Next-Generation Rotorcraft Capability (NGRC)

Without drastic improvements to engine performance and material rigidity, going faster and farther is going to be heavier. Both FVL programs are heavier than the aircraft they are designed to replace (which were both heavier than the aircraft they replaced [UH-60>UH-1, OH-58D>OH058A/C]). So Airbus is not being nonsensical with the claim. The real decision for NATO is the frequency that they expect operate rotorcraft over extended distances. I define "extended distances" as >100NM. This appears to be the break point where speed begins to buy its way into the requirement.

A significant step frwd:
“Moving into the concepts phase is really going to define the requirements based against the threats that we’re going to be facing globally,“ Col. Alex Willman, capability sponsor of combat aviation within the U.K.’s futures directorate, said at the Eurosatory defense trade show here, just an hour after the countries inked the deal.
“What’s exciting for me is this is one of the first clean-sheet-design aircraft,” he said, adding: “NGRC to me is about transformation capability, delivering an aircraft or an airframe or a system that is an open system architecture based on digital backbones and is aimed for us as soldiers and airmen to be able to modify that aircraft to keep up with the pace of the threat.”

We can only hope that the same mistakes will not be made. Success = UH-1, Mi-8/17/171, UH-60, and Puma. Why? They are boxes in which you can add things. Really not sure why this became a problem for NH-90. I guess there was too much specialization per customer.

The challenge will of course be that the 220 knots will make a larger and heavier platform. Hopefully the European nations have done the analysis that indicates that this is a requirement.

"The new aircraft must have an unrefueled range of more than 1,650 kilometers, with a target of eight hours endurance and a load capacity between 10,000 and 17,000 kilograms (22,000 and 37,400 pounds, respectively)."

Unless there is a lot of new technology, that is going to be a much larger platform I think.

Last edited:
Reading the article, sounds like both Airbus and Leonardo are skeptical of the need for speed.

Leonardo is skeptical of speed that is not one of their programs. I believe that the Italian Air Force was enthused with the coaxial compound as they expected it to win the US FLRAA contract. They already have access to tilt rotor technology. Getting in on the other US led high tech rotorcraft would give them the leg up on two of three advanced rotorcraft technologies being worked in the west.
Two of three high speed technologies.

Reading the article, sounds like both Airbus and Leonardo are skeptical of the need for speed.
I think they are mostly waiting for budget direction from governments. Do they want to have a lot fewer platforms in exchange for those remaining being faster? and will the faster ones be affordable for wider exports?

Why do I get the vibes that this is going to turn out like NH90 2.0 with a helicopter appearing in 2070 that has a service life of about 18.23 flying hours before its retired?

Nah it'll all almost definitely split into three separate programmes

• Leonardo Italy will want to build a tiltrotor
  • Airbus France will want to build a thrust compound helicopter
  • Some countries will just buy off the shelf helicopters because the above options are both late and really expensive

Any thoughts on Leonardo joining in on the US Army FLRAA program? Or do they stay on the path of their own program? How much will the 609 program play into their efforts?

Lockheed Martin been chosen to lead the Open System Architecture study for NGRC

cheers

NGRC inching forward.
Some highlights from this piece:
Bidders will likely be allowed to pitch multiple solutions in this phase, so we may see teams offering a modern but conventional helo and tilt-rotor/compound/whatever side-by-side.

Lockheed/Sikorsky is still touting X2. After the two strikes in the US and their recent HEX announcement it seemed possible they were backing away from it.

Airbus is talking like they want to team with Leonardo on a "We are the European team building European aircraft for Europe" type bid. But Leonardo hasn't yet signed on. For their part, the Italians seem to have a few team options, all with ups and downs.

Lockheed Martin been chosen to lead the Open System Architecture study for NGRC
Anyone else find it ironic that LM has been tapped for the Open Systems Architecture study when this was their biggest weakness in Sikorsky’s FLRAA bid and ultimately caused their loss to Bell’s V-280?

Or is this a different team from Sikorsky’s Defiant team?

Bidders will likely be allowed to pitch multiple solutions in this phase, so we may see teams offering a modern but conventional helo and tilt-rotor/compound/whatever side-by-side.
Perhaps an opportunity for Airbus to pitch 2 variants of the same common platform - a simpler conventional variant and a fast “Racer” variant? They recently implied that this was technically feasible.

At this point I am inclined to think that conventional helicopters, perhaps with some novel elements like a swiveling tail rotor, are likely to be the front runners. Most likely they will be less risky and costly. Also, I am not sure that most of the NGRC signatories have a compelling requirement for significantly longer ranged rotorcraft, that make increased speed something of a requisite. Those who do have a requirement for "special" mission requirements I would think would be more inclined to purchase a small number of fast long-range platforms for their special forces. I will certainly defer to those of you across the pond if my rational is faulty.

Anyone else find it ironic that LM has been tapped for the Open Systems Architecture study when this was their biggest weakness in Sikorsky’s FLRAA bid and ultimately caused their loss to Bell’s V-280?

Or is this a different team from Sikorsky’s Defiant team?

Perhaps an opportunity for Airbus to pitch 2 variants of the same common platform - a simpler conventional variant and a fast “Racer” variant? They recently implied that this was technically feasible.
I suspect Leonardo will pitch NGTR and an improved AW101. I agree with your assessment regarding Airbus.

Indeed. Not overly surprised but the rapidity of the announcement indicates that the two tilt rotor companies have been planning this endeavor for some time.

I'm still not convinced about the tiltirotor fad, the usual suspects have been marketing them as the future for 40 years now but without much to show for it - the AW609 has gone nowhere fast since 2003, 20 years and still not in production and a handful of (still pending) sales. The V-22 has hardly been a stellar export success luring every AF in the world to Bell's door either.

I'm still not convinced about the tiltirotor fad, the usual suspects have been marketing them as the future for 40 years now but without much to show for it - the AW609 has gone nowhere fast since 2003, 20 years and still not in production and a handful of (still pending) sales. The V-22 has hardly been a stellar export success luring every AF in the world to Bell's door either.
@Hood - I certainly can see your perspective on this, however the AW609 has had years of hurdles thrown in front of it by bureaucratic government agencies who are not predisposed to change. These are the same bureaucracies that has stiff armed the Bell 525 and much of the eVTOL efforts as well. About the time that the new changes to the policies are overcome, more are added, or revisions are made.
The V-22 is indeed a specialized platform with a significant amount of technology that is unnecessary for most potential users. This of course drives the cost up as well. It is, after all, the very first operational platform of its type and as I mentioned above there are few who likely need the extended range it presents. There may be other VTOL technologies that can provide the long-distance, high-speed capabilities similar to that of tilt rotors, but to my knowledge none has been advanced to the stage that it shows fiscal and technical viability.