NAVAIR Details Changes in Navy V-22 Osprey Variant

There will never a be an AEW variant unless the Brits pay for it...which they won't. The E-2D has only been in production for a few years and has arguably one of the most advanced radars of any AEW platform; the USN isn't spending a dime on some other AEW platform (nor will it invest in any ASW platform).

On November 22th, 2020, the Bell-Boeing CMV-22B Osprey for the US Navy made its first landings and takeoffs from an aircraft carrier.
Links with video and pictures:

Last edited:
fightingirish said:

Hopefully an ASW variant is in the cards. Finally. (One of the first ads for the V-22 back in the day showed one attacking a Typhoon SSBN.)

Not a full ASW variant yet, but Marine.MV-22s dropping sonobuoys.

View: https://twitter.com/3rdmaw/status/1497332533058412544?t=aBhfhdRvAGhluPD1Rqu3Vw&s=19

Great episode, in where "Flesh" talks about the CMV-22B Osprey and its possible future upgrades, capabilities and mission scenarios (i.e. CSAR, sending SOF over the horizon, etc.).
Fighter Pilot Podcast - Episode 157 - CMV-22B Ospreys Join the Fleet with "Flesh"
U.S. Navy Captain and Fleet Logistics Multi-Mission Wing Commodore Sam "Flesh" Bryant describes how the introduction of the CMV-22B Osprey as a replacement for the C-2A Greyhound is changing the nature of aircraft carrier operations and, specifically, the carrier onboard delivery (COD) mission.
0:00 The hook
0:36 Flesh introduction
3:25 CMV-22B compared to other Osprey models
7:57 CMV-22B compared to the C-2A
12:02 Mission creep for the CMV-22B
23:55 Photo review
38:45 Listener questions
56:16 Future of the CMV-22B
58:28 Wrap up
1:00:21 Callsign story
1:01:30 Credits
Video:
View: https://youtu.be/qRl9ylp6tUo

Code:
https://youtu.be/qRl9ylp6tUo

I wonder if there is a potential rebuild for the MV-22B in consideration. While a new version based on the CMV-22B might be the logical route, not sure there is funding in the USAF budget for that. The larger fuel cells would be my first desire if I were looking for a MV-22(C).

I wonder if there is a potential rebuild for the MV-22B in consideration. While a new version based on the CMV-22B might be the logical route, not sure there is funding in the USAF budget for that. The larger fuel cells would be my first desire if I were looking for a MV-22(C).

The USAF birds are CV-22s. I understand they already have extra wing fuel tanks and provision for tanks in the cabin. The enlarged sponson tanks might be desirable too, but they've already added fuel versus the Marine models and might start running into weight limits with both wing and enlarged sponson tanks.

The designations are really reversed. Based on all past practice, the USMC Ospreys should be CV-22s while the AFSOC birds should be MV-22s (or maybe HV-22s). I think NAVAIR was pushing the line that all its rotorcraft were multi-mission (hence MH-60R and MH-60S instead of SH-60R and CH-60S) and Osprey got caught up in that.

The USAF birds are CV-22s
Yeah, I knew that. Haste in typing snagged me again. I was familiar with the option to put a tank inside, but that consumes space that might be needed otherwise. Was not aware that there was more fuel in the wings.

I think NAVAIR was pushing the line that all its rotorcraft were multi-mission (hence MH-60R and MH-60S instead of SH-60R and CH-60S) and Osprey got caught up in that.
My understanding is the reason Marine Ospreys aren't CV-22 is to avoid confusion with the designation for aircraft carriers, which is CV.

Side note, there was only briefly an actual carrier called CV-22. The WWII light carrier USS Independence only had that designation for a short period before being re-designated CVL-22 for the rest of its career. It ended life being used as a target in Nuclear tests post-war.

I think NAVAIR was pushing the line that all its rotorcraft were multi-mission (hence MH-60R and MH-60S instead of SH-60R and CH-60S) and Osprey got caught up in that.
My understanding is the reason Marine Ospreys aren't CV-22 is to avoid confusion with the designation for aircraft carriers, which is CV.

Side note, there was only briefly an actual carrier called CV-22. The WWII light carrier USS Independence only had that designation for a short period before being re-designated CVL-22 for the rest of its career. It ended life being used as a target in Nuclear tests post-war.

That's a new one on me. I'm skeptical, especially since the Marine Ospreys mostly fly from L-type ships (LHA, LHD, or LPH).

Apparently the new COD version might have been called the CV-22C, which is at least accurate to the mission. CMV-22 is yet another bastard designation that violates the principles of the aircraft nomenclature system because some flag officer had a "clever" idea.

That's a new one on me. I'm skeptical, especially since the Marine Ospreys mostly fly from L-type ships (LHA, LHD, or LPH).
The source for the claim on Wikipedia is this book: https://www.google.com/books/edition/Bell_Boeing_V_22_Osprey/zCMrAQAACAAJ?hl=en&kptab=overview

I don't have access to it so I can't verify it myself. I will say I recall hearing the same reasoning elsewhere, even from V-22 pilots, but it is possible it's an urban legend that was repeated. But it's the only reasoning that I've seen sourced so it's what I go with.