RAE 1935 high speed unarmed bomber

PMN1

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
In BSP, Tony Butler mentions a RAE study in 1935 for a 'possible twin-Merlin type', does anyone have any information on this?

Just call me Ray said:
Maybe the Mosquito? It certainly fits the description.

Dont think so, BSP talks about the HP design, the Mosquitto and the Hawker High Speed aircraft but annoyingly just gives a single throw away line on the RAE study, doesn't even say if any documents are thought to exist.

Was 1935 not a bit to early for the Merlin ?
As far as I know , only the RR PV12 was running at that time...

PMN1 said:
but annoyingly just gives a single throw away line on the RAE study, doesn't even say if any documents are thought to exist.

Unfortunately, it is likely documents no longer exist and the mere fact that this study once existed may be the only remaining documentation left. In my experience, this seem to be the usual case in this type of scenario.

I hope someone is able to prove me wrong.

From Goulding and Moyes ‘RAF Bomber Command and its Aircraft, 1936-1940.

During 1935 the Royal Aircraft establishment at Farnborough undertook a series of hypothetical design studies of high speed twin-engned medium bombers for the Directorate of Technical Development. These designs were investigated to give the DTD information on possible future trends in bomber design, which would assist in formulating new specifications.

Two of the designs considered what performance would result from the installation of two Rolls Royce Merlin engines of 1,000hp each in a bomber of approximately 60ft span and a length of 37.5ft – one with gun turret armament for defence and the other a smooth unarmed aircraft relying on speed for defence. It was considered that, at an all-up weight of 18,000lb, it would be possible to achieve a speed of 329mph in the case of the latter design, while the addition of turret armament would reduce the speed by 14mph. It was consider that the unarmed bomber would be able to fly for 1,320 miles when carrying a bombload of 1,750lb.

No drawings unfortunately.

I would suggest that you contact the Farnborough Air Sciences Trust as they hold a large amount of material pertaining to studies undertaken by the RAE
https://www.airsciences.org.uk/
Let us know if you find anything new

Maybe it was the basis for this.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,545.0/

Attachments

• scan0035 (2).jpg
    scan0035 (2).jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 186
The quote from Goulding and Moyes does not suggest that these RAE designs were of unconventional layout so it seems a little doubtful that they formed the basis for the later canard design study. However there are many similarities between this and Miles' patented Libellula configurations.