• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Northrop F-5G / F-20 Tigershark

Dan Fahey

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Interesting name for a Fighter F-CK-1....like it is sending a message.
i am wondering if that and T-50 were back engineering designs of the F20.

kaiserd

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score

A different US manufacturer (F-16 producer General Dynamics, later absorbed/ became Lockheed Martin) assisted with the design of each of these aircraft (i.e. not F-5/ F-20 producer Northrop). Both designs (especially the T-50) have certainly features/ elements seen in the F-16.
So in summary the answer to your question is no. :)

Dan Fahey

Reaction score

A different US manufacturer (F-16 producer General Dynamics, later absorbed/ became Lockheed Martin) assisted with the design of each of these aircraft (i.e. not F-5/ F-20 producer Northrop). Both designs (especially the T-50) have certainly features/ elements seen in the F-16.
So in summary the answer to your question is no. :)
Yeah....but there is something too familiar with these two aircraft.
Looks a bit of North American design like the P51 and Sabre series.

helmutkohl

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
I think the T-50 basically looks like a mini F-16 with side intakes instead of a belly one. the Lockheed lineage is clear

FCK1 a little bit less so.

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
F-CK-1 is simply a twin engined F-16 configuration. Engine intakes are like those on GD's "503" twin engine LWF, small angled versions of the F-16 inlet tucked under the LERX. The LERX is convex not concave in order to accommodate the engine intakes better. Any F-18 resemblance is purely down to the twin engines and the convex LERX, but the LERX design is F-16 style in design. Model 401 tested convex, straight and concave versions of the LERX, for Model 401 with single engine the concave version was better.

helmutkohl

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
F-CK-1 is simply a twin engined F-16 configuration. Engine intakes are like those on GD's "503" twin engine LWF, small angled versions of the F-16 inlet tucked under the LERX. The LERX is convex not concave in order to accommodate the engine intakes better. Any F-18 resemblance is purely down to the twin engines and the convex LERX, but the LERX design is F-16 style in design. Model 401 tested convex, straight and concave versions of the LERX, for Model 401 with single engine the concave version was better.

are there any pics of the 503 model?
i checked this thread and shockingly found a model of a mini F-15 instead! lol

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A 503 study (not final)

Top view only of final version here:

fortrena

Reaction score
Hoping that the following may be of interest.

A rather interesting production project began in the Canadian province of Manitoba in 1988. Bristol Aerospace of Winnipeg was considering relaunching production of the Northrop F-5 Tiger II. Indeed, this subsidiary of Rolls-Royce was also considering launching production of a derivative of the Tiger II, the F-20 Tigershark

Both Bristol Aerospace projects owed their origins to a very recent contract to refit some 50 Canadair-made CF-116s, as the F-5 was known in Canada, of the Canadian Armed Forces. To its surprise, the company was contacted by the air forces of a few countries wishing to purchase up to two hundred and fifty refurbished or newly manufactured aircraft. The Brazilian air force, for example, would have liked to acquire fifty aircraft. Despite the efforts of the Canadian company, plans for the production of the Tiger II and Tigershark fell through.

kaiserd

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
The difference between “contacted” (and what ever that means in practice) and “contracted” rather critical.
Northrop would have likely built themselves if actual sufficient demand to so.