NORTHROP FLYING WINGS by Graham Simons (Pen and Sword) - Anyone Heard Of This?

Have seen it listed but have not purchased …yet. The online reviews on Amazon look good though.

I've got a copy of this book. Just retrieved it from a box during one of those periodical, rainy day library audits.

It’s a very good book. Lots and lots of data and images on the XB-35 and related projects. Only a page or two of unbuilt stuff.

XP67_Moonbat said:
Better than or as good as Pape & Campbell's book from '95?

Ehh hang on that's the one I have! Pape & Campbell's book is great. I have no idea about the Simons book. Sorry for any confusion.

I have the Pape & Campbell book myself, and it's great. Don't know about the new one, although it makes you wonder what could possibly be said about the subject that hasn't already been covered elsewhere...

I have the book, it mainly deals with the whole history of Northrop's flying wings from the very early designs through the XB-35 and YB-49 to the B-2, though the chapter on the B-2 is a bit on the thin side information wise as the story of the B-2 has been covered elsewhere, Stealth Bomber by Bill Sweetman is one such book.

Does the author identify the source(s) of his information and photos? I know of only one or two sources who have truly extensive files on the XB-35 and XB-49. I have a special interest in the big flying wings, having built a vac-form of it that appeared in the premier issue of FineScale Modeler. I also played a big role in the AMT kits being produced and have pieces of the bird Glenn Edwards put into the ground. So I'm very interested in a well-researched book based on original documents but not an extensively "gathered" book taken from previously-printed books.
I appreciate your information.
AlanG

from the acknowledgements page of the book....

National Museum of the USAF
Air Force Historical Research center
Air Technical Service Command
Collections : Simon Peters
Martin Bowman
Peter Green

Back
Top Bottom