Questions about Junkers aircraft

In connection with the Ju 85 and several other designs, it is interesting that the twin tail is justified on the grounds of giving a better field of fire. Some of the later Ju 88s got around this issue by fitting two gun positions, side by side, presumably with the idea that the gunner could select the one that was best placed. On the other hand, a twin tail meant that there were two obstructions for the gunner to keep in mind.

It is curious that even the more heavily armed version had 4 single rifle caliber machine guns. I would have thought that there would have been knowledge of British plans for fighters armed with 8 guns and efforts elsewhere to move to 20 mm cannon in fighter aircraft.

hesham said:
From; Vom Original zum Modell Junkers Ju-88

That's the shadow of EF.59 exactly in the magazine, Flugzeug Classic 3/2018.

Thank you my dears,

and also in Hugo Junkers site,they spoke about the EF-73 as a design
study for Ju-288,but in the Wikipedia,they spoke about the EF-74 as
also a design study for the Ju-288;
who we can believed ?.
The Wikipedia article about Junkers lists EF 73 as the company designation for the Ju 288 medium bomber. I'm guessing the Ju 288 article at Wikipedia has the project number for the Ju 288 incorrect.

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    462.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 4.png
    4.png
    690.8 KB · Views: 38
In connection with the Ju 85 and several other designs, it is interesting that the twin tail is justified on the grounds of giving a better field of fire. Some of the later Ju 88s got around this issue by fitting two gun positions, side by side, presumably with the idea that the gunner could select the one that was best placed. On the other hand, a twin tail meant that there were two obstructions for the gunner to keep in mind.

It is curious that even the more heavily armed version had 4 single rifle caliber machine guns. I would have thought that there would have been knowledge of British plans for fighters armed with 8 guns and efforts elsewhere to move to 20 mm cannon in fighter aircraft.
I suspect that the primary motivation for twin tails was to shift them outboard of the turbulence created by the fuselage.
A secondary benefit is smoother, faster air blown straight aft from propellers.