Northrop Aeronautical Institute student Project

may be, Northrop Aeronautical Institute is a little bit different stuff than Northrop itself?

flateric said:
may be, Northrop Aeronautical Institute is a little bit different stuff than Northrop itself?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_University
Northrop University was founded in 1942 by Jack Northrop of Northrop Aviation. Originally named the Northrop Aeronautical Institute, the school opened for classes in June 1946 to 412 students committed to and/or already employed by Northrop Aviation. The school was founded by Jack Northrop for the purpose of training aeronautical engineers and mechanics.

Due to financial difficulties the school became independent from the Northrop Aircraft corporation in 1953 and the name of the school changed to The Northrop Institute of Technology. Unfortunately, the fate of the university did not fare much better and again closed its doors in 1970.

In 1971, the University again opened its doors and as Northrop University. Administered by previous alumni and faculty, the University offered bachelors and masters degree programs in aeronautical sciences, civil, electrical and mechanical engineering, computer science and design engineering project management. In 1975 the school received a large donation from its original founder to build the American Hall of Aviation. The museum enjoyed great notoriety from its housing of the David D. Hatfield collection of aviation history; by far the largest collection of aviation history to ever be displayed at any one location.

In August 1993, Northrop University closed its doors to the public. Mismanaged funds, decreased attendance and donations crippled the university in to bankruptcy. The universities door remain closed today though the campus still exists in Inglewood, California.

D'oh.

hesham said:
I don't know if this aircraft actually built or not ?.
I think not built, or I have never heard of it (I would have recorded it in my twin-boom database).
But thanks for this discovery, I like models as much as flying aircraft.

Here is an unusual twin-boom aircraft from a 1952 Northrop Aeronautical Institute brochure, depicting the full-scale mock-up of a student-designed side-by-side two-seat twin-boom pusher private airplane, typical of many mid-1940s or immediate post-war designs though different in size and shape to them.

I had never seen this before, and doubt it ever was more than just that: an application exercise for students in aircraft design, presumably as an end-of-syllabus project. Interesting though, not least because it was associated with the name Northrop.

Attachments

• Northrop student project.jpg
    Northrop student project.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 645
Good Day All -

My friend, Gerald Balzer, went to NAI and participated in a small way with this project:

Yes, I am quite familiar with as I made two parts for it in my engineering metalurgy training at the Institute (48/49 timeframe). I do not believe they ever tried to fly it, probably too many bureaucratic impediments to handle. It was not a bad looking bird; I believe that, that configuration was tried by other aero schools in the country, but I cannot verify such. Those were some good days.
Any other images that you might stumble across would certainly be appreciated for my Northrop Project.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Thanks Mark.

It would seem from what Mr. Balzer wrote that this aircraft was a little more than just a mockup, considering the fact he questions the possibility that it ever flew... My logic for saying this is as follows: if it had been conceived as a mockup from the start I guess he would not even have asked the question.

Hi,

http://archive.aviationweek.com/image/spread/19480322/19/2

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    79.8 KB · Views: 271
hesham said:
http://archive.aviationweek.com/image/spread/19480322/19/2

index.php

Cool find.

Regards friends,

can anyone tell me more about this plane?

THX

Attachments

• Northrop student project.jpg
    Northrop student project.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 27
I have it as a Northrop Aeronautical Institute student project, 1952.