true. it could have worked if they had the tech they have now they should have made it wider and lower

true. it could have worked if they had the tech they have now they should have made it wider and lower
Looking at it, I suspect the requirement was for an LCM that could go on land. If it was wider, it wouldn't have been able to fit aboard ships. If it was lower, there wouldn't have been space for both the running gear and the cargo.

Looking at it, I suspect the requirement was for an LCM that could go on land. If it was wider, it wouldn't have been able to fit aboard ships. If it was lower, there wouldn't have been space for both the running gear and the cargo.
just looks like the slightest hill or bump will flip it.

Very probably. Given that it was an LVT, though, that may not have been seen as a critical issue - think of it as primarily a boat that can make it above the high tide mark, rather than a tracked vehicle that can swim.

Even then, though, it doesn't seem to have been particularly good as either a boat or at dragging itself up the beach. The nearest US equivalent seems to be the LARC-LX, which went for wheels instead of tracks and was twice the width.

Very probably. Given that it was an LVT, though, that may not have been seen as a critical issue - think of it as primarily a boat that can make it above the high tide mark, rather than a tracked vehicle that can swim.

Even then, though, it doesn't seem to have been particularly good as either a boat or at dragging itself up the beach. The nearest US equivalent seems to be the LARC-LX, which went for wheels instead of tracks and was twice the width.
the LARC seems to be more practical though. the design just doesnt look practical at all. i mean they could have improved it over time. but i just dont see this being used in a military operation ('cough' operation overlord)

the LARC seems to be more practical though. the design just doesnt look practical at all. i mean they could have improved it over time. but i just dont see this being used in a military operation ('cough' operation overlord)
It will have been designed to a particular set of requirements. I suspect that requirement involved being of similar width to an LCM(6), and carrying a specified load. The fact that the result was an impractical vehicle suggests that the requirement was itself impractical.