• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Northrop/McDonnell Douglas YF-23 and EMD F-23

Phos

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
litzj said:
Phos said:
Does anyone know what the benefit of jet engines in a tow out arrangement is?, Both the F-23 EMD and NATF-23 have the arrangement. I get that having them toe in helps in engine out situations, but that obviously isn’t the case for toe out.
less momentum when one of them is in flame out?
For a puller engine, yeah, but pusher engines need to be toe in for that to work, like on the su-35 and su-57. I would expect toe out to make single engine yaw even worse.

Phos

Reaction score
Steven said:
When comparing the F-23 DWGs with the YF-23, it appears that the chines on the F-23 are substantially more subdued than on the YF-23. I wonder what effect that has on vortex generation at high alpha; I would think that it would be less than on the YF-23. Is there anything on the high alpha testing or modeling of the YF-23 to give insight as to why the chines were altered?
It looks to me that the chines didn't shrink, everything else grew into them. I wanna say they generate compression lift? I'm no expert but I think the bottom is the part that matters.

icyplanetnhc

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Website
aiaa.seas.ucla.edu
Phos said:
Does anyone know what the benefit of jet engines in a tow out arrangement is?, Both the F-23 EMD and NATF-23 have the arrangement. I get that having them toe in helps in engine out situations, but that obviously isn’t the case for toe out.
The F-23's arrangement does create a worse yawing moment due to asymmetric thrust. My guess is that they had sufficient confidence in the reliability of the engines to go with that arrangement in order to improve volume distribution and area ruling.

Ogami musashi

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
HangarB Productions F-23 model, is up for sale at sketchfab. Even if the model is not true to the F-23A EMD, this is one of the rare F-23 model of high quality and can be used as a starting point for modification into the EMD version.

shawnblue

Reaction score
Would anyone happen to have the unclassified technical drawings? I'm attempting to create a 1:12 scale flying replica. I have one sheet in high quality, and a few in that are almost impossible to read.

Attachments

Ogami musashi

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Would anyone happen to have the unclassified technical drawings? I'm attempting to create a 1:12 scale flying replica. I have one sheet in high quality, and a few in that are almost impossible to read.
You have the most recent and accurate one in paul metz YF-23 book @air force legends.

galgot

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
galgot.com
That plan is a beauty.
Please there is one thing I don't understand, does the part I point on this crop means that the V-Tail could be rotated down to 37° and 17.1° for storage ?yf23question.jpg

flateric

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Lol, no. It just shows clearances.

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
The only link I can imagine between those two is wheels, wings and gear.

sferrin

Reaction score
That area in red has always surprised me. It would be worse from other angles.

Sundog

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
With regard to the area in red I figured three things:

1) There is something about the way all of the radar waves bounced around in the duct that made that not a problem.
2) They didn't expect any radar signals to be coming from head on at the same altitude, due to it's operational altitude. All of the radar waves from in front would be from well below the waterline of the aircraft.
3) They were going to incorporate some sort of fan blocker that didn't need to be shown in these drawings.

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Seeing something by eye =/= radar wave return from it. pp 1 and 2 are quite a good description.