The link took me here. Saw some pretty cool designs including the Martin XB-16 which i hadn't seen before. There's a couple of shot of my namesake, the XP-67 Moonbat. Also found a picture of the Hughes D-2, which I was very surprised by. As I heard it, Hughes was so secretive about that project that no photos are said to exist of that bird. Yet here we are.

Enjoy:
http://rareaircraf1.greyfalcon.us/UNITED%20STATES.htm

Moonbat

Attachments

• ac9.jpg
    ac9.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,054
  • ac14.jpg
    ac14.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 984

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Really great, not only for US aircraft, although the Bugatti model 100 racer is
listed as an italian aircraft .. ;D My personal favourite amongst those chapters
there is "LUFTWAFFE DECOY AIRCRAFT". Should already have known this, when
the discussion about the "unknown Heinkel aircraft" was on ...

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
Some interesting pictures, though I suspect more than one are fakes -e.g. MESSERSCHMITT ME BF 110 ASYMMETRICAL and REGIANNE RE.2007 ::).

Does anyone know if the following are real:

JU-52 with DB-601 Nose Engine
g208.jpg

HEINKEL HE-111 NIGHTFIGHTER
g107.jpg

FOCKE-WULF FW-190TL (Note, I know there was a proposal something like this, but I don't believe it was ever built or even mocked up)
g58.jpg

ARADO AR-234B-2/N NACHTIGAL (Note, I also know there were Ar-234 nightfighter concepts but once again I didn't think they had made it to the hardware stage and not with a radar setup like this)
ge6.jpg

Regards,

Greg

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
AFAIK, I've known the Lichtenstein equipped He 111 once before, it
was a testbed installation, not a night fighter.
And the photo of the Arado Ar 234B-2/N was shown several years ago,
in Jet & Prop, I think. This, too, was mainly an experimental installation,
not a service type and IIRC, a photo of the whole aircraft was still looked
for. Will have a look, if I find this article this evening.

The "Fw 190 TL" just look like a (not very cleverly ..) photoshoped standard
Fw 190 minus its prop ... ::)

borovik

Reaction score
FW-190TL this model with diarama (1 / 72) Igor Sheestakov's (aka 'Unicraft' models) sample 1992-93, saw himself.

HE-111 H with FuG220 "Lichtenstein" SN-2 from 8/NJG200
ARADO AR-234B-2 / N NACHTIGAL W.Nr.140145 (Erprobungskommando 234) early 1945
JU-52 with Jumo 213
"Junkers’ company aircraft, D-AMUY, had a Jumo 213 fitted to its nose and served as a communications aircraft on the Eastern front in summer 1942" from Flugzeug Foto-archiv, band 1

Attachments

• Ju-52 plus Jumo 213.jpg
    Ju-52 plus Jumo 213.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 86
  • Jumo 52 plus Jumo213..jpg
    Jumo 52 plus Jumo213..jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 89

AeroFranz

Reaction score
Jemiba said:

well, the cowling does look a bit different from the standard BMW801. What is rather unlikely is that a test vehicle would be flying with Wgr.21 rockets under the wings! ;)

Bodmas

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
XP67_Moonbat said:
I found this site whille looking at a link for the Lockheed L-133 fighter. The link took me here. Saw some pretty cool designs including the Martin XB-16 which i hadn't seen before. There's a couple of shot of my namesake, the XP-67 Moonbat. Also found a picture of the Hughes D-2, which I was very surprised by. As I heard it, Hughes was so secretive about that project that no photos are said to exist of that bird. Yet here we are.

Enjoy:
http://rareaircraf1.greyfalcon.us/UNITED%20STATES.htm

Moonbat

Nice links Moonbat
i have Somewhere under my piles of Stuff a pair of publicity packages of the 50's/60's of American aviation projects photo's. Some are relatively mundane, like the F-86 Sabre and Super Sabre; but others are real gems like [the Sea Dart] the ones in your links. When i can finally dig them out, i'll have a go at posting the images.
I think there are a few folks who will enjoy them :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not having much success at the minute :(

lkanai

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Great find, thanks!

The Ju 52 was an ideal test bed for aircraft engines because of the three engine layout with the 'test' engine in the center location. Since a Ju 52 with just aircrew and no cargo can fly with two engines (not sure if it's any two engines or just the port and starboard engines), a problem with a test engine can be dealt with easily enough by shutting it down. Unless of course the engine blows up!

JU-52 with DB-601 Nose Engine
g208.jpg

Bodmas

Reaction score
AeroFranz said:
Jemiba said:

well, the cowling does look a bit different from the standard BMW801. What is rather unlikely is that a test vehicle would be flying with Wgr.21 rockets under the wings! ;)

AFAIK, the Fw 190-TL was intended to be a high-altitude version of the Fw 190-D with turbo-superchargers [to use a very outmoded term] - hence the "TL" (Turboanlage) suffix [possibly powered by Jumo 222's; hence the -puported - elongated cowlings]. Also, AFAIK, the Fw 190-TL was only ever intended (like the Fw 190-C modfications) as a research "bridge design" to the Ta-152 - not as an operational fighter (hence, ruling out the Wgr.21's). Also - the intended radiators (on the wings) for the "TL's" are absent. Hence - it looks very "Photoshoppy" to me; and badly so ::) ... possibly from an image of an operational (Shlageter "Home Defence" fighter; cf. the triple band insignia on the fuselage) Fw 190 D-9 with Dodel rocket-launchers (The cowling looks to me to be from a Caproni). Any clues or comments ????

sagallacci

Reaction score
In this case, the Fw190TL does mean "Turbinenluftstrahl" or turbojet. The long cowl contained a proposed Focke-Wulf designed jet engine which would have an odd annular exhaust instead of a nozzel. The proposal was not proceeded with and no hardware was made. The image is a heavy and crude bit of photoshop.

frank

Reaction score
Actually, this "heavy and crude bit of photoshop" is an actual 35mm photo of a 1/72 model. One of Igor Shestakov's (Unicraft Models) very first, if not his first, kits. It wasn't even resin, but a vac. It was made in the days before the 'net, like late '80s - early '90s, IIRC. Somewhere in my stuff, I have a copy of this photo that he sent me way back then, when we had to write letters & snail-mail pics, rather than the wonderful world of computers & emails!

sagallacci said:
In this case, the Fw190TL does mean "Turbinenluftstrahl" or turbojet. The long cowl contained a proposed Focke-Wulf designed jet engine which would have an odd annular exhaust instead of a nozzel. The proposal was not proceeded with and no hardware was made. The image is a heavy and crude bit of photoshop.