Northrop N-31 and N-31A flying wing bombers

Wow. The jet one is N-31 w/o suffix, powered by six Westinghouse engines. It looks like the -A used Turbodynes.

I surprised that this forum is really high level!. Recent activities are wonderful.

I regret to say I do not know much about the Model N-31A project, even though I am a big fan of the YB-35 and YRB-49!

I am assuming that the Model N-31A was a turboprop-powered development of the basic YB-35 design?

Can some give me more details/technical data about the N-31A project

Regards
Pioneer

mmm, seems a different kind of flying wing than the B-35/49 type, more like a radical Vulcan (it has a fuselage).

isn't the N-31 the same aircraft as illustrated on page 3 of OBB's 'prototype issue' of APR, v0n0?

it looks it to me...

cheers,
Robin.

Yes, in part. Scott published a different iteration in addition to the two-engines version. BTW, the N-31 and N-31A are covered on page 72 on beautiful "Les Avions and Engines Northrop" by Alain Pelletier (MiniDocavia) at page 72. Shame on me for having not noticed it before...

Hi Gents.

Just completed a new set of images - a few examples attached, see also

I am always drawn to flying wings (although I suppose this is not technically one - it has a defined fuselage). From what information I could glean (and a lot of it was conflicting) is that this was offered up as a proposal for the role that the B-47 eventually took up (?).

There appear to be a variety of configurations proposed (2 engine / 4-engine as well as varying body shapes), so I have had to use a bit of 'scope' shall we say to try to capture the essence of what I think this plane could have been, keeping as near to them common ground of all the options as possible. I have no idea if this was mocked-up or wind-tunnel tested, or even modelled, but it's a handsome thing nonetheless. Jack certainly knew a thing or two.

Attachments

• Northrop_Scene_01.jpg
    Northrop_Scene_01.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 945
  • Northrop_Scene_05.jpg
    Northrop_Scene_05.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 842
  • Northrop_Scene_08.jpg
    Northrop_Scene_08.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 756
  • Northrop_Scene_04_BW.jpg
    Northrop_Scene_04_BW.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 499
Inspiring images, thanks so much for sharing. Just out of curiosity...

• Are we looking at a twin-engined version with contra-rotating props or a four-engined version with coaxial props?
  • That appears to be glazing at the wing roots...how many crew were there and where were they to sit?

Cheers,

Matthew

Thanks Matthew.

This configuration was the twin-engined version - Turbodyne V driving 6-bladed contra-prop - i.e one engine per wing. I also understand that the engine was rated at 10,000 hp.

The suggested crew was 4 or 5. I assume 2 in the main cockpit, the others in the wing/fuselage area.

Beautiful artwork, Martin! Gives a lot of substance and credibility to this unbuilt project...

Very nice illustrations! You wouldn't have a Northrop N-number for this design would you? It's new to me.

Absolutely gorgeous!! These images really deserve to appear in such publication dedicated to the Northrop flying wings.....

This design was covered in V0N0 (prototype issue) of the Aerospace Projects Review that was freely available. Scott, do you still have it somewhere online? No N number given.

Cheers chaps, thanks for the encouragement.

You have already answered my next question (if anyone knew the designation number) so a few title changes are due (I was sent an extract of the pdf by a visitor - I didn't realise it was one of Scott's - so I shall retro-credit that info on my site).

Would I be correct in saying this was a contender for the B-47 role? If not, does anyone know what else it might have been?

Orionblamblam said:
Matej said:
This design was covered in V0N0 (prototype issue) of the Aerospace Projects Review that was freely available. Scott, do you still have it somewhere online?

Yup: http://www.up-ship.com/apr/v0n0.pdf

Note: it's nowhere near as good as the "real" issues.

No N number given.

It's an N-31.
My NORAIR PROJECT DESIGNATIONS document simply lists N-31 as "Medium Bomber." It gives no specifics whatsoever. But I believe N-31 was six-jet engines and N-31A was two turboprop engines.

XB-70 info is coincident with Pelletier's book "Les avions Northrop". N-31 is a 6 jet engined proposal (2 in the wing tips and 4 buried in the wings) while N-31A is a 4 turboprop engined version (that from martinletts drawing). However drawings shown from the book are slightly different.

Note: 4 paired turboengines, that is 2 propellers.

Cracking!

Thanks XB-70! That just sums up the 50s for me - nuclear powered ovens and flying cars just around the corner. This is certainly another option for me to illustrate in the future.

I'm looking forward to Bill Rose's new book, out next month I understand.

Thanks again.

Hi
Would someone have the N31 (with 6 jet engine) data listed below
Max speed - no data in blueprint
Height - not so visible (unclear)
Max weight - no data in blueprint.

Hi
Would someone have the N31 (with 6 jet engine) data listed below
Max speed - no data in blueprint
Height - not so visible (unclear)
Max weight - no data in blueprint.
Only estimated speed of 608 mph.