Norway massacre

Status
Not open for further replies.
bobbymike said:
Many have tried to paint Christian Fundamentalism as now, due to Norway, equal to Islamic Fundamentalism.

I am not even remotely a Christian (I have a number of problems with it), and thus have no particular personal need to defend Christianity. However, to declare Breivik a "Christian fundamentalist" is a logically unjustifiable claim.

On the one hand, I do *not* accept the common arguement that "since he did these evil things, that means he's not a Real Christian." This is a cop-out. The Bible, even the New Testament, is loaded to the gills with God or God's people massacring the innocent. So claims that a modern religious massacre are un-Biblical are not easily supportable.

On the other hand, read Breivik's manifesto. I don't know what the guy actually *was,* but he was not "Christian fundamentalist." He was raised in and believed in the Norwegian state religion, but at this point appears to be either a casual believer in God or perhaps an agnostic. Still, he wants Christianity to dominate Europe (Catholicism, specifically), not because he's a "fundamentalist" believer, but for purely political reasons. He's a "cultural Christian" who wants the trappings of Christianity to become uniform and universal throughout Europe, but he doesn't seem to actually believe in the theology. Only in the power of Catholicism to unite Europe against the threat of Islam.

It's interesting. The majority of mainstream news pieces about Breivik *seem* to include some variation of "Christian fundamentalist" in their description, or claim that he was motivated by his Christianity. But the same mainstream media sources seem to try to avoid pointing out the religious motivations of the Ft. Hood Shooter and other Islamic terrorists.

Orionblamblam said:
bobbymike said:
Many have tried to paint Christian Fundamentalism as now, due to Norway, equal to Islamic Fundamentalism.

The Bible, even the New Testament, is loaded to the gills with God or God's people massacring the innocent.

Er, WHAT? For the Old Testament, I can accept wholesale massacres - but that was no more than the way things were done historically by peoples of all stripes. But the New Testament? I'm sorry, but that's a very long bow to draw. Chapter and verse, please.

pathology_doc said:
Orionblamblam said:
The Bible, even the New Testament, is loaded to the gills with God or God's people massacring the innocent.

Er, WHAT? For the Old Testament, I can accept wholesale massacres - but that was no more than the way things were done historically by peoples of all stripes. But the New Testament? I'm sorry, but that's a very long bow to draw. Chapter and verse, please.

Book of Revelation. Lakes of blood and all that.

Orionblamblam said:
Book of Revelation. Lakes of blood and all that.

It's generally agreed among reputable scholars that...
a) That's a future prophecy
b) dealing with the punishment of the damned, not the innocent, and
c) a metaphorical stab at Rome in coded language the enemies of Christianity couldn't be expected to decipher.

Gentlemen, please keep your theories in your pants.
Nothing to do with this forum. :mad:
Thanks,

Best regards from Norway.

Re: Mexico massacre Re: Norway massacre

Orionblamblam said:
At least 40 people killed in a cassino in a casimo in Monterrey, Mexico, with grenades.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/americas/08/25/mexico.grenade.attack/index.html

Somewhat more than half as many killed as in Norway. Who wants to bet that this gets substantially less than half the worldwide press coverage?

This isn't something to play tit-for-tat about or compete in. IMHO, it is disrespectful all-round (no offense intended).

Of course, we regularly report our own casualties first and the casualties of allied groups second (eg. in Afghanistan). We often don't bother reporting the attacks there. This isn't right either. The attacks in Norway were particularly shocking because the country doesn't have a history of that kind of violence, because the violence was directed at a democratic political party and because the violence deliberately targeted youth as young as ~14...

There is already my earlier post on this subject which owns up to my own reactions and failures (to understand) in this regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.