North Korea's Military Reconnaissance Satellite "Malligyong-1"

Deleted posts relating to a BBC article on food shortages in North Korea. It it is a political discussion better off elsewhere, or every topic on development of any government funded project or system could be filled with similar arguments about better uses for the money.

NHK:North Korea informed Japan that it would launch a satellite from 24th to 31st this month.
IMG_20230822_090652.jpg
The splash zone of this launch seems to be the same as the last launch.
K10014169871_2308220711_0822071320_01_04.jpg
Original news:

Failure to reach orbit.
A news report in state-run KCNA blamed the failure on "an error in the emergency blasting system during the third-stage flight", and said the problem was "not a big issue".
It seems the rocket carrying the satellite flew further than during the previous attempt. Officials in Pyongyang had described the botched attempt in May as their "gravest failure" while vowing to try again.

Getting Russian Assistance reportedly:

Asked if Russia would help Kim build satellites, Putin replied: "That's why we came here. The leader of the DPRK shows great interest in rocket engineering, they are also trying to develop space."

North Korea experienced failures in recent months as it tried to place a spy satellite into orbit - but has vowed to try for a third time in October.

I didn't know it has one. On the other hand, now I know what Kim and Putin had for grub.

Well, one can supose that if a member takes the time to post a source here (a moderator, no less), he/she has estimated that it was a worthwhile addition, not just anything-to-up-my-post, count even at the cost of lowering the signal-to-noise ratio, like too many newbies do.

As a personal opinion, if a source is known to have zero value, then it has no place on spf.
Maybe in the Bar if it was somehow entertaining.

The signal-to-noise ratio is the most valuable asset of this forum, and it is better nurtured ex ante than after the fact. And frankly, --as a general observation unrelated to the OP--, it is not going up at the moment. I'd plead that we try to watch it and refrain from posting anything less than professional and constructive, at least in the Projects and General sections. The Bar and the Speculation sections are the outlet for the rest, if it needs one.

Do these better satisfy your sensibilities?

the entire point was that there has reportedly been discussions about Russia assisting Nth Korea in terms of satellites.

KCNA:
The NATA of the DPRK reported to Kim Jong Un that the reconnaissance satellite "Malligyong-1" would formally start its reconnaissance mission from December 1 after finishing 7 to 10 days' fine-tuning process.
……
Then he watched the aerospace photos of Anderson Air Force Base, Apra Harbor and other major military bases of the U.S. forces taken in the sky above Guam in the Pacific, which were received at 9:21 a.m. on Nov. 22.

Then he watched the aerospace photos of Anderson Air Force Base, Apra Harbor and other major military bases of the U.S. forces taken in the sky above Guam in the Pacific,

“What the hell is all of this white stuff? Enhance! Enhance!”

Anderson has a lot of cloudy days.

Any news on possible 2nd Satellite ? Can't really have just 1. They would need some more for either wider coverage or more frequent update.

Any news on possible 2nd Satellite ? Can't really have just 1. They would need some more for either wider coverage or more frequent update.
Yes, they announced more launches next year.
And also this one was their 3rd consecutive attempt within a year, after all - with apparent improvements b/n launches.

North Korean agile development.

May I ask what the speculation is based on? :oops:
Kerolox is the most volumetrically efficient first stage liquid rocket available. I mean, it's what the US used to get to the Moon!

Methalox is cheaper but requires a larger fuel tank.

Three more reconnaissance satellites will be launched in 2024.

The conclusion clarified the task for the field of space development to launch in addition three reconnaissance satellites in 2024 on the basis of the experience gained in the successful launch and operation of the first reconnaissance satellite in 2023 and referred to the nationwide full-scale measures for dynamically accelerating the development of space science and technology.