Piston Engine to Jet Bombers/Transports Conversions

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Reaction score
sferrin said:
The B-42 wasn't a fighter. Hence the "B".
Neither were Tu-12, Tudor 8, Ashton or Viking. The original question was for piston to jet conversions, and I just named whatever I recalled.

Avro_Ashton_b.jpg

Ashton
Vickers_Nene_Viking_G-AJPH.jpg

Nene Viking

Much too fat for fighters, these :)
I had forgotten about the Shinden. Good one.

Ok, ok, let's start another thread for those "fatter" aircraft !

Attachments

• Vickers_Nene-Viking.gif
    Vickers_Nene-Viking.gif
    34.1 KB · Views: 355
We are forgetting the XC-123A.
The Provider was the only aircraft in history to have flown with all forms of propulsion (or lack thereof): Glider, piston engines, turbojet augmented piston engines, turboprops and turbojets.

CostasTT said:
The Provider was the only aircraft in history to have flown with all forms of propulsion (or lack thereof): Glider, piston engines, turbojet augmented piston engines, turboprops and turbojets.

What? No Rocket or Ramjet??? Shocking!! ;)

Maybe a little bit far fetched, but principally the Convair YB-60 was a jet powered
B-36, wasn't it ?

Jemiba said:
Maybe a little bit far fetched, but principally the Convair YB-60 was a jet powered
B-36, wasn't it ?
Given the 72% parts commonality between the B-36F and the YB-60 (aka B-36G), I believe we can safely say yes, it was. ;)

CostasTT said:

Absolutely true and a fascinating notion that I hadn't considered before.

From a technical viewpoint though, the XC-123A wasn't yet a Fairchild Provider, it was still a Chase Avitruc. The Fairchild Provider started with the C-123B version.