NBMR-4 requirement: the other Italian contenders

Skybolt

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
The official Italian submission to the NBMR-4 V/STOL transport was the G-222. What is little known is that other Italian companies submitted a design, but were told to forget about it. One of the most completely studied was the SIAI-Marchetti S-201, the first official project by Ing. Brena, former right-hand man and successor of Alessandro Marchetti (he is the father of all the S-2XX aircrafts, and was one of the designer of the Nardi FN-333, license-built by SIAI in the '50s). The S-201 was a STOL with orientable-exhaust jets and a raised cockpit to make room for a frontal door. Enjoy.
BTW, after the decision to tender the FIAT's as the natianl champion , the other companies was engaged in a consortium to build the aircraft. SIAI-Marchetti detail-designed and built the tail.

Attachments

• S-201.gif
    S-201.gif
    394.1 KB · Views: 414
Re: NBMR-4 requirement: the other Italian contender

My friend Max directed me to the twin-boom Fiat NBMR 4 (1961) project…
http://www.casr.ca/bg-aerospace-c27j-origins-1.htm
At first I thought the profile was a C-119 one but no, only the photograph is C-119, the colour profile is Fiat NMBR4.

Attachments

• nmbr4.JPG
    nmbr4.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 349

And this page directed me to a 16-pages pdf with the 3-view of the poorly known twin-boom A119. ;D
http://www.vtol.org/pdf/stov59.pdf
With twin-booms both for the rear door and for the 4 rotors…

Attachments

• a119.JPG
    a119.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 266
Yep, there was at least two convertible Italian contender to NMBR4, the Stefanutti's Capitolium military version and one Aerfer design.

There wa the A 118, too, I think ...

Attachments

• Agusta_A-118.GIF
    Agusta_A-118.GIF
    79.3 KB · Views: 246

Tophe said:
And this page directed me to a 16-pages pdf with the 3-view of the poorly known twin-boom A119. ;D
http://www.vtol.org/pdf/stov59.pdf
With twin-booms both for the rear door and for the 4 rotors…
I was focusing on twin-boomers, but this pdf shows NBMR.4 concerned at least BAC224, Aerfer2102, Agusta A118 & 119.

A drawing of the early G.222 VTOL proposal, stamp sized, but at least
showing the arrangement of the liftengines.
The site, where I found it, seems to be a dead link now ..

Attachments

• Fiat_G-222_early_01.gif
    Fiat_G-222_early_01.gif
    30.9 KB · Views: 228
Jens, that' a part of the original 1959 patent owned by Giuseppe Gabrielli on behalf of FIAT Aeritalia. I'm trying since two year to track down the entire documents, . In my last trip in Rome I finally found an hint. In a couple of months possibly I'll be able to post it. I have found a small art of the Aerfer AE 130. I'll post it.

The official Italian submission to the NBMR-4 V/STOL transport was the G-222. What is little known is that other Italian companies submitted a design, but were told to forget about it. One of the most completely studied was the SIAI-Marchetti S-201, the first official project by Ing. Brena, former right-hand man and successor of Alessandro Marchetti (he is the father of all the S-2XX aircrafts, and was one of the designer of the Nardi FN-333, license-built by SIAI in the '50s). The S-201 was a STOL with orientable-exhaust jets and a raised cockpit to make room for a frontal door. Enjoy.
BTW, after the decision to tender the FIAT's as the natianl champion , the other companies was engaged in a consortium to build the aircraft. SIAI-Marchetti detail-designed and built the tail.

From Air Pictorial 1961,

I think they meant that one ?.

Attachments

• 28.png
    28.png
    126.5 KB · Views: 51
Yep, there was at least two convertible Italian contender to NMBR4, the Stefanutti's Capitolium military version and one Aerfer design.

From Air Pictorial 1961.

Attachments

• 32.png
    32.png
    346.8 KB · Views: 34