General Dynamics F-16/79

A

afran

I like this bird nice colors. i think that this rare bird should have topic.
Do sombadey know performernce charts or something beyond wikipedia .
Did this stuff realy work i meam with F-4 nations.Two fighter one engine.
Is this bird that bad.

Steve Pace

Aviation History Writer
Reaction score
afran said:
I like this bird nice colors. i think that this rare bird should have topic.
Do sombadey know performernce charts or something beyond wikipedia .
Did this stuff realy work i meam with F-4 nations.Two fighter one engine.
Is this bird that bad.
You can try Code One magazine online. Or F16.net -SP

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It was a deliberate downgrading of the F-16, which would only have worked if the F100 engined version remained unavailable for export. Once controls on the original version were relaxed it was dead in the water. It would have been a little cheaper to buy, but worse in every other respect.

r16

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
worked hard to stick the THK with that one , then naturally they had to bribe the entire Air Force Command to get the 'A , which then somehow mutated to the C-30 . All due to the fact that PW kinda failed to provide the power on time on demand . Any whif model should include Turkish markings as standart .

Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2CZodHIc68

Ed Nash's Military Matters
Ed Nash's Military Matters
24.3K subscribers

SUBSCRIBE
When President Carter forbade the export of top grade military equipment, he didn't realise that his good intentions would not be reciprocated. So the United States initiated the FX program to develop an export fighter for their Allies. The F-16/79 was one of those aircraft.

From the comments thread:
Jim Daniel

Jim Daniel

1 week ago
A blast from the past! As a young engineer, I was assigned to the structural modifications the F-16B to turn it into the F-16/79. I designed the titanium fairing that extended aft of the existing fuselage, the engine mount modifications, some cockpit structural mods, and the 440 lbs of depleted Uranium ballast needed on the station 88 bulkhead needed for balance. It was an exciting opportunity and I still have my F-16/79 team member plaque.

EDIT: Note that the F X program should not be confused with the USAF's FX (also known as F-X) program that led to the F-15 Eagle.

Last edited: