Poland Attack Helicopter competition between Bell and Boeing

No doubt AH64 is the front runner, but AH1 is likely a lower cost option. I imagine the number of offsets will be a key factor as well.

No doubt AH64 is the front runner, but AH1 is likely a lower cost option. I imagine the number of offsets will be a key factor as well.

I could see it going the way of the AH-64 too yasotay. But I do not want to knock the AH-1Z it is a good attack helicopter too.

I have to agree with @TomcatViP that radar is a key differential between first tier forces and others. Agree AH1 is a superb attack helo and superior at cost, but I do not think it can compete tactically in Europe.

What makes radar particularly useful in Europe?
(sorry, I have no clue about attack helicopter tactics)

they've mentioned that they will prioritize which could be delivered first.
I assume Ah-64 has more stocks lying around

What makes radar particularly useful in Europe?
(sorry, I have no clue about attack helicopter tactics)
Line of sight being cluttered by fog, high trees, foliage and clouds. And most importantly, shorad defenses radar that will spot you while you can't.
A radar also allow you to build an overall picture of the surrounding situation, something that provides superior situational awareness for better engagement results and survavibility.

Would a Lidar be better suited? Too big?

@helmutkohl - I think that both of the vendors have running production lines so neither is at a disadvantage there. Bell is selling to Slovakia so there could be a common source. Of course Netherlands and Britain are operating AH64 so it seems an advantage to Boeing for logistics concerns.

The radar, situated at the top of the rotor mast can be exposed without necessarily exposing the remainder of the aircraft to threat radar and other systems. The Longbow radar is a low probability of intercept waveform so it is more difficult to acquire. Also on the mast of the Longbow Apache is a Radio Frequency Inferometer (sp) (RFI) that allows the aircraft to acquire search and track radar waveforms. The latest version of the Apache AH-64E "Guardian" has a very impressive battle management systems that allows it to acquire targets and fire on a number of them in less than a minute. Likewise target data can be passed quickly to waiting artillery or fixed wing aircraft.

As much as I have a personal love of the Cobra, other than cost it is hard to see it as being able to truly compete with Apache Guardian.