Gerry Anderson 1929-2012

Michel Van

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
this hurt's
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-20845407
So many Artist died this year
Moebius, Harry Harrison, Tony Scott and now Gerry Anderson

He enlighten my Childhood, with bright beautifully light.
He gave me wonderful dreams called: Stingray, Thunderbird, Captain Scarlet, Joe 90, Döppelganger, UFO, Space:1999, Terrahawk...

Thank you, mr Anderson for all this !

my deepest condolence to the Anderson Family

Gosh! Anderson was a genius.

And of course he would not quite have made it as big without the assistance of his wife, who participated actively in most of his projects.

I'm not sure there still exist visionaries in that field with that much originality and inventiveness. By today's standards, a Gerry Anderson would be rejected by the major studios or his work would be much modified to fit within the genre categories... Fortunately, it was Britain in the 1960s, not the U.S. today.

As a kid we only got Thunderbirds and Space:1999 in France, but these made such an impact on me... I can imagine the joy of growing up watching Joe 90, Captain Scarlet and UFO... only caught a glimpse of the wonder, but it wasn't too bad!

RIP, and thanks!

Between Thunderbirds, secret Mach 3 airplanes popping out of the woodwork, and the boundless promises of V/STOL, the 1960s were an inspiring time to grow up in.

Looking back, Anderson's creations seem quite reasonable...

Attachments

• d24.jpg
    d24.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 286
  • tb1.jpeg
    tb1.jpeg
    33.5 KB · Views: 268
  • tb2.jpg
    tb2.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 271
  • hs141.jpg
    hs141.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 261
RIP and thanks!

Space 1999 was my fav TV show when I was 5 years old.

Both Gerry Anderson and Moebius in the same year is heartbreaking.

Gerry Anderson provided the imagery of my childhood and Moebius
provided visions for my teens/early adulthood. Both will be sorely missed.

R.I.P. Gerry.

Goodbye Gerry, and thanks for all those marvellous TV series (from supermarionination to live action), especially for Space 1999.

Gerry Anderson's work saw me through childhood and growing up. I was just old enough to catch Torchy the Battery Boy and Supercar. However, it was Fireball XL5 that has stayed with me all these years. The opening credits and scene at Space City where XL5 takes off with its jazzy soundtrack was just phenomenal for 1963 (it still hits a note see you tube). I followed the following series. Thunderbirds with its wonderful range of guest vehicles probably caught the mood of the mid 60s best. Fireflash and Zero X were biggers stars than the Thunderbirds machines.

Like all of us, Gerry Anderson had his downs as well as ups. He desperately wanted to work with human actors and did so from 1968 on. Sadly these shows show their age more than the puppet shows. The kit in Doppelganger, UFO and Space 1999 outshines the human element, despite the best efforts of some good actors. But there were also some good looking ladies for the adolescent UK 75. Gabrielle Drake, Jane Merrow, Judy Geeson and Lynne Frederick all put in an appearance..

Thanks Gerry and be seeing you with any luck

uk 75 said:
(...) Gabrielle Drake, Jane Merrow, Judy Geeson and Lynne Frederick all put in an appearance..

Thanks Gerry and be seeing you with any luck

Quote everything, especially the lovely Gabrielle Drake and the curly Judy Geeson (also seen in Star Maidens and Inseminoid).

Please do not forget the classy Barbara Bain....

archipeppe said:
Please do not forget the classy Barbara Bain....

Indeed. And even Joan Collins made a nice appearance in one episode.

I'm not counting the charming Maria Schell because to me the second season of Space:1999 (the American one) was a far cry from Anderson's style and approach.

Back
Top Bottom