Piper designations and unknown aircraft

Piper PA.41P
found: http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/VanTilborg/12701.htm

Attachments

• Piper PA-41P.jpg
    Piper PA-41P.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 86
A nice one, for sure. Thanks!

As I think this hasn't been shown here before, here's the only photo I've ever seen of the Lima 1, a PA-23-250 modified by Burt Rutan.

And here's the story of this aircraft as told on STARGAZER, my own website devoted to Burt Rutan's works:

In the early 1990s, the Toyota Motor Company attempted to develop an aviation version of the Lexus engine. As a result, they teamed with Scaled Composites in 1991 to develop a fast, futuristic aircraft powered by a 250 hp version with 244 cubic inches of the 1989 Lexus V-8 powering the Japanese manufacturer's Lexus LS400 luxury car (Lexus is a division of Toyota). Scaled initially tested the prototype engine in the right nacelle of a Piper PA-23-250 Aztec N178AE (c/n 27-3189), designated the Lima 1 and certified to Dick Rutan's Voyager Aircraft in 1990. Only one photo of that aircraft is known (see left).
The Lima project was run by Yuki Togo (former head of Toyota Motor Sales, USA) and Jim Press (later head of Lexus), two very high level and highly regarded Toyota people. During the time that Mr. Togo and Mr. Press were in charge of the aircraft project they established Airflite, visited Oshkosh in the company's Gulfstream G-IV jet and took an interest in airshow activities. Lexus even sponsored Charlie Hilliard's 'Lone Star' racer. There is no clue as to the real meaning of "Lima", but it likely was an acronym. Someone suggested on a web forum that it could read as "Lexus In My Airplane". Though this is pure speculation, it would certainly be in line with some of the other wacky acronyms — such as SCAT or SMUT — that Burt Rutan seemed to be very fond of for his programs at the time...

[See the rest of the Toyota Aircraft story on the same site, with my pages on the Lima 2 and the Budgie... not related to Piper but interesting nonetheless ;) ]

Attachments

• Lima I.jpg
    Lima I.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 73
Yes, Lexus did sponsor Charlie Hillard's Sea Fury. He mainly used it to demonstrate aerobatics at airshows. Charlie Hillard was a successful auto salesman in his own right. Charlie flew formation aerobatics for many years with Tom Poberzeny and Gene Soucy. The Eagles Aerobatic Team performed formation aerobatics together for 25 years, retiring in 1995.
Sadly Charlie died when he crashed his Hawker Sea Fury. The Sea Fury nosed over and gently settled on its back. Charlie's chin was forced against his sternum and he suffocated before rescuers could right the airplane. There was no fire and damage to the airframe was minor.

Piper Skycycle, single-seater based upon an aluminum drop-tank. It was one of many prototypes that were built in anticipation of a post-WW2 boom in general aviation. Skycycle entered production.

Attachments

• SKM_C300i20092105260skycycle.pdf
    281.2 KB · Views: 17
  • SKM_C300i20092807150closet103.pdf
    298.3 KB · Views: 9
Piper Skycoupe

Attachments

• SKM_C300i20092008080skycoupe1.pdf
    218.9 KB · Views: 12
  • SKM_C300i20092008081skycoupe2.pdf
    245.1 KB · Views: 11
  • SKM_C300i20092008090skycoupe3.pdf
    231.8 KB · Views: 11
Piper Skysedan prototype was developed from the AT trainer. While the AT trainer had wooden wings supporting a fabric-covered, steel tube fuselage, the post-war, four-seater Sky Sedan had an all-metal, monocoque airframe.

Attachments

• SKM_C300i20092008110skysedan.pdf
    147.9 KB · Views: 22
Hi all,

the Piper Aircraft Corporation build a long series of light aircraft, but in this list are some gaps. Do you know anything about the Piper P.A.7 and 8; P.A.13; P.A.26 and 27; P.A.37; P.A.39; P.A.41; P.A.43;P.A.45...47...49...?
Please if you have with pics, drawing and technical data.

Servus Maveric ;)
Have a look at All-Aero.com. Has even the pre-PA- designations

Have a look at All-Aero.com. Has even the pre-PA- designations

Thank you All-Aero and welcome aboard,

but we know the series from beginning,and when I will back home,I will send the early list from Airlife's book.