Piaggio P.23

lucamax

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.res-aeronautica.com
Hi friends!
I'm looking for informations and possibly pictures and drawings about the Piaggio P.23 4-engined transport airplane (Not the Piaggio P.23R that is a totally different aircraft). On the web I found only a picture about the sole prototype built in 1935 and very few data, for example the airplane should be an intercontinental transport with 4 Isotta-Fraschini Asso Xi in tandem position.
I just know that the protoype has been destroyed directly in 1935...
Can you help me?

Attachments

• Piaggio_P_23.jpg
    Piaggio_P_23.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 667
Hi Lucamax,
I found in my archives only two photographs, already posted or quoted in this topic but, at least, not watermarked.
As you know, the life of the P.23M (M for Marino, owing to its emergency capability of ditching) was very short as it crashed on 25 October 1935 during the first flight, killing the 2-man crew.
An official brochure shows the following specifications:
Engines: four Isotta-Fraschini Asso XIR rated at 900 CV
Dimensions: wing span 27.00 m; lenght 16.61 m; wing area 97.5 sq m
Weight: empty 7,387 kg, useful load 11,052 kg, loaded 18,439 kg
Performance: max speed 400 km/h; climb to 4,000 m in 14 min; range 5,100 km
The second prototype, the p.23T, was cancelled (it's possible that the actual building never started).
Unfortunately, no trace of any 3-view drawing
Nico

Attachments

• P.23.jpg
    P.23.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 379
  • P.23M.jpg
    P.23M.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 121
Hi Nico!
Thank you very very much for this extraordinary pictures! I found the P.23 a very interesting aircraft, it's a shame that there are no drawings...

You can tell the family resembalance with the later P.50 bomber project.

PiaggioP50.jpg

Hi,

The design for the second P.23M (MM 264), which was not built, was converted into a
Trimotor configuration converted and renamed P.23T. Retained as a further development of the P.23M
The heavy bomber Piaggio P.50 I had tandem engines in each nacelle, the double tail
However, they were replaced by a single tailplane. Subsequently the P.50 II had a
conventional layout for its four engines - each in a separate nacelle.